03-12-13, 07:53 AM   #1
kaltoran
A Murloc Raider

considering attempting to ressurect Dock addon

Hello, Im not sure if anybody remembers an addon going by the name of dock that was in development around 2008, but im wanting to try and (with relatively basic but developing LUA knowledge) attempt to ressurect this addon... I consider it to be something that i would like to put any amount of time into to bring it up to speed concerning what it would need to be considered of a standard that it could operate with stability but im not sure whether it would work or not...

http://www.wowace.com/addons/project-5416/
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Dock.html#info

Thats the addons current home, abandoned since the given date... Of course I havent actually taken steps to attempt to contact the author of Dock, in fact im somewhat apposed to doing anything bvefore I might persuade a kind soul who knows a deal more about this sort of thing than i do, who might be able to take a quick look at the coding and let me know if i have a battle on my hands in getting it back up to running standards...

Anyway, just thought id put it out there, ive ben eyeing off this addon for a few years now and always thought it a little sad that some addons which seem to show great potential are in some instances left by the wayside neglected and forgotten. Cheers Katia

Last edited by kaltoran : 03-12-13 at 08:13 AM. Reason: included its address on wowinterface
03-13-13, 06:28 AM   #2
Silvanas
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
i have never known aboit it, and i think the tabbed verison is over the top where it has to much interfernce with other ui elements

but the basic idea od dropping an addon frame to the side is verry awsome
03-13-13, 07:08 AM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It was an amazing "proof of concept" addon at the time, made quite a splash.

I think you'll have your work cut out for you trying to update it.
It will definitely require a high degree of familiarization with the frame API and animations.

I'm assuming it was done with textcoord transformations at the time which complicates things even further.
(that part is 'mathy' and you'd probably want to get rid of as much of it as you can in favor of animations)

So yea, I expect it will be an uphill battle, that's the main reason you haven't seen any fan updates / fixes when it broke, it had a passionate following, if it was trivial to update it would have been done.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » considering attempting to ressurect Dock addon