12-26-12, 11:40 PM   #1
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
nodes and notes missing

Not sure where this thread belongs but as of 5.0591 I no longer see my notes or mining nodes. Besides the Google style map, the only reason I have stuck with Carbonite. I have yet to check the herbs on my alt but I don't feel good about it. I thought that info was safe from changing new builds. Yes in my options those are checked. I have several months of exploring that may have been lost any help appreciated and if this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it around. I hope there is an easy fix and I appreciate all Rythal is doing but this enormous project and may take a long time to be completed. I wish I had the no-how to help, but i don't. Checkeing my alt now to see if that data is gone too.

Last edited by davie261 : 12-26-12 at 11:45 PM.

12-27-12, 07:26 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Nothing has changed in notes or mining nodes, and no part of the upgrade should of removed them from your personal WTF folder.

12-28-12, 10:24 PM   #3
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Nothing has changed in notes or mining nodes, and no part of the upgrade should of removed them from your personal WTF folder.
Thanks for responding Rythal. After finally being able to play some more, I am missing the mining nodes in panderia only, and the notes everywhere. My herbalist has lost all herb locations except the ones I find now. I do not understand how this can be as you say, that info would be stored in my WTF folder, correct? It is remembering the new ones i find so I guess I will just refind them and save a copy of my WTF folder periodically.

PS. Can you tell me the name of the file and where in my WTF the nodes and notes are kept? There are several SavedVariables folders. TY

Last edited by davie261 : 12-28-12 at 10:39 PM.

12-29-12, 10:00 PM   #4
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well I can tell everyone is hanging on the edge of their seats to know how I am doing with my problem LOL.

I copied the whole server folder, in my case Kul Tiras and the savedvariables folder in my WTF\Account\(accountname) from a laptop I played the game on over 2 months ago and all my notes and nodes are back except for Panderia, which I am not too sure I had many, if any back then. This to me proves something has altered that info, whether the new Carbonite or betas or a virus.. I don't know. I could be my WoW files got corrupt somehow, this is an old puter. (New one coming next week) I guess I will try gatherer as I believe they may have a database I can download.

Well thanks everyone for all your help and Happy New Year!

01-03-13, 12:00 AM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
you "can" in theory download the beta version, and install just the nodes folder from it then use the import nodes and it'll give you all of panda we have so far.... tho i haven't tested it to know for sure I don't see why it wouldn't work since as I said earlier nothing has changed in how it stores notes/nodes.

01-03-13, 12:24 AM   #6
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
you "can" in theory download the beta version, and install just the nodes folder from it then use the import nodes and it'll give you all of panda we have so far.... tho i haven't tested it to know for sure I don't see why it wouldn't work since as I said earlier nothing has changed in how it stores notes/nodes.
Thank you Rythal, I will try that as I am really only missing the nodes from Panderia now

01-20-13, 10:51 AM   #7
kmatthiensen
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Notes missing in Townlong Steppes

My notes are missing from Townlong Steppes in Pandaria. This is the only place that I have had this problem. I just added a test note and it is not even showing.
Now if I go into another area such as Kun-Lai Summit and I right click on a note in that area and click "find note" and then change the area on the left side of the box to Townlong Steppes, all of my notes are listed but only one note actually shows up on the Townlong Steppes map and it blinks. However, if I scroll in to the map, I no longer see it.

I am wondering if it has to do with how zoomed in the map is when I click to add note???

Any ideas?

Like I said, so far it is only this area.

Thank you for all your hard work!

01-20-13, 11:06 AM   #8
kmatthiensen
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I did find that by clicking on the only blinking note, I can then click "find note" and click on another note that is listed. That note will then blink but only that one. So I have to go through that work around each time I want to find a note on that part of the map. While it is a work around, it is very inconvenient since it should just be showing up on the map.

01-29-13, 07:54 AM   #9
BossHawg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have had this same issue with all releases since I started using it with v3.x
All my notes and newly found mining/herb locations not imported are gone, including this 5.1.2 release.
I have to start all over and import nodes, then mess with the game interface to get them to show on the map and get targets to screen sparkle again.

I presume its my fault for simply copying the new release contents to the game folder, overwriting existing files, as there is no other obvious way to update it that I have found. Probably not a huge importance since these areas are not traveled much by toons no longer hammering out quests for those zones.
Maybe added notes and new found stuff (such as new nodes and rare beasties) should be kept in a local folder this creates so new updates simply cant overwrite those files?

I love this addons maping so much I dontated to its almighy coders fund, because the maping is exceptionally better than the wow map, with the exception of where quest points are at, usually are close to the actual location but lately are very far off for !/? spots, even missing npc's for getting !'s.

Also I would really love this thing more if it were to colorize node flashes and quest points, say for those underground/water, (above or below your horizon plain) so you can quickly grab them on your epic farming runs vs shouting at the screen, WTF is it!? oh fudge, its in a cave....

01-29-13, 11:41 AM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by BossHawg View Post
I have had this same issue with all releases since I started using it with v3.x
All my notes and newly found mining/herb locations not imported are gone, including this 5.1.2 release.
I have to start all over and import nodes, then mess with the game interface to get them to show on the map and get targets to screen sparkle again.
Making the target (target = whatever you're gathering profession is) "sparkle" has absolutely nothing to do with Carbonite or any other addon. It's a setting within the game itself (and, to me at least, seems to be wildly inconsistent in its' application).

I presume its my fault for simply copying the new release contents to the game folder, overwriting existing files, as there is no other obvious way to update it that I have found. Probably not a huge importance since these areas are not traveled much by toons no longer hammering out quests for those zones.
Maybe added notes and new found stuff (such as new nodes and rare beasties) should be kept in a local folder this creates so new updates simply cant overwrite those files?
It is ALWAYS better to delete the folder(s) for the addon you are updating before you install the latest update, rather then letting them be overwritten. Overwriting the installed folder(s) for an addon can lead to corrupting the addon itself (any addon, not just Carbonite) and lead to all sorts of strange problems with an addon that don't seem to be able to be repaired either easily, or at all.

I love this addons maping so much I dontated to its almighy coders fund, because the maping is exceptionally better than the wow map, with the exception of where quest points are at, usually are close to the actual location but lately are very far off for !/? spots, even missing npc's for getting !'s.
That's something Rythal is working on. Please be patient. He is currently revamping Carbonites quest module so it works better and has a more complete quest database.

Also I would really love this thing more if it were to colorize node flashes and quest points, say for those underground/water, (above or below your horizon plain) so you can quickly grab them on your epic farming runs vs shouting at the screen, WTF is it!? oh fudge, its in a cave....
That, unfortunately, is just not currently possible. Addons (in general, not just Carbonite) have absolutely no access to the active node icon on Blizzards MiniMap (the only place that icon appears), which is the "flashing node" you see on Carbonites minimized map when the maps are merged. Perhaps that could be accomplished if Blizzard ever lets addons have access to that API, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » nodes and notes missing