Unread 05-21-13, 10:29 AM   #1
Rusken
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Lua code help (stuf text)

Evening, i got this custom lua code from a fella over at mmo a couple of months back and what it does is that it shortens name like "Raider's Training Dummy" in to "R.T.Dummy".
What i need help with is to change the code so it still does what it does but i want it to look like this ->

"R.T.Dummy | 100", 100 being perchp and i want it to be colored by "hpthreshold", the name and the "|" should be white.

So, is this possible and is there any kind soul here with the knowledge on how to do this that could give me a hand?
Thanks in advance.
Rusken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-13, 04:01 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It would be easier if you posted a copy of the working code as-is. Be sure to encase it in [code] tags.
Unread 05-22-13, 06:32 AM   #3
ravagernl
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
It would be easier if you posted a copy of the working code as-is. Be sure to encase it in [code] tags.
I'm thinking it's something like
Code:
function(unit)
	local name = UnitName(unit) or unit
	name = name:gsub('(%S+) ',function(t) return t:sub(1,1)..'.' end)
	return name
end
ravagernl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-13, 10:26 AM   #4
Rusken
A Theradrim Guardian
Oh snap, forgot to do that, its the one ravagernl posted.

Code:
function(unit)
	local name = UnitName(unit) or unit
	name = name:gsub('(%S+) ',function(t) return t:sub(1,1)..'.' end)
	return name
end
Unread 05-22-13, 12:44 PM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This has an improvement over the unit's name conversion as it doesn't allocate a dynamic function to handle the string.gsub() call and it's kept on C side. The way I have the coloring work is it starts as green at 100%, moves to yellow at 50% and red at 0%. The way text colors work is they use UI escape sequences. The one for colors is in the format |cAARRGGBB in which AA, RR, GG, and BB represent hex values for Alpha, Red, Green, and Blue respectively. Although it should be customary to use |r as an end tag for colored text, it's not necessary if you're immediately changing to another color for following text. The purpose of |r is to reset the color of following text to what is set by the object that is given the string to display. The use of || is to print a literal pipe character "|" as this is used for the UI escape sequences.
Code:
function(unit)
	local short=(UnitName(unit) or unit):gsub("(%S)%S*%s+","%1%.");
	local pcnt=math.min(1,UnitHealth(unit)/UnitHealthMax(unit));-- If max is zero (it happens) assume 100%
	local r,g=math.max(0,2-pcnt*2)*255,math.min(1,pcnt*2)*255;

return ("|cffffffff%s || |cff%02x%02x00%.0f|r"):format(short,r,g,pcnt*100));
end

This is to get dynamic text colors to work in a string-only standpoint, but it'll be much better to leave the static colors in the string and control the dynamic color from a FontString object. The following code makes use of this.
Code:
function(obj,unit)
	local pcnt=math.min(1,UnitHealth(unit)/UnitHealthMax(unit));-- If max is zero (it happens) assume 100%
	obj:SetTextColor(math.max(0,2-pcnt*2),math.min(1,pcnt*2),0);
	obj:SetFormattedText("|cffffffff%s |||r %.0f",short,pcnt*100));
end

UI Escapes (WoWPedia)
Unread 05-23-13, 05:52 PM   #6
Rusken
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
This has an improvement over the unit's name conversion as it doesn't allocate a dynamic function to handle the string.gsub() call and it's kept on C side. The way I have the coloring work is it starts as green at 100%, moves to yellow at 50% and red at 0%. The way text colors work is they use UI escape sequences. The one for colors is in the format |cAARRGGBB in which AA, RR, GG, and BB represent hex values for Alpha, Red, Green, and Blue respectively. Although it should be customary to use |r as an end tag for colored text, it's not necessary if you're immediately changing to another color for following text. The purpose of |r is to reset the color of following text to what is set by the object that is given the string to display. The use of || is to print a literal pipe character "|" as this is used for the UI escape sequences.
Code:
function(unit)
	local r,g=math.max(0,2-pcnt*2)*255,math.min(1,pcnt*2)*255;

return ("|cffffffff%s || |cff%02x%02x00%.0f|r"):format(short,r,g,pcnt*100));
end

This is to get dynamic text colors to work in a string-only standpoint, but it'll be much better to leave the static colors in the string and control the dynamic color from a FontString object. The following code makes use of this.
Code:
function(obj,unit)
	obj:SetTextColor(math.max(0,2-pcnt*2),math.min(1,pcnt*2),0);
	obj:SetFormattedText("|cffffffff%s |||r %.0f",short,pcnt*100));
end

UI Escapes (WoWPedia)
Thanks but none of them seem to work when i paste them in to "use custom lua" in stuf, is it something i need to add to the actual .lua?
As you might have noticed, my lua skills are worse then worse

Go BackWoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Lua code help (stuf text)