View Single Post
08-29-08, 08:24 AM   #37
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I posted a while ago about the horrors of an anonymous rating system which doesn't force users to leave a comment with their score - it doesn't help authors OR other users to see what amounts to a 'random number' next to an addon IMO

How a person rates an addon is highly subjective - it all depends what they were looking for and what they like/don't like - their opinions don't, therefore, help others much overall.

Similarly, as has already been said, no of downloads or time since last update are not particularly useful ways of finding the best addon either.

What I think WOWI needs, more than any rating system, are more ways for people to find addons. At the moment, some categories are quite large and the search is quite limited (to title only I think?) - this makes it hard to find addons.

It also makes it hard to upload them into the right place - my simplest addon (NowCarrying) could easily fall into both 'Chat' or 'Inventory' categories for example - many addons really need something like tags or keywords (or full description search?) to help people find them.

Another thing I'd like to see is users posting 'reviews' of particular addons/types of addons/UIs etc. Like Amazon, reviewers could be scored on usefulness/given "heat" or "thanks" by people who read them - and from that, addons can become better known - and everyone wins?

We'd need a rule that you can't review your own addons of course - and that reviews need to be objective (e.g. not just "this sucks that is dope") - but I think that would be a nice way to get more feedback for addons in general?