Thread: nui lag
View Single Post
08-30-12, 02:35 AM   #5
UrbanArmitage
An Aku'mai Servant
A lot of people have been complaining on the Blizzard forums about a significant drop in frame rates with 5.0.4, and I experienced the same both with the vanilla client and nUI last night. Overall I would say there has been a drop in FPS due to the MoP update of around 35% as I am now getting +/- 30 FPS in places I previously got 45 FPS or so.

One thing I have noticed is that they have now included an Ambient Occlusion control in the graphics options in the client, and it causes a significant hit in FPS in some places when enabled as it is by default. I have also noticed some graphics anomalies with AO and Multisampling that weren't there before. Obviously Blizzard have overhauled the graphics engine quite a bit and I am inclined to think that is the main cause of drops in FPS.

That said, last night at the training dummies in Stormwind I was getting around 5 FPS because of all the activity and high number of players in the area. This improved significantly when moving to a quieter area. There was also a significant increase in latency last night so I think before we can make an informed opinion of where FPS losses are coming from we need to let things settle down a bit from the patch rollout and then evaluate the impact of the various graphics options due to the changes in the graphics engine.

My 2c.