12-04-08, 02:47 AM   #1
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Q : Removing embedded libs?

I am using a compilation which has got all its libs embedded (probably a good idea while Wrath updates were coming out frequently). Now things have settled down and things are more stable, I am interested in disembedding (is that the right word?) the libs and wondered what I had to do.

Just taking, for example, the ACE2 and ACE3 libs... I see for addons that use them the author has a libs subdirectory containing the libs the addon uses as well as (sometimes) an embeds.xml which explicitly refers to the libs the addon uses (usually as ../libs/Acesoandsolibname).

If I just put one copy of the libs in the Addons folder and delete the embedded duplicates, will WoW be happy to use the Addons-level copy or do I also need to go through each and every embeds.xml and delete the explicit references as well?

Thanks for the help.
12-04-08, 08:17 AM   #2
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

There is a chain of things I suspect I need to do here to disembed libs. Does this cover all the bases or have I missed anything?

1. Remove duplicates from the libs directory (but leaving any custom libs)

2. Make sure all the deleted libs are present in their correct packages (ACE2, ACE3, LibBabble etc.) in the Addons folder

3. Remove embeds.xml if present (not all addons have one even if they use embedded libs)

4. Do I then need to remove the reference to the embeds.xml from the .toc for the addon if embeds.xml was present?
12-04-08, 08:36 AM   #3
dafire
Premium Member
If you just remove the files without removing the references in the .toc files you will not gain any speed..

wow will notice (and start to log) errors about the missing files

the whole disembedding only makes sense for huge libraries like babble or maybe ace2 .. most libraries are that small nowadays that you won't notice a difference from disembedding at all.
12-04-08, 09:33 AM   #4
DanielCoffey
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

In the case of the compilation I am using, it is Babble and the Ace2/Ace3 families I am trying to disembed, so I think it is worth the effort.

Thanks for the info about the .toc - it will require a lot of careful editing I think but worth it in the end.

I am already using AddonControlPanel to reduce the number of addons loaded at any one time.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Q : Removing embedded libs?