View Single Post
02-07-17, 08:59 PM   #1
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Need event when world is loaded, game is playable

My addon needs to display some information to the player when they log in using the alert system, similar to how you get notices about achievements being earned on log in or garrison/order missions being completed. The problem is that all the methods I've found to do this are unreliable.

I'm looking for an event that is called when the game is actually playable: The player sees their character in the world and can now start playing (moving the character around, etc.). It should preferably be called after any loading screen has finished its job, but I will settle for one that triggers A) when the character "enters the world" for the first time from the character selection screen, and B) when the UI is reloaded (as from a /reload command or the "Reload UI" button on the in-game AddOn List).

The events I've been using all trigger too soon, while the game world is still loading. I've tried using C_Timer to add a delay, but this only works sometimes: It never works after a /reload, but it usually does when entering the world from character selection (but not always! the extra long loading screens in Dalaran seem to sometimes break it, for one). Frustratingly, the C_Timer functions apparently start counting down at some point while the loading screen is still visible (and that point seems to happen sooner when you do a /reload than it does when entering from character selection).

For my purposes, the event I'm looking for needn't happen at the exact moment the player character is playable, just so long as it is reliably triggered within a couple of seconds after that point.

Last edited by Tuhljin : 02-07-17 at 09:02 PM.