05-18-09, 03:59 PM   #1
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lagbuster

About a week ago, I came across the Gfx addon. While it's OK for what it's for (letting players with substandard computers actually move in crowded zones, etc) it wasn't very good for borderline systems (many laptops, for example) that can handle most zones just fine, but slow to a crawl in zones like Dalaran (It's magically laglicious, donchaknow?)

So I spent the last week writing my first addon, Lagbuster ...basically it takes the Gfx concept and gives it some controls, letting you set up four separate graphics setups, loaded by a simple slash command on call, so you can lower your graphics settings in "bad" zones, and bring it back up to High quality in less laggy areas without having to go into the graphics controls manually.

Feel free to rant and/or rave (Dons Molten Core Flame Resist gear)

Last edited by Redwood Elf : 05-18-09 at 04:10 PM.
05-18-09, 04:17 PM   #2
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
Nice idea. Maybe it's just me but I would generally associate lag with latency more than framerate.
05-18-09, 04:19 PM   #3
BWarner
A Black Drake

I guess this would be referring to what could be termed "visual lag", which refers to graphic processing time as opposed to network transmission time.

Seems like a great addon! Good luck with it!
05-18-09, 08:26 PM   #4
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Ok some feedback for you:

Folder unzips to :

"Lagbuster 1.01"

This is bad. It doesn't even show up in the addons screen if you do that. I don't think the wow client likes spaces in addon folder names. I have 198 folders in my addons folder and none of them have spaces in them.

You might want to repackage with the addon folder name "Lagbuster" for simplicity's sake. IMHO having to update the folder name each time you push out a new version is bit harder then just merely naming it "Lagbuster" and including a change log or read me in the addon itself.

Matter of fact a small read me file with instructions on how to use it and a change log inside it would be good

Also you forgot to alter your version number in the Title section of your toc file

I'll do some more testing for you later (when I can find my flame retardant testing gear)

PS I moved this comment here from the comments to your addon as I thought it would be better to put such feedback here
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-19-09, 12:40 AM   #5
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by honem View Post
Ok some feedback for you:

Folder unzips to :

"Lagbuster 1.01"

This is bad. It doesn't even show up in the addons screen if you do that. I don't think the wow client likes spaces in addon folder names. I have 198 folders in my addons folder and none of them have spaces in them.

You might want to repackage with the addon folder name "Lagbuster" for simplicity's sake. IMHO having to update the folder name each time you push out a new version is bit harder then just merely naming it "Lagbuster" and including a change log or read me in the addon itself.

Matter of fact a small read me file with instructions on how to use it and a change log inside it would be good

Also you forgot to alter your version number in the Title section of your toc file

I'll do some more testing for you later (when I can find my flame retardant testing gear)

PS I moved this comment here from the comments to your addon as I thought it would be better to put such feedback here
Not sure how the zip file lost the folder and readme from the first version...but I fixed it...and edited the version number in the addon to reflect the current version and last modified date...thanks for the headsup on the missing folder...I'll be sure to doublecheck that it doesn't vanish in future uploads.
05-19-09, 09:28 AM   #6
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Ok..I added some error messages and improved the program's flow control, as well as fixing some errors in the source code comments. I'm going out of town for a week, so when I go to lunch I'm going to make sure it's all working right before I fly out...assuming the servers come up in time.
05-31-09, 02:23 PM   #7
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Run into a bit of a brick wall...in preparation for adding a GUI with clickable options, I started encapsulating the slash command options into functions, as you can see in this pastey file.

However, the slash command promptly stopped working, and I'm not sure why. The if...elseif is working (I put printouts in each one just to be sure) but for some reason, the functions aren't working.

Anyone out there with more lua programming experience who can spot what's causing the function calls to not work?

edit: To be more precise, the slash command works...it just doesn't call the functions in side the elseif blocks...

Edit Too: Found the error...was trying to save all the variables with a single ##SavedVariables directive, but it was simply nilling out the whole data structure, methods and all...now just need to figure out better how to save the variables so any changes the user makes are persistant from session to sesson...

Last edited by Redwood Elf : 05-31-09 at 05:25 PM.
06-05-09, 10:15 PM   #8
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Ok, I think it's now up and running with a functional GUI configuration panel, and full customization capability. It can now be used to create four custom graphics presets that can be programmed to load in various zones, either automatically or by a slash command.

Report any bugs you find in the comments tab on the addon, and I'll stamp them out ASAP.
06-06-09, 02:20 AM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Redwood Elf View Post
About a week ago, I came across the Gfx addon. While it's OK for what it's for (letting players with substandard computers actually move in crowded zones, etc) it wasn't very good for borderline systems (many laptops, for example) that can handle most zones just fine, but slow to a crawl in zones like Dalaran (It's magically laglicious, donchaknow?)
Your addon and the addon created by Leatrix are two completely different types of addons. The Leatrix addon has nothing to do with video settings and everything to do with ones connection to the internet (hence the Windows registry tcp ack frequency edit). Perhaps you meant to compare yours with TweakWoW.

Last edited by Petrah : 06-06-09 at 02:22 AM.
06-06-09, 09:28 AM   #10
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Your addon and the addon created by Leatrix are two completely different types of addons. The Leatrix addon has nothing to do with video settings and everything to do with ones connection to the internet (hence the Windows registry tcp ack frequency edit). Perhaps you meant to compare yours with TweakWoW.
Never heard of "TweakWOW" actually...I basically just took Gfx, stripped out the "must reboot wow to apply" stuff, and added configuration options.

If his doesn't have anything to do with video settings, then why does it change them?
06-06-09, 06:34 PM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Redwood Elf View Post
Never heard of "TweakWOW" actually...I basically just took Gfx, stripped out the "must reboot wow to apply" stuff, and added configuration options.

If his doesn't have anything to do with video settings, then why does it change them?
I see where the confusion is coming from now. Leatrix has two things on this site. One is Leatrix Gfx and the other is Leatrix Latency Fix (which isn't even an addon). My apologies.
06-06-09, 07:05 PM   #12
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Looked at TweakWOW...Lagbuster has more options as far as automation goes...you can set up four different settings configurations, using the standard video and effects interface in WOW, and store them in the four "slots" (None, Average, Bad, Very Bad) and then set each individual zone as to which of those four configurations you want to use, and whether you want to automatically load them when entering the zone, or trigger the load manually.
06-08-09, 04:40 PM   #13
Gautr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Sounds promising, will test on my laptop when its done installing xp.
06-20-09, 07:56 AM   #14
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

OK...I think I've got the penultimate version of Lagbuster up and running. You can now detatch the "Reset Graphics" button and drag it where you want it to pop up on the screen, so you don't have to open the config screen to reset the graphics when you enter a zone with new settings.
08-06-09, 11:22 AM   #15
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Updated for 3.2.

Reset Graphics button now dragable with the right mouse button, so you can position it without having it disappear as soon as you let go.
08-25-09, 03:53 PM   #16
Redwood Elf
An Aku'mai Servant

Bug free at last?

I finally spent a couple of hours hunting down and killing the annoying bug that was causing a graphics restart when zoning instad of just popping up the "Restart Graphics" floater.

I think it's finally mostly bug free now.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » Lagbuster