View Single Post
07-18-05, 12:03 PM   #28
Littlejohn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
ha ha! It is possible to hook getmetatable(foo)[__index] and trace built-in (and inherited) WoW routines on any frame object.

I tried using a proxy table with __index and __newindex methods that just forward to the original table, but that kept crashing WoW for some reason. Maybe lua doesn't like recursive metatable lookup? Anyways, WoW uses the same metatable (and therefore the same __index) on many (all?) XML frame objects. I hooked __index and collected trace history on DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME. It's possible to dynamically trace an object -- using __index you can see when a new function is called and then it can be dynamically added to the trace.

This is probably not that useful to mod authors though. The only thing that seems really cool is automatic generation of the frame XML APIs. (Where did the WoW wiki docs come from anyways?)

Legorol: What did you have in mind for this feature? Do you really want to be able to trace, for example, DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:* and have all the built-in methods show up?

Kaelten: I was hoping I understood you right. I don't think of OO in Lua as a nasty table hack -- I'd call it an elegant table hack. It's like a Python+Scheme love child. Or an alternate universe version of Perl created by a computer scientist instead of a linguist.