11-06-14, 11:03 AM   #1
Gallian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Diablo 3 style minimap.

EDIT: I actually have 2 requests, the minimap is just one of them - but I'd like to see it included in a full UI replacement that would fit a updated modern UI design with useful features like Neav UI has, in the world of warcraft style, without being too bright, or washed out. This is a larger request, so it's not the main request which is why I've only updated the post with 'EDIT' and told you about it instead of updating the title, or making a new post, or even highlighting text and making things stand out more.

I notice, even though there are Diablo 3 styled UI elements and even full on UI replacements, there isn't an actual minimap included anywhere that looks like the Diablo 3 minimap. Which is semi transparent, and just kind of fits in with the world as well as the UI. It's much better than anything I've seen as a minimap in my opinion. It's not intrusive, yet it's styled to match games of similar UI design style, which WoW has, but is older.

I would like to request for someone to make such a minimap, if anyone has the time or ability to do so. Unfortunately I don't even get to play the game as much as others do, due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis, and suffering through pain from it. So, I don't think I'd be able to handle the work involved in learning the code and then applying what I learned to make it, and keep it updated...

If I have to, I'm willing to donate to a project like this. I intend to use the minimap with UI's like Roth UI, ArcUI and or Neav UI / AftermatthUI as well as others similar to them that I find interesting. (I keep a folder separate from the WoW Interface/WTF/Font folders that I keep each UI I like in their own folders, just for clean organization and back up for easy access to just swap and replace, and re-configure any time I want to use a different one)

I really like UI's like the ones I mentioned because they don't deviate too far from the World of Warcraft design style, while still making it more modern, or updated and overall just better. Someday, I hope someone re-does the entire UI to be an updated, matches the game style without any inconsistencies in the design useful features like Neav UI has done, along with maybe a skin for Cumbuctor to match (which is my favorite bag addon).

If anyone is willing to take a stab at it, let me know. I'd very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance for anything you can contribute to my request.

Regards,
Gallian Mograine

Last edited by Gallian : 11-06-14 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Updated with another request
11-06-14, 11:16 AM   #2
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You can't just style the existing minimap to look like diablo's, you'd have to manually create your own textures for every map which would be a ton of work either doing it by hand or writing a program to do it.
11-06-14, 11:58 AM   #3
Gallian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
You can't just style the existing minimap to look like diablo's, you'd have to manually create your own textures for every map which would be a ton of work either doing it by hand or writing a program to do it.
I'm aware of that. People have done similar projects. As I said, I'm willing to donate for a project like this. I'm not a little kid with no money. Money motivates people, I have some extra money available after every pay check. I am able to pay for this sort of thing, if I have to. If I don't, great - if I do - I'm fine with that.
11-06-14, 12:03 PM   #4
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I haven't played Diablo in a while, could you post an example screenshot of what you want the minimap to look like?

I probably won't be able to help you achieve what you want, I'm just curious.
11-06-14, 12:04 PM   #5
Gallian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Choonstertwo View Post
I haven't played Diablo in a while, could you post an example screenshot of what you want the minimap to look like?

11-06-14, 12:07 PM   #6
Gallian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

11-06-14, 12:09 PM   #7
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thanks.

That would definitely be a non-trivial task. As a temporary measure, you can try reducing the opacity of the minimap and see if that's somewhat similar to what you're after.
11-06-14, 12:22 PM   #8
Gallian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks.

That would definitely be a non-trivial task. As a temporary measure, you can try reducing the opacity of the minimap and see if that's somewhat similar to what you're after.
Thanks. I would actually prefer something as remotely similar as possible to the 2nd image I shared though. If at all possible. The minimaps that are part of the UI's I am using, do not have an option to change the opacity of them and I don't understand the code to do it in the code and neither of the minimaps in them are actually at the right size and or shape to even achieve this.
11-06-14, 03:04 PM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you're comfortable with just adding transparency to the minimap, you can test the idea by running the following command in chat.
Code:
/run Minimap:SetAlpha(0.5)
You can change the number anywhere between 0 and 1, it acts as a percentage of opacity. As an example, 0.5 is 50% opacity.

Note this is only to test a process. As most if not all minimap buttons are parented to the minimap itself, the change in alpha will affect them as well.
11-06-14, 03:18 PM   #10
Gallian
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
If you're comfortable with just adding transparency to the minimap, you can test the idea by running the following command in chat.
Code:
/run Minimap:SetAlpha(0.5)
You can change the number anywhere between 0 and 1, it acts as a percentage of opacity. As an example, 0.5 is 50% opacity.

Note this is only to test a process. As most if not all minimap buttons are parented to the minimap itself, the change in alpha will affect them as well.
Thanks. However, I don't use the default minimap. The design of it is round, it wouldn't really suite it. I will have to find a square one and try it with that.
11-06-14, 03:23 PM   #11
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Square minimaps are just the standard minimap with a square mask applied so, try the test anyway.
11-06-14, 03:31 PM   #12
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can't set the alpha of the minimap indoors, and making it just transparent isn't really very close to the diablo minimap, which basically just shows the outline of walls.

I think the closest thing that wouldn't be insanely difficult to implement would be to draw the world map instead of the minimap background and make that transparent.
11-08-14, 03:44 AM   #13
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The OP mentioned the desire of opacity control as a more feasible option. The mention was for testing to see if the OP deemed it acceptable.
Originally Posted by Gallian View Post
... I would actually prefer something as remotely similar as possible to the 2nd image I shared though. If at all possible. The minimaps that are part of the UI's I am using, do not have an option to change the opacity of them ...

Last edited by SDPhantom : 11-08-14 at 03:49 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Diablo 3 style minimap.