Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-13-10, 02:30 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,912
New Interface AddOn Kit for Authors

With the recent release of patch 4.0.1 many add-on authors may have noticed that the AddOn Kit will no longer automatically extract the lua/xml and art files from the player’s installed version of WoW. These files are now available on the World of Warcraft site in our Technical Support pages here and can be downloaded directly.

Please note, this is for AddOn Authors, not end-users. It is important to be aware that customizing the interface can be a very technical endeavor, and you should not attempt it unless you have a good working knowledge of XML and Lua.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-10, 10:17 PM   #2
Tekkub
Featured Artist
 
Tekkub's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 953
Erm... this isn't a new addon kit, it's just the files the kit is supposed to extract :P~~~

Does blue intend to update the page every beta/ptr patch?
__________________
I have reached enlightment.
Thank you bacon!
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-10, 02:58 AM   #3
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Elkano's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 119
Talking about that, is there any working mpq browser for 4.x, yet? So that one could extract single art files without having to load the whole package.
__________________
This posting is made of 100% recycled electrons.
Elkano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-10, 05:24 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI User and Supporter
 
Xrystal's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,031
I found an MPQEditor app a little while back that seems to work with the files. At least the ones I extracted anyway

Ah here we go:

http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/main.html
__________________
Xrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-10, 06:17 PM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
SDPhantom's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I found an MPQEditor app a little while back that seems to work with the files. At least the ones I extracted anyway

Ah here we go:

http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/main.html
A note to add, the general release version works fine on the core MPQs, the patch MPQs require the beta version and to be opened in patched mode over the core MPQs... the patch files don't necessarily contain the entire patched file, rather the changes in that file since the previous patch. This is what patched mode was made for. Also note the new MPQ files cannot be accessed while the game client is running, there is a built-in locking mechanism with the MPQ archives. There is a bug with MPQEditor in which it doesn't consider the "/base/" directory for patching files.

This analysis was over the Cataclysm Beta client, the 4.0.1 live client may differ.
__________________
"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools."
-Anders (Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening)

Last edited by SDPhantom : 10-14-10 at 06:20 PM.
SDPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-10, 04:46 PM   #6
Ketho
A Molten Giant
 
Ketho's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 565
German and Simplified Chinese are still missing though
__________________
Ketho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-10, 07:39 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,597
The code will be the same, just not the localizations, of course.
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Seerah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-10, 03:31 PM   #8
TSquared
Big Daddy!
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 506
The German one was missing on the web link, but the download is there:
http://us.media.blizzard.com/wow/interface/WoW_Interface_deDE.zip

Simplified Chinese is only used for China, but they are still on LK.
TSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-10, 05:28 PM   #9
Ketho
A Molten Giant
 
Ketho's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 565
Originally Posted by TSquared View Post
The German one was missing on the web link, but the download is there:
http://us.media.blizzard.com/wow/interface/WoW_Interface_deDE.zip

Simplified Chinese is only used for China, but they are still on LK.
Thanks~~
__________________
Ketho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-10, 07:27 PM   #10
samishii23
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33
To any one who was considering copying the internal FrameXML LUA/XML files from the MPQs... Even if you do that its useless, the XML / LUA files within the v4 MPQs have been converted to machine code.

I've uploaded a file removed from build 13164 (v3.3.5), and one from build 13205 (v4.0.1)
The header seems to be a PTCH, DIFF, and HXFRMR... Possible clues to what kind of encoding it may be... Who knows though.

Edit: After a little bit of research, its probably a "bsdiff" file format thats based on the bzip2 protocall.

I have a hunch though... BLPs are basicly a JPEG file with an Alpha parameter tacked onto the RGB... Looking at the New LUA file in note pad... The 1st 4 characters are PTCH then a little ways in you see the BSDIFF meaning blizzard probably made another inhouse file "Type" to make it more difficult to see / view / modify their stuff, but basicly all they did was make a extension that just added on a "pre" header to the file type before the "Original" data headers...

Just a theory anyways... Trying to figure out how to de-compress it... lol

Edit:I doubt that the PTCH hunch of blizz making a new type again is correct. The above bsdiff patch talks about making "Patch" files for easily updating binary files, with reduced size. So theres probably a dll lurking in one of the MPQs with the proper headers to decompress the new FrameXML files. =\

Thats above my level of coding at the moment though. Hope I gave someone a haed start though

Last edited by samishii23 : 10-30-10 at 05:36 AM.
samishii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-10, 07:50 PM   #11
Duugu
Premium Member
 
Duugu's Avatar
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 676
The aren't "encoded".

