View Single Post
10-06-09, 09:47 PM   #8
Faraque
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by def9 View Post
Its a great idea to me as long as the infomation buttons in say a rotation aren't clickable. Then botting accusations are out of the way as you aren't doing anything more than providing information they can find on dozens of websites including blizzards.
Man, has there just been a lot of botting threads lately? I almost feel under attack, lol.
def9, so you know, the idea of a rotation manager with changing clickable buttons is impossible within the framework of LUA and WoW. Blizzard specifically locked out the ability to do that.

Maybe something with loadable modules, so you could select a specific class and talent tree just so they'd have talent specific info like lock & load, some important talents need to be assumed. This would load only the specific info to the persons class and spec as needed saving on memory usage.
This part would be unnecessary if how I described above was in effect. My initial idea would be that it scans your spellbook, and only loads spells that you can actually cast. Maybe checks inventory/talents too, but ideally it does this on load, so there's no need for individual modules. When it starts up, it'd already only know what you could do with it.

This could let them switch back and forth if they are dual spec'd and if they have more than one toon they wouldn't need a different mod for each class/spec.
This sparks the thought that it would have to rescan talents/spellbook after a talent switch. Which is a good idea.

Also make the onscreen info box like skada/recount style.
There is no logical reason to make it look like skada or recount. Rows of bars don't depict easily what to do. Icons of skills do. Thats why the other class/spec specific rotation helpers work so well. They help people identify what next to do.

Easily moved and scaled,...
Agreed

... with a lbd/fubar button to remove clutter from the screen when its not needed.
Unnecessary. Simply hiding when out of combat/not targetting a hostile is fine. You don't need to see suggested attacks at any other time.

Of course my mod design skills are beyond horrible as I really don't understand alot of the code. Maybe I'm suggesting alot but that's all they are suggestions.
I have almost no experience with LUA and very very little in any kind of programming, so I have to bring my ideas to those that are savvy, same as you. Suggestions never hurt, so don't be shy. Even if the suggestion isn't used, it may help spark other related ideas, or help someone get out of a rut in thinking.

Still looking for a coder to champion this idea. Feel free to contact me people. I'd love to see this come to light if for no other reason than to help people learn to play better.