03-27-17, 11:42 AM   #1
Lorsaire
A Kobold Labourer

Group Finder Addon - Possibilities

I was thinking about what I'd like to see when putting together groups, and realized I've never really seen a good addon that has what I'd like for the Group Finder. I've searched before, haven't really found what I'm looking for. I asked below in the WoW Forum, but figured I'd come to a community that specializes in Addons to do more research. I'm a software engineer by trade, so I'm not intimidated by the prospect of making my own UI, I'd just need to learn how to do it and find the time. But, first things first. I don't even know if the Addon interface even allows what I'm thinking, so I figured I'd ask those who have more knowledge first:

-------------------------------
For those skilled in creating addons, I'm curious if it is even possible to make a new addon that would add functionality to the Blizzard Group Finder addon.

It does a pretty decent job of certain things. But, for the manual groups we put together, there are things that could enhance its functionality for group leaders trying to put together teams.

Is there any way to grab more information about players than currently shows up in the default addon?

I'm thinking about things from the Wow armory, statistics & achievements, but also stuff like you find at (or could maybe import from), Wowprogress or Warcraft Logs.

Things like:

For the dungeon/raid involved, the # of times an individual has killed each boss at the difficulty level in question (or maybe cluster for things like m+ like they do for Wowprogress (# 2+, 5+, 10+, 15+...).

Not just bag iLvl, but also equipped iLvl, Artifact Traits #, Sim DPS, Wowprogress PVE score or Mythic+ Score.

Achievements like AotC, or Keystone Master, not just their PG level.

Or even stats from the Warcraft Logs page (for the Raid & difficulty) like Max & Avg Rank % (and iLvl adjusted %), and Max/Median DPS...

Is it even possible to do something like this, to see this kind of info at a glance when putting together a group?

Or am I just engaged in wishful thinking the UI capabilities can't handle?
03-27-17, 01:56 PM   #2
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The only file you're allowed to read from is your addons saved variables. Stuff like polling information from sources outside of the game environment (ie: url, text files) is not possible.

Is there any way to grab more information about players than currently shows up in the default addon?
I'm no guru so I could be wrong but, after skimming throughout the LFG files I do not see extra information availability from those frames. You can get some of this information if you're in range of this player through hidden tooltip scanning though. You can also get even more if not most of what you want through inspecting but, you can only do so much inspecting in a specific time frame before you're blocked from those api calls for awhile iirc.
03-27-17, 05:19 PM   #3
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
None of the attributes you listed there can be gathered without being in inspection range.
Any information from outside the game can only be read if previously cached in game-available files (SavedVariables), an addon cannot interact outside the game environment, and vice versa.

The best you can do is generate links to the player's profiles on various sites for inspection, usable for copy-pasting, given that the links actually use name/server for their urls (armory and wowprogress does, warcraftlogs doesn't).

Last edited by p3lim : 03-27-17 at 05:22 PM.
04-07-17, 02:20 PM   #4
Adamw327
A Kobold Labourer
My own request

Hello!

Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread, but I came here and registered just to make my own request with the LFG tool, and since your post was so relevant I decided to reply instead of creating my own

That, and you posted the first one on my birthday =) so its meant to be

So anyway.. I was hoping to find or request a sort of companion addon for the LFG tool, one with the following features

As a PUG organizer/lister/lead:
The option to blacklist people from future groups (Possibly just highlight a recognized name from a stored list on the applicants screen of LFG)
A pop up when someone drops, asking if you want to add them to the black list
A similar pop up when the raid/instance ends, asking if you want to add the remaining members to a "good list" which highlights them in a good way when they apply to a future group

As someone LFG:
Can upvote or downvote the leaders performance (only after completing a run?)
Able to see via a database, the current rating of leaders who have groups posted

As far as the ideas you had, I think most could be accomplished so long as the other people are using the same addon. It could scan you, and store the information on your side, and then share with each other between addons? Like average boss DPS, % of completed runs vs joined runs, achievements, etc.

Whatd'ya think? Thanks for taking the time to read
04-08-17, 02:48 AM   #5
Cyph1n
Originally Posted by Adamw327 View Post
I was hoping to find or request a sort of companion addon for the LFG tool, one with the following features

As a PUG organizer/lister/lead:
The option to blacklist people from future groups (Possibly just highlight a recognized name from a stored list on the applicants screen of LFG)
A pop up when someone drops, asking if you want to add them to the black list
A similar pop up when the raid/instance ends, asking if you want to add the remaining members to a "good list" which highlights them in a good way when they apply to a future group

As someone LFG:
Can upvote or downvote the leaders performance (only after completing a run?)
Able to see via a database, the current rating of leaders who have groups posted

As far as the ideas you had, I think most could be accomplished so long as the other people are using the same addon. It could scan you, and store the information on your side, and then share with each other between addons? Like average boss DPS, % of completed runs vs joined runs, achievements, etc.

Whatd'ya think? Thanks for taking the time to read
Nice ideas. Would be nice to be able to vote on leaders performance. Though it might only really be able to be a list. That you can see as I don't think you're allowed to modify who get or don't get in LFG/LFR/Random dungeons.
Still could be handy as a list. Join a group, lists pops up, see a name for a leader you've upvoted ect....

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Group Finder Addon - Possibilities