Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-12, 10:39 PM   #1
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
carboniteaddon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,245
Exclamation Carbonite 5.041 Source Released

Haavok and I have decided we will not be updating Carbonite any longer. We no longer play WoW and just have too many others things going on in life to devote any time to it.

We have decided to release the full Carbonite addon code under GPL license. I have stripped out or commented out various debugging lines in the code that were normally stripped out in our build process. The files should run as is, but I did not test my changes.

The source zip file is available here:
www.carboniteaddon.com/download

Thanks,
faatal
__________________
faatal

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 09-30-12 at 10:42 PM.
carboniteaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-12, 10:46 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,928
Thank you both for all you have done for the community over the years, Faatal and Haavok, you will be missed. Safe travels, hopefully we'll see you somewhere down the road in some other game.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-12, 10:56 PM   #3
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer
 
carboniteaddon's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,245
Thumbs up

Thanks Cairenn, you guys run a classy operation and have always been supportive.

Take care,
faatal
__________________
faatal
carboniteaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-12, 11:17 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,082
While I am sorry to hear it as you guys have done amazing things and worked real magic with your addon, I do want to thank you for releasing it and allowing us to carry on with it.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Rythal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-12, 11:54 PM   #5
Kathan
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 33
Thank you for doing this. I know how life can 'get in the way' of doing the things you'd like to do, and it can be rough. Just know that you've made thousands, if not millions of people inadvertently happy for releasing this to the general public so that it can be updated and improved upon.

Best luck to the both of you in future endeavors.
Kathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 12:00 AM   #6
tinyu
A Molten Giant
 
tinyu's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 816
best of luck to you both Haavok and Fataal and Goodluck to you Rythal.
__________________


"There's no such thing as too many addons."
Lothaer
Titan Dev Team Member.
tinyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 12:01 AM   #7
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Thanks for all that you have done for us, the players and users of your great addon.

Please do stop by sometime and say hello - I will surely miss you all and hope that someone (like Rythal) will take it over and add to it to continue to make it as great as your dream for Carbonite is/was.

Enjoy your work and family time!
schizophrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 12:08 AM   #8
Choonstertwo
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
 
Choonstertwo's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 104
I love this AddOn, thank you for releasing it as open source! (And thanks to Rythal for continuing to update it)
Choonstertwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 12:28 AM   #9
mondoz
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31
Thanks for everything!
mondoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 01:10 AM   #10
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard
 
Coote's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 431
This was the last thing I expected to happen. I figured pigs would be able to fly before this (mmmmm pork chicken wings /drool). I may not have been a Carbonite user, but still, thank you Faatal, and Haavok for the years you had spent on this, and even more-so for GPLing it in the end.
__________________

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
Coote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 01:14 AM   #11
Goranth
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Thumbs up Website/WoWI

My only other question would then be are you passing on the website/WoWI page etc? It seems obvious who is going to be spearheading the revitalization and being able to do things like merge the topics form the supporter only forums or post the latest release to carboniteaddon.com would make Rythal's and the communities lives easier.

Kudos to all the great work to now and thanks for letting it live on legally!
Goranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 01:16 AM   #12
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 134
Originally Posted by Goranth View Post
My only other question would then be are you passing on the website/WoWI page etc? It seems obvious who is going to be spearheading the revitalization and being able to do things like merge the topics form the supporter only forums or post the latest release to carboniteaddon.com would make Rythal's and the communities lives easier.

Kudos to all the great work to now and thanks for letting it live on legally!
If you have seen that Carbonite has already been updated and Rythal is one of the ones who can update (with Fataal and Havok). So I believe this part has been done, at least for the updating.

As for the supporters forum, there hasn't been anything really worthwhile in there for quite some time, we all pretty much use the general forums anyways.
schizophrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 01:26 AM   #13
Goranth
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
If you have seen that Carbonite has already been updated and Rythal is one of the ones who can update (with Fataal and Havok). So I believe this part has been done, at least for the updating.

As for the supporters forum, there hasn't been anything really worthwhile in there for quite some time, we all pretty much use the general forums anyways.
The update on this site is the buggy one the devs released before deciding to pass on the torch. Rythals modded cata version is posted on his own site and I didnt see one here. carboniteaddon.com has been updated to remove the donate link, but still has the previously mentioned release. You could be right tho, I'm hoping they gave Rythal admin control on either or both.

