View Single Post
04-20-14, 06:57 AM   #30
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
*necro*

So i was wondering if blp2png is still the best programm to convert png's into blp?

I recently faced a few problems converting png files where same colors would just be wrong in the blp but i couldnt figure out why :S

Another question would be if its possible to do texture replacements with tga's; i doubt it because i never got it to work :/
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Yes, but I was working with the idea that using BLP's would decrease the addon memory footprint of my plug-ins. Remember, not everyone has more memory available then they will ever need.
BLPs are undoubtedly better - especially if you use a compression/alpha format appropriate for the image you're saving. But, since it appears that UI textures have some degree of hardware acceleration, your first priority to save memory, is by making sure your addon is laid out efficiently.

Frames for instance, are horrible (RAM) memory hogs. If someone is using those when they could just use layers (i.e. Regions), the difference will be far more significant than between what image format they're using.