08-19-17, 10:49 PM   #1
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Do addon authors get all white or black list of aura ID by themselves (in person)?

For some raid frame addons, they tend to display buff or debuff icons on top of each unitframe especially on boss encounters.

Such as:

Echoing Anguish
Felclaws

And when I dig into their codes, I see a list of table that is filled with dozens of aura IDs.

Of course, some would just let users to build their own list tho

So, as in the preceding case, do authors collect themselves a list of auras (one by one) in person? or would there be any well organized list available?

Last edited by Layback_ : 08-20-17 at 08:04 AM.
08-20-17, 07:34 PM   #2
kurapica.igas
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
In my IGAS_UI's raid panel, since I need show tooltips for aura icons in the raid panel, they should be mouse enabled, then the user can use alt+right-click on the icons to send them to the black list, so I don't need to keep updating a black list.

But I did provide a default class buff list full of protection spells, since the class buffs should be shown in the center of the unit frame, they should be mouse disabled so they won't block the hover spell casting, also the class buffs can be easily collected compares to the others.
08-22-17, 04:53 PM   #3
Rainrider
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For the boss mods case, the lists are semi-automated. The authors get a combat log parse from the encounters and can filter it based on certain combat log events to build a full list of applied auras. Then, I suppose, they go over the list "by hand" to determine relevance, phase and so on. Other addons then either copy the lists or get them programmatically if there is an API allowing it.

For class specific stuff, it is mostly done by hand, at least I haven't found a way to automate this reliably. LibPlayerSpells-1.0 can be used to pull data in this regard.
08-22-17, 06:19 PM   #4
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Many thanks to both kurapica and Rainrider

Further question to Rainrider.

1. Does that mean an author has to encounter a boss at least once, to obtain a combat log?

2. So, do authors save those parsed data into SV and sort them out for their next release of the addon?
08-22-17, 11:51 PM   #5
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There are different ways to get spell ids (during a boss fight)
  • tracking CLEU events by NPC id/name or with addons like MobSpells, etc. Of course you want to use savedvariables
  • looking at /etrace but not feasible for CLEU
  • manually checking WoWCombatLog.txt with /combatlog or parsing by warcraftlogs.com, etc
  • Wowhead and WowDB but less reliable compared to getting the data yourself

Last edited by Ketho : 08-23-17 at 12:03 AM.
08-23-17, 09:29 AM   #6
Rainrider
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Layback_ View Post
Many thanks to both kurapica and Rainrider

Further question to Rainrider.

1. Does that mean an author has to encounter a boss at least once, to obtain a combat log?

2. So, do authors save those parsed data into SV and sort them out for their next release of the addon?
1. Someone can send you the combat log after they did the encounter.
2. Depends on what you use. /combatlog outputs to the logs folder. For other addons, check their documentation/code. There is Transcriptor for boss encounters. The spell lists generated from that are then part of the addon code.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Do addon authors get all white or black list of aura ID by themselves (in person)?