View Single Post
03-16-13, 05:46 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Others that are incorrectly marked as not updated:

Thank you for the list of addons that have been updated since I last got a chance to go down the list.

Also, at this point, I don't think these addons should be included in the guide anymore:
  • Advanced Trade Skill Window - don’t agree, left it in place
  • AlphaMap – agreed, removed
  • DamageMeters – agreed, removed
  • EquipCompare – agreed, removed
  • Ion - agreed, removed
  • PallyPower – don’t agree, left in place
  • Preform AV Enabler – not sure, checking, left in place
  • Proximo – agreed, removed
  • Recipe Radar – agreed, removed
  • SatrinaBuffFrame – agreed, removed
  • SquawkAndAwe – agreed, removed
  • TourGuide – agreed, removed
  • Trinket Menu – agreed, removed
  • XBar - don’t agree, left in place

I know that some really old ones went back on there, that’s because I rebuilt the entire list completely from scratch for MoP, and then did a straight copy of that list for the latest patch. The manner in which I came up with the list meant that some old ones would inevitably get back on the list. I knew that going in and have been working on filtering them back out over time. Thanks for your help on that.

Also, I'm not sure what the intent of this guide is... there are some addons on there (like oGlow) that probably have about 10 users, and others (like Healbot or DBM) that have 100,000 users but aren't listed. If the intent is to help new addon users, there are a lot of addons listed that new users really shouldn't be encouraged to use, since they are legacy addons whose features are now provided by the default UI. For example, unless you've been using Group Calendar or Outfitter since the Burning Crusade and are just used to how they work, you should really just use the default UI's calendar invite system and equipment set manager, especially if you're new to using addons.
The intent of this page is the same as it has been ever since we introduced it back in 2008 for the 2.4 patch - to let people know which of the most popular addons (across all of the sites) have been updated for the latest patch, and where to find them (since sometimes they’ll be updated on one site before another). It was more of an issue when there used to be five different addon sites (plus an addon’s home page, if there was one) plus alpha/beta versions that people had to check. As such, it may not be as useful now as it used to be (now there are only … oh, wait, there are still four sites, it’s just that now three of them belong to the same site, plus home pages, plus alpha/beta versions), but we still get a lot of people thanking us for doing it. Not everyone wants to use updaters, or to have to check their favourites lists on multiple sites to see whether their favourite addon has been updated. This way there is a single page to check.

Also, umm, what are you talking about? DBM and HealBot are on there, they’ve been on there for years now.

As for the addons whose features (or parts of them) have been integrated into the default UI, this page isn’t about ‘encouraging’ anyone to use anything, it is about showing what the most popular addons are across the sites and about where they’ve been updated. Plus, some may like the way something is handled in an addon more than they like the ‘default’ version. Different strokes for different folks. /shrug

All in all, it seems like a strange page. It might be better replaced by a more general guide that explains how to enable "out of date" addons, what "out of date" actually means after a patch, and suggestions for using the site's Favorites feature and/or the Curse Client (Minion is dead, right?) to keep up with updates.
We’ve done that periodically (information about the ‘load out of date’ option and about using the favourites lists), but yeah, it’s probably time to do it again

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Just automate that list. Take your biggest addon downloads parsed over the last months and check the checkbox for the corresponding patch. Thus those addons will be displayed automatically.

I would not care about an addon description. People using that list are looking for an addon they know already.
Unfortunately, zork, it isn’t that easy. One addon may be crazy insane popular and downloaded a ton of times during one month, but in the over-all scheme it doesn’t stand up to some of the others that have been the top addons for ages that just haven’t been updated that month and thus doesn’t have a ton of downloads for that month. As well, not all patches are released on a monthly basis, so that too will impact the numbers. I wish it could be as easy as just parsing a single list.

The reason for the description is for those users who are looking at the list to see what addons are really popular and that they may want to try out.