The "encoded" parts contain patch data for the corresponding files. (data starts with "PTCH") See http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/patchfiles.html for more.

You need a mpq editor that is able to handle these patch files (http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html) to extract the default interface files.

Last edited by Duugu : 10-29-10 at 07:53 PM.
Duugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-10, 08:01 PM   #12
Tekkub
Featured Artist
 
Tekkub's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 953
If you just want the interface files (and their history)... http://github.com/tekkub/wow-ui-source

If you're just interested in deciphering the new format, well that's a different matter entirely now isn't it?
__________________
I have reached enlightment.
Thank you bacon!
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-10, 08:26 PM   #13
samishii23
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
The aren't "encoded".

The "encoded" parts contain patch data for the corresponding files. (data starts with "PTCH") See http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/patchfiles.html for more.

You need a mpq editor that is able to handle these patch files (http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html) to extract the default interface files.
Whoa... Thats actually a nice read. Thanks
samishii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-10, 06:27 AM   #14
samishii23
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
With the recent release of patch 4.0.1 many add-on authors may have noticed that the AddOn Kit will no longer automatically extract the lua/xml and art files from the player’s installed version of WoW. These files are now available on the World of Warcraft site in our Technical Support pages here and can be downloaded directly.

Please note, this is for AddOn Authors, not end-users. It is important to be aware that customizing the interface can be a very technical endeavor, and you should not attempt it unless you have a good working knowledge of XML and Lua.
I've read up before that Blizzard doesn't really update this Kit that often, or in a timely manor ( obviously because they don't support Addon making, which I've been told alot lately... ). I think I'll toss a couple of links into my profile that'll link to most recently updated "Kit" files for the community.

Last edited by samishii23 : 10-30-10 at 10:55 AM.
samishii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-10, 09:43 PM   #15
DonCorneo
A Cyclonian
 
DonCorneo's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by samishii23 View Post
I've read up before that Blizzard doesn't really update this Kit that often, or in a timely manor ( obviously because they don't support Addon making, which I've been told alot lately... ). I think I'll toss a couple of links into my profile that'll link to most recently updated "Kit" files for the community.
"! X:\...\WoW\wow_interface_addons_13205.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged" error when trying to extract Addon/FrameXML archive.
DonCorneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-10, 04:46 PM   #16
samishii23
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by DonCorneo View Post
"! X:\...\WoW\wow_interface_addons_13205.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged" error when trying to extract Addon/FrameXML archive.
I didn't have any problem with it, even re-downloading the archive myself.
Edit: MPQ Editor by Zezula (updated to latest V) aren't properly patching the files for recent build(13329).
Emailed Zezula. Don't know what to do though until can extract properly or he fixes the Editor.
Edit: I found my problem. Updated both packages.

Last edited by samishii23 : 11-24-10 at 09:09 AM.
samishii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-13, 03:51 PM   #17
A_Nolan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
 
A_Nolan's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16
AddOn Kit for the new PTR

where do we find the xml/lua files for the new PTR's i am asking because they removed multiple table codes for the reputation frame and i need to know what the compatible table lines are so i can upgrade to 5.2

sorry for the bump but i searched for AddOn Kit lua/xml and the other two were over 2 years old so this was the most recent

__________________
w.w.J.d. read the book and find out (J 3:16)
A_Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-13, 04:05 PM   #18
Tekkub
Featured Artist
 
Tekkub's Avatar
Featured
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 953
https://github.com/tekkub/wow-ui-source/tree/ptr
__________________
I have reached enlightment.
Thank you bacon!
Tekkub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-13, 04:12 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer
 
Seerah's Avatar
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,597
You are able to extract it yourself now from the client since the start of Cata.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Viewing_Bliz...interface_code
__________________
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Seerah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-13, 05:22 AM   #20
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
zork's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
If you just want the interface files (and their history)... http://github.com/tekkub/wow-ui-source

If you're just interested in deciphering the new format, well that's a different matter entirely now isn't it?
This. I use Tekkubs source all the time when I hack Blizzard code or try to check out ui templates.
__________________
| Simple is beautiful.
| Roth UI | Roth UI FAQ | GoogleCode | Zork | TDMOG

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
zork is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go BackWoWInterface » Site Forums » News » New Interface AddOn Kit for Authors

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off