View Single Post
08-28-08, 09:40 PM   #28
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Suggestion

Here are some ideas to revamp the rating system, basically, I did a /braindump, but I hope you can understand me.

First off, a 1-5 rating, as it was in the past, did not really help me, as one seeking addons, know much about it on 1-5 scale? Of awesomeness? Awesomeness is relative. One alternative would be a "Would you recommend this addon to others?" and a "yes" and "X-Mod instead", etc. with optional or required comments. The site could even have respective tabs for this on addon pages, with the recommendations helping people understand their mods. Also, a running ticker that has the category of "Recommendations" could be placed when viewing the WoWInterface Downloads. The problem with the old system was it did not allow one to see how many votes placed at what amount, that averaged all the votes; my suggestion allows everyone to voice their opinion either way, if someone votes it down, and does not give a meaningful comment, then I could see they made it purely for stupid reasons. If someone leaves constructive criticism or comments, then I could better understand their views of a specific addon. Additionally, this could be extended to show the recommendations under the author's profile, so one could view feedback to said author. Also, rating feedback by "Was this comment helpful to you?" yes/no per a user's feedback could order the list of feedback. "Report this feedback as unconstructive?" yes/no could be added as well, allowing other users to help tag feedback that is damaging or degrading, if some number is reached, it could hide the comment from view unless someone wants to click on it to view it, and a further number, an admin could be alerted of it and then remove it if he sees fit. This feedback could also be considered as 'reviews' for the really thick, multi-parigraph comments. Highly ranked reviews could even be feautured. This system is, more or less, a sub-category of the downloads, allowing those that download, to make comments. My vision should require commenters to have a WoWInterface account, and should alert the user if they have not commented on whatever addon. Additionally, each feedbacker could have shown publicly their history how they rated mods, so those who want to understand their comments better. Also, users should be able to update their comments, though this might undermine the feedback on feedback feature; this could be rest whenever someone updates their feedback. A category "User Recommend" could be added for the top recommended addons on the main page, also, this would be yet another way to sort addons, though, should account for total recommendations to time available, with the default available counted as a month, to better prevent new addons from shooting to the top of the results. My idea would be yet another way for the community to get involved. I believe I have thought of a system to prevent fake or unhelpful feedback, though, the problem remains of getting most beyond downloading a file, and to give constructive, helpful criticism of a mod.