03-06-08, 02:33 PM   #1
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Rogue/mage addons and screen shots

Hello all,

Im currently a PvP Spec Rogue, and also have a 65 Fire mage *that will be raiding weekly* im trying to get togeather a list of Addons to acomdate both rogue pvp and Mage raid.

A bit of a difficult task im sure.

but i want my screen to be open i need to see alot with arena's and Bg's and i need to be able to see every thing during raids as well.

I have a few addons which i really dont know what they are but have seen them in Screen shots.

Just to list a few that i would like and please do let me know what i should get .

First a list of what i have

Omen
Titan
Xperl
pitbull

Let me tel you what. i already know i doubled down on 2 of the same add on cause when i joined my first bg's i had 2 sets of raid groups and then the horde raid groups and lets just say that was a sight to say the least :P

SO what is better Pitbull or Xperl ?

Im also being told Titan is a bit out dated and i should go with Fubar.

what i have noticed with these addons i cant seem to see my combo points count. So im blindly doing my finishing moves . So that needs to be changed ASAP.

So here is a bit of a small list i would like.

1. i would love combat txt to scroll on my screen.
2. combo points to also scroll on my screen.
3. enemy cast bar with what they are casting.
4. a smaller set of hot buttons, that takes up less room and i can make the buttons smaller and stack roughly 3 to 4 sets of bars in the middle of my screen so i can still see every thing on the left and right side of them
5. im being told it's a archud has my health around my toon and my manna on the other side kida like a half circle .
6. a cool down count down

This is just on my rogue.

For my caster friends please do help me out cause im just lost with these addons, but i want a clean screen yet with all the info that is needed to acomplish my goals.

I do thank you for your time and insite can't wait to see what is shown to me on the addons

Thank you again all

Johnny
03-06-08, 03:41 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SO what is better Pitbull or Xperl ?

This more of personal preference, both will display the same information. If you are into totally tweaking then Pitbull has the edge. If you are just looking for something that works "out of the box" with out much hassle then Xperl. Also many PvPers use ag_UnitFrames (agUF) however it has fewer features than Xperl or Pitbull.

Im also being told Titan is a bit out dated and i should go with Fubar.

Titan was out of date, however a new dev team (rather than just one author) has picked up development. At this current time Fubar has the edge in plug-ins however there are some interesting ideas on the horizon. The Titan dev has put a lot of work into the latest version. You can find it on this site. Personally I use Fubar and have used for the last couple of years (back when it was known as "Boss Panel") however previously I had used Titan Panel (it was my first ever WoW AddOn)

what i have noticed with these addons i cant seem to see my combo points count. So im blindly doing my finishing moves . So that needs to be changed ASAP.

Try NugComboBar (found on this site). Xperl has the option of displaying combo points in the name bar in addition to the Blizzard version. Once it is full, you got five combo points. Pitbull can display either/both graphic combo points (which you change the size and placement of) or numerical combo points (again you change the size and placement of such)

So here is a bit of a small list i would like.

1. i would love combat txt to scroll on my screen.
SCT/SCTD, MiksScrollingBattleText (MSBT), Parrot. I like both MSBT and Parrot, MSBT is a bit lighter in resources, Parrot is more customizable.

2. combo points to also scroll on my screen.
Any of the Scrolling Combat Text mods I listed can display that, you may have to enable it

3. enemy cast bar with what they are casting.
Quartz, AzCastBar. Pitbull, agUF and XPerl also have cast bars/enemy cast bars.

4. a smaller set of hot buttons, that takes up less room and i can make the buttons smaller and stack roughly 3 to 4 sets of bars in the middle of my screen so i can still see every thing on the left and right side of them
Bongos2, Bartender3, Trinity Bars are excellent choices here, I use Bongos2

5. im being told it's a archud has my health around my toon and my manna on the other side kida like a half circle .
ArcHUD, DHUD, DaHUD, mHUD, IceHUD among others

6. a cool down count down
OmniCC for CD counts on your buttons, for bars Hourglass, CooldownTimer2 among others. I personally use OmniCC since it works with so many mods and the CD bar from Forte Warlock

This is just on my rogue.

For my caster friends please do help me out cause im just lost with these addons, but i want a clean screen yet with all the info that is needed to acomplish my goals.
Most of what mentioned previously will work for casters as well. Enemy cast bars for seeing what your target is casting so you use your countermeasures (Polymorph/Blink/Counterspell). CD timers are useful, you may also want to consider spell timers such as DoTimer, Chronometer, ClassTimers

I do thank you for your time and insite can't wait to see what is shown to me on the addons

All these mods can be found on this site http://www.wowinterface.com or on the WoWAce files site: http://files.wowace.com. The mods I listed will form the basis of a solid UI, anything else is just filler.

The List: (mods marked with * I currently use)

Unit Frames
- Xperl - WoWI
- Pitbull - WoWAce*
- ag_UnitFrames - WoWAce

SCT mods
- SCT/SCTD - WoWI/WoWAce
- MiksScrollingBattleText - WoWI*
- Parrot - WoWAce

Combo Displays
- NugComboBar - WoWI*
- various unit frame mods

Cast bars/Enemy cast bars
- Quartz - WoWAce/WoWI
- AzCastBar - WoWI*
- various unit frame mods

Action Bar mods
- Bongos2 WoWI*
- Bartender3 WoWI/WoWAce
- Trinity Bars WoWI

Cooldown counters
- OmniCC - WoWI*
- CooldownTimer2 - WoWAce
- Hourglass - WoWAce

HUDs
- DHUD2 (Drathul's HUD update) - WoWACe
- DaHUD - WoWI/WoWACe
- ArcHUD2 - WoWI/WoWAce
- IceHUd - WoWAce/WoWI
- mHUD - WoWAce

Spell Timers
- Chronometer - WoWAce
- DoTimer - WoWI
- ClassTimer - WoWAce

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-06-08 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Typos and post cleanup
03-06-08, 03:47 PM   #3
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Fantastic !

