View Single Post
02-08-10, 07:08 AM   #51
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Cosmic Cleric View Post
To be honest, the 'feel' I'm getting about this is that this is a recent break-in, and that you all are trying to pretend its actually from a long time ago.

I honestly don't know if I'm right or wrong about it, but the perceived hostilty level I'm seeing from the admins seems excessive based on the concern of the posts being made by your users.

Do you all honestly think that this RECENT sending of emails is from a data theft from YEARS AGO?

Really?
I think that the answer to your question is yes as I have been getting a spike of phishing emails at the account I used to register with originally. However I am getting zero phishing spam at the address that I am currently using as my WoWI registered address which I have been using for the last year or so. The email address I am getting the phishing spam is the one that I used when the file vault was broken into a couple of years ago.

Many times, crackers who swipe details like email addresses don't act on the data right away. In many instances they will wait until everyone has forgotten about the theft. In many cases, the thieves will sell the harvested addresses. This is likely the case here, the thieves have sold the addresses to numerous parties or have stashed the db in some forum/community were phishers hang out.

Fortunately in my case, Yahoo is real good at filtering all this crap into the spam box. In addition, I don't use that address for day to day email anymore.

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-08-10 at 07:11 AM.