View Single Post
08-30-12, 07:44 PM   #43
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nuggs View Post
People are picky about their code and they may not want someone to just "take up the torch" after they have dropped the project.
The main issue with that is how to determine exactly when the project is "officially" dropped. Should everyone and their brother upload a "fan update" if the author doesn't updated within 30 seconds of a patch going live? (Based on the number of "duzint wurk updaet plz zomg broekn y abanndin omggggg ima dieeeeee" tickets I get on my addons if I don't have an update out before the patch is done downloading, some people would define it that way.) How about when they don't update for a patch, but the addon works just fine when "Load out of date addons" is checked? When the last patch introduced a minor issue but the addon still mostly works as long as you don't use Feature X? When it's been 3 years and the addon has been completely unusable for 6 months?

I'm sure there are also people who would think it was time to "take up the torch" if the author declined to add a feature they requested, or if a bug report went a month without being addressed. Certainly many users seem to think it's the end of the world when these things happen.