You answered every question i have had or ever will i belive .

Thank you so much looks like i got some dicisions to make

Thank you again Xinh for your time and answers

Johnny
03-06-08, 03:59 PM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Updated my post abit, check it out.
03-06-08, 04:01 PM   #5
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xinh View Post
Updated my post abit, check it out.

Holy WoW you did update the pants off that bad boy !

By chance can i see a screen shot of your's just curious with the knowledge you have to see what you have created.

Thank you again Xinh

Johnny
03-06-08, 04:09 PM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Sure, I just need upload my UI to a photo host, now were is that Imageshack
shortcut? Oh yes...

OK here is an SS with handy labels to some of the mods shown. Some poor Warrior was the unwilling "subject" (or should say victim? ) in this screenshot.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-06-08 at 04:32 PM.
03-23-08, 04:49 AM   #7
sircreeps
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

my mage's UI:
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/h...308_012749.jpg

i use the eepanels from UIshtara's UI, other than that i threw this compilation together myself.
03-25-08, 08:25 PM   #8
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I like that mage Ui,

So with 2.4 Live now im back to Getting my Ui looking the way i want it to look. Onward to the Dl's !

Im going to try my luck with my first list that xinh listed for me and see where that takes me WeWt

Thanks all for your help im sure i will need more in the near future

Johnny
04-08-08, 01:01 PM   #9
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Okay im back. So i re-loaded all my Add-ons and also picked up questhelper from curse-gaming.com But i cant seem to roll on items when in a group.

Has this ever happend to any one before ?

Also im not able to you pittbull to my full advantage and i need more of a group/raid/BG's Set up what should i use besides PitBull ?

Johnny
04-22-08, 01:31 PM   #10
Minoan
A Kobold Labourer
Dump pitbull, it's not a mod for a player new to custom UI's and should never be used by a newcomer. I also cut my teeth on Discord and still find using pitbull to be akin to asking for directions in New York city with a southern accent.

Simple unit frames that you can move about your screen are Sage Unit frames, found on this site. Use them until you want to go to a more advanced UF, in which case graduate to X-Perl. Everybody and his sister uses X-Perl (tho I personally never liked them).

Use Bongos2 for your bars. The mistake you were making with them earlier was not right clicking on the bar to tell it which bar to switch to when you went in to stealth. Do that and you'll be golden. I don't keep more than one main bar visible on my druid usually since I can switch based on stance. Cleans up your screen nicely.

If your having a problem with a particular mod turn all the other mods off (excluding libraries or dependencies for the mod) and log in. set the mod up as you want it then move on to the next mod. People new to mods shouldn't try to set the UI up with every mod turned on. Do it one at a time. After a while you'll get used to seeing them all on at once when you go through set-up, but for now it's kind of like looking at a restaurant's dumpster after dinner time.
05-09-08, 07:56 PM   #11
Johncena
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for the info

I love Bongo's2 but i have been having problems with my main bar will just change to some other one thats not being shown i have no idea how to stop that and my button lock wont stay one gets me angry so i might be looking for a whole new set of add-ons.

What i think i need is add-on that will show me who my tank is locked on so i know who to attack and a nice button add-on thats about it

Thanks for your help all
08-17-08, 10:07 AM   #12
Fireproof213
A Cyclonian

Use xperl and some Hud like ArcHUD or MetaHUD.
08-20-08, 08:45 AM   #13
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

Just a thought, I use Trinity bars for my action bars, the stance bars work great for both my rouge, my warrior and my druid. It is simple to learn, took me about 15 to 20 min on a toon to figure out what all the little options and everything were ^.^ Trinity has options to show/color and text cooldowns, spell timers, ect so its all there on my buttons. As well as a very simple hover/press button keybinding set up.
For my combat txt I use Sct/Sctd, its simple and customzable.
I use Fubar and love it, you can find almost any plug in you could ask for.
I use Extended unit frames atm, (I think, but im not sure, it displays cool little dots next to the targets frame showing my combo points, something puts them there, it could be this) I admit I dont use any raid frames or such atm, only the bliz default. Even on my Healer, but it works for me so far :P
I never used a archud, looks cool, but to much screen clutter for me...I like my screen open and clean.
And I use Blizz's option for cast bars on enemies (I think *shrug*) or it could be part of Extended unit frames, but it shows the cast bars so it works.

Anyway, I know its not much help, but thought I would throw out there, Trinity saved me from pulling my hair out LoL. (I got so irritated with Bongos -.-)

Of course I have many other addons for various things, like buff watchers, reminders, outfitter for quick weapon/gear changes, And Sct gives me on screen messages when different attacks proc, comes in great for my warrior and hunter, eg Kill Command ect.

Anyway, I dont know as much as some people here, and I sont use as many fancy addons, but I will help if I can if you run into any problems, I learned by a lot of trial and error so ^.^ time to share the knowledge if I can Hope you find the addons that work the best fo ryou, and still keep your sanity! Happy Gaming.

Oh, PS, I been getting a weird issue with Questhelper since the last patch, only in Bg's, I found that turning it off while in them stops the problem completly just for your Info, in case you run into it, I use cartographer for my map which has a button right there to turn on/off Questhelper, handy dandy!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Rogue/mage addons and screen shots