08-09-10, 03:51 PM   #1
Louisa Bannon
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Question Save Which Files?

I want to backup the Carbonite files in my WoW installation because I have made extensive notes on the maps. I want to save Carbonite as a whole so it can just be popped back into place should the need arise. Which files do I save?

This is a separate task from backing up WoW as a whole - that's not what I am asking about. Sometimes one has to perform a clean reinstall and I would like to be able to reinstall Carbonite - and my saved notes - over the fresh install.

Thanks in advance and congratulations on a wonderful WoW add-on.

08-09-10, 06:07 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
I want to backup the Carbonite files in my WoW installation because I have made extensive notes on the maps. I want to save Carbonite as a whole so it can just be popped back into place should the need arise. Which files do I save?

This is a separate task from backing up WoW as a whole - that's not what I am asking about. Sometimes one has to perform a clean reinstall and I would like to be able to reinstall Carbonite - and my saved notes - over the fresh install.

Thanks in advance and congratulations on a wonderful WoW add-on.
The notes for your Carbonite maps are kept in "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua". There are also "Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files kept in each characters' folders own "SavedVariables" folder, but I have only ever found "taxi" information there so I suppose you could save them if you wish. I really think this (taxi) information is also kept server-side, though.

Hope this helps you.

08-10-10, 04:54 AM   #3
Jigain
A Molten Giant

I think the character-side LUA file contains a bit more than taxi info. For example, each character has a few settings that are character-specific, such as window locations and what items are currently being "Show..."n on the Carbonite map. I find it hard to believe these are saved outside of the SavedVariables for the specific character in question. Do note this is only my speculations, but I think the arguments are sound.

Second, Carbonite updates your taxi info every time you visit a flight master on one of the continents (as in, if you visit the Stormwind flight master, it registers all the flight masters you've visited in Eastern Kingdoms). So any loss of taxi information is easily restored by visiting any flight master in Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Outland and Northrend respectively.

08-10-10, 11:12 AM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The generic Carbonite.lua file saved into WTF\Account\AccountName\SavedVariables is the one that contains all the settings and quest completion data and most likely notes as well.

The Character specific Carbonite.lua file within each characters SavedVariables folder only contains Flight Path information. Nothing else.

08-10-10, 11:16 AM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
I think the character-side LUA file contains a bit more than taxi info. For example, each character has a few settings that are character-specific, such as window locations and what items are currently being "Show..."n on the Carbonite map. I find it hard to believe these are saved outside of the SavedVariables for the specific character in question. Do note this is only my speculations, but I think the arguments are sound.

Second, Carbonite updates your taxi info every time you visit a flight master on one of the continents (as in, if you visit the Stormwind flight master, it registers all the flight masters you've visited in Eastern Kingdoms). So any loss of taxi information is easily restored by visiting any flight master in Eastern Kingdoms, Kalimdor, Outland and Northrend respectively.
Please do open any "Carbonite.lua" or "Carbonite.lua.bak" file you wish. Any text editor will do. You might be surprised at the differences between the .lua and .lua.bak files, though.

08-11-10, 02:23 AM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Woops! My bad.

Hmm, wonder where character-specific things are saved then...

Anyhow, in that case, the character-side LUA files can be safely ignored, the flight path info will be updated each time you visit a flight master as detailed above.

08-11-10, 07:07 AM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Woops! My bad.

Hmm, wonder where character-specific things are saved then...

Anyhow, in that case, the character-side LUA files can be safely ignored, the flight path info will be updated each time you visit a flight master as detailed above.
Not at all, Jigain. It's an easy assumption if you have not opened one of those files, and makes sense. In the real world. But, we're talking WoW here, so....

Character specific settings are in the "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua" file. Along with a ton of other stuff, including the notes you set for the maps. Open it up and take a look.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Save Which Files?