And good to know I haven't missed anything in the other forum LOLOL
Goranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 01:31 AM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides
 
Cairenn's Avatar
Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,928
Originally Posted by Goranth View Post
My only other question would then be are you passing on the website/WoWI page etc? It seems obvious who is going to be spearheading the revitalization and being able to do things like merge the topics form the supporter only forums or post the latest release to carboniteaddon.com would make Rythal's and the communities lives easier.

Kudos to all the great work to now and thanks for letting it live on legally!
I have already transferred ownership of the project, along with moderation abilities in these Carbonite forums, to Rythal.

Whether Haavok and Faatal will pass along the site as well, however, is a real toss up. Unless Rythal, or some group of individuals, offers to pony up the costs for it, though, I don't much imagine they would. My guess is that it'll just poof after a time. Don't quote me on that, though. Imo, it isn't really necessary, the files are here, the forums are in place, it's easy for Rythal to open up his portal and use that for all of the necessary documentation, news reports, etc. But both of those things aren't up to me. Time will tell I guess.

Either way, WoWI will continue to offer Rythal & the Carbonite community every assistance we can.
__________________
I'm fine. You know what 'fine' stands for, don't you? Yeah - Freaked Out, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 02:51 AM   #15
Xarl
A Black Drake
 
Xarl's Avatar
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 88
Thank you Faatal and Haavok for releasing the Code and i wish you both the best.

And big Thank you as well to Rythal for picking this up
Xarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 03:51 AM   #16
jizar
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6
Tkx

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Haavok and I have decided we will not be updating Carbonite any longer. We no longer play WoW and just have too many others things going on in life to devote any time to it.

We have decided to release the full Carbonite addon code under GPL license. I have stripped out or commented out various debugging lines in the code that were normally stripped out in our build process. The files should run as is, but I did not test my changes.

The source zip file is available here:
www.carboniteaddon.com/download

Thanks,
faatal
Thank you so much, thanks to that i already made a ptBR version fully working
jizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 06:14 AM   #17
SnufferBuffer
A Defias Bandit
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Ok I have just today on 10/1/2012 downloaded the two files of:

Carbonite-50501.zip & CarboniteGPL_5041.zip

I am not a guru at this stuff but I have looked in the files and see some changes and newer dates on files and all but wanted to make sure before I do anything.

Now mind you I right now have installed and working on my system this file I downloaded a few weeks ago of : Carbonite-5.041.zip

Now my question is this, Which of the two files mentioned at the top of this post is the one that I want to install on my system to get the latest updates, and has there been announced a new location where we can get any updates of the Carbonite Add On from now, (10/1/2012), on?

Thanks for any INPUT and advice you gents may have.

Snuffy . . . .

Last edited by SnufferBuffer : 10-01-12 at 06:18 AM.
SnufferBuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 06:50 AM   #18
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Thank you both for all you have done for the community over the years, Faatal and Haavok, you will be missed. Safe travels, hopefully we'll see you somewhere down the road in some other game.
Yes, thanks for everything guys!

It looks like they took down the donations link, but if anyone else feels that this would be a good time to drop one last tip in the jar, the last Paypal address I had for Carbon-Based Creations was <carvandude2000@yahoo.com>.
clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 06:54 AM   #19
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by SnufferBuffer View Post
Ok I have just today on 10/1/2012 downloaded the two files of:

Carbonite-50501.zip & CarboniteGPL_5041.zip

I am not a guru at this stuff but I have looked in the files and see some changes and newer dates on files and all but wanted to make sure before I do anything.

Now mind you I right now have installed and working on my system this file I downloaded a few weeks ago of : Carbonite-5.041.zip

Now my question is this, Which of the two files mentioned at the top of this post is the one that I want to install on my system to get the latest updates, and has there been announced a new location where we can get any updates of the Carbonite Add On from now, (10/1/2012), on?

Thanks for any INPUT and advice you gents may have.

Snuffy . . . .
Download the one here from WoWI, it's the entire package with my fixes using the old code, the GPL one we don't know if it runs or not and is what i'll be using going forward.
Rythal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-12, 08:01 AM   #20
HerrDrache
A Murloc Raider
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you for creating Carbonite and maintaining it over the years. It has made my wow-time even more enjoyable.
And now that you're busy in real life (while the rest of us are still hopelessly addicted), thank you for GPL-ing the code and giving Rythal access to whatever he needs.
Last, but not least, of course, thank you Rythal for stepping in and taking over.

You all are an exceptional bunch of people - best of luck in all that you do!
HerrDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go BackWoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite: General Discussion » Carbonite 5.041 Source Released

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off