12-14-09, 01:01 PM   #1
Gronzig
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
ZIP file structure

Is there a tutorial that walks you through setting up a project, committing to SVN, and making and pushing a zip file?

This shouldn't be hard to figure out for someone who knows how to use TortoiseSVN, but I must be missing something, because the ZIP files which are created are missing the top level folder. We want the zip file to contain a folder named for the addon, and mine doesn't get one.

I initially committed my files in trunk, then I tried creating a RankWatch folder inside trunk, deleting the files form trunk, and re-adding them to RankWatch. Surprisingly, the files still end up in the top level of the zip. How could this be?

Looking at other projects, I see both structures - files in trunk, and files in a folder under trunk. What am I missing?
12-14-09, 01:05 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Can you tell me the steps you are using (being as specific as possible) to import your addon into the svn? That way I'll be able to tell you where you may be going wrong.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-14-09, 01:28 PM   #3
Gronzig
A Murloc Raider
Well, I'll try to remember as best I can. If you want to look at the SVN, it's called RankWatch ( http://svn.wowinterface.com/listing....&path=%2F&sc=0 ).

I created the repository with Enable SVN, checked it out on my machine using TortoiseSVN which created branches, tags, trunk folders. I moved my files (toc, xml, lua, readme, license) to trunk, added them with TortoiseSVN and committed. Then I went to the website, SVN Options, and chose Make ZIP from the project's options. I enetered the category, version, description, and change log and clicked Generate ZIP. It did so, and offered a zip file to download and test. I did, and it had no folder, just files, so I clicked cancel and delete.

Now I went back, created a RankWatch folder in trunk, added and committed that, put the files there, added and committed, and used svn delete and commit to remove the files in trunk. Now the repo shows the right structure, and making a new zip shows that it's pulling trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch.lua etc, but the test zip still has no folder, just files.

Thanks for looking into this.

Update: I found a help file ( http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...nable_existing which discusses a few options that don't exist under Miscellaneous so who knows) that mentions a wowi:dirname property. I tried setting that on trunk, although it seems like now that my files are in a subfolder, I shouldn't, and this made no difference to the zip, although the log messages make it look like it did:

Exporting SVN trunk to RankWatch
A trunk/RankWatch
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch/LICENSE.txt
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch/RankWatch.xml
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch/RankWatch.lua
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch/RankData.lua
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch/RankWatch.toc
A trunk/RankWatch/RankWatch/README.txt
Exported revision 6.
adding: RankWatch/ (stored 0%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/ (stored 0%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/RankWatch.lua (deflated 72%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/LICENSE.txt (deflated 66%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/README.txt (deflated 57%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/RankData.lua (deflated 81%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/RankWatch.xml (deflated 43%)
adding: RankWatch/RankWatch/RankWatch.toc (deflated 28%)

Last edited by Gronzig : 12-14-09 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add additional info
12-14-09, 01:45 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Don't check out the trunk of your svn. Just right-click the folder for your addon, go to TortoiseSVN > Import and enter in the location for your svn (found on your SVN Options page) followed by trunk\RankWatch

This will put the files from that folder into a folder called RankWatch in the trunk of your svn. After your initial import, then you can delete the folder for your addon on your computer and check it out from the svn.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-14-09, 03:06 PM   #5
Gronzig
A Murloc Raider
I think that would have been an easier way to go, but given that I now have my files in my repository, and I can check out the trunk, everything's working fine, except I still can't make a zip. How do I get from where I am to a correctly structured zip?

EDIT: Well, something worked, I have no idea what changed, but the zip is correct now. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Gronzig : 12-14-09 at 03:11 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » ZIP file structure