View Single Post
02-28-12, 10:55 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Use Dropbox or some other online cloud storage, or an external hard drive, or a USB stick, or even CD-Rs or DVD-Rs, to back up your important stuff. Having critical information in only one place is a bad idea even if you don't use the internet. What if your hard drive fails tomorrow?

Burn a disk image to a CD and keep it around. Replace it periodically with a new one. If your computer ever has some unrecoverable software problem (such as a virus that you can't remove), you can just restore from the backup, wiping away everything that's on the hard drive.

Really, it just comes down to common sense. If you don't trust the guy, or are afraid of clicking on links, nobody here is trying to force you to click on the links he posted, or participate in his study.

Posting things like "I wouldn't click on that link without calling the place that controls that site and talking to someone first" and "I own a web hosting company" togther gives less knowledgable readers the impression that (a) you are an authority on the subject, and (b) as such an authority, you are advising them that links on the internet are scary and not to be trusted. If your personal situation means that you need to be extra cautious, that's fine; it's not your situation that bothers me, it's the impression your posts give average users.