View Single Post
04-25-12, 09:14 PM   #12
zohar101
A Cyclonian

While I'm all for more categories/subcategories, putting compilation or addon into multiple groups feels a bit like "let me post into as many categories as I can to inflate my number of downloads" strategy.

I mean what's the point. For UIs, if it's multipurpose it goes into general. If it's one specialized role, then it goes into its respective category. If it's minimalistic or has graphical highlights then you choose those categories instead. Doesn't mean it's only that. It's just the aspect you're highlighting.
Now you browse categories and you run across same compilations over and over and doesn't feel all that efficient when you're looking for variety.

I think it would be even worse for addons, trying to find that one elusive addon you know you've seen a few weeks ago, and usually I can narrow it down by category but that would now become completely irrelevant as you'd have so many more addons in each category and all repetitions from another one. I can see losing browsing by category as a search strategy altogether. What happens when you search for a term and you then sort your search results by category? Are you going to be seeing something repeated in your search results 5 times? Or you just going to lose that sorting option altogether?

This is exactly why I don't like browsing curse. It's pointless to try to use their category system cause of this. Every major category will have like 30 pages worth of stuff, most of which is only marginally related to the category itself.

Last edited by zohar101 : 04-26-12 at 07:42 AM.