View Single Post
03-14-13, 01:54 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not sure I agree. I sometimes browse the forums in Internet Explorer when I'm at work, and have never had an issue like the one you described. I've used IE 7? 8? on Windows XP, and IE 9/10 on Windows 7, without any problems, and I've never had to do anything with "compatibility mode" on this site or any other.

Also, having administered forum software in the past, I can tell you that the read status of posts is not stored in cookies. When the forum sends you a page of posts while you are logged in, it sets a flag in the database to indicate that those posts have already been "read" by your account.

In light of that, the problem you're describing sounds more like a caching issue -- you're not actually getting a "reloaded" version of the page, so you're still seeing the same version of the page you saw before you "read" the posts. I don't really know what IE's "compatibility mode" does, but it may stop the browser from caching pages for that site, or it may make the browser check for new versions of pages more often.