11-25-12, 06:11 AM   #1
Wowguy25
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Is there an SCT addon you can mix with Blizzards own SCT?

I would like to use an add on for my "self" texts but keep blizzards SCT for the targets. Is there any SCT add on that has this option?
11-25-12, 09:19 AM   #2
Farmbuyer
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The original Scrolling Combat Text still works fine. (I haven't tried the latest version because I've made local modifications to my copy over the years, but in the worst case it won't require more than a couple of tweaks for Monks.)
11-25-12, 10:11 AM   #3
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Any addon that has scrolling combat text cannot modify Blizzard's, as it is considered part of the 3D world, rather than part of the interface. Aside from replacing the entirety of the combat text with an addon, the only way to modify Blizzard's is by changing the font.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
11-25-12, 07:12 PM   #4
Wowguy25
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Coote View Post
Any addon that has scrolling combat text cannot modify Blizzard's, as it is considered part of the 3D world, rather than part of the interface. Aside from replacing the entirety of the combat text with an addon, the only way to modify Blizzard's is by changing the font.
Right but I don't want it to modify the Blizzard SCT. Just to leave it alone.
11-25-12, 07:13 PM   #5
Wowguy25
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Farmbuyer View Post
The original Scrolling Combat Text still works fine. (I haven't tried the latest version because I've made local modifications to my copy over the years, but in the worst case it won't require more than a couple of tweaks for Monks.)
I will try that, thanks
11-25-12, 10:37 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

If you're using MSBT, the options to leave the game's floating damage and healing text alone are right on the General options page that's visible when you open the options frame, labeled "Game Damage" and "Game Healing":

11-26-12, 12:27 PM   #7
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

@Phanx
That screenshot is no longer accurate. Those options are not present in the newest version of MSBT.
11-26-12, 05:51 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

I haven't used MSBT (or any other combat text addon) in years, but I can't imagine a good reason for removing those options. Are you sure they weren't just moved somewhere else?
11-27-12, 05:05 AM   #9
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

It appears to have been removed nearly three and a half years ago:
  • Changed the interaction with Blizzard's default FCT (Floating Combat Text) and damage/healing displays:
    • The default FCT and damage/healing displays are no longer manually controlled. The settings in the game's Interface Options configuration must be used to control them instead.
    • The Game Damage and Game Healing checkboxes have been removed from the General tab since they are no longer used.
  • Damage done to structures from siege vehicles (and other sources like explosives) will now display.
  • Vehicles are now treated as the player themselves instead of as their pet for incoming and outgoing damage.
  • Added default suppressions for Desecration, Abominable Might, and Unleashed Rage to prevent the spam they generate.
  • Made a minor optimization to the main animation logic.
  • Innervate will no longer activate "Hyper regen" mode since the mana gains from it are now reported in the combat log.
  • ALL mana gains mode will now set the mana gain skill to Unknown.
  • Hyper regen mode will now attribute the gains to the skill that activated it.
11-27-12, 10:21 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

Even better; it won't touch the game's FCT at all, so you can just leave that turned on and use the addon alongside it.
11-28-12, 07:36 AM   #11
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I was thinking that MSBT is still disabling the Blizzard FCT (from the source in v5.7.124 MSBTProfiles.lua)
Code:
-- Disable Blizzard's combat text.
local function DisableBlizzardCombatText()
	-- Turn off Blizzard's default combat text.
	SetCVar("CombatDamage", 0)
	SetCVar("CombatHealing", 0)
	SetCVar("enableCombatText", 0)
	SHOW_COMBAT_TEXT = "0"
	if (CombatText_UpdateDisplayedMessages) then CombatText_UpdateDisplayedMessages() end
end

Last edited by Ketho : 11-28-12 at 07:45 AM.
11-28-12, 08:52 AM   #12
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
MSBT does disable the built-in FCT on initial load, but after that, it no longer touches it. So, you can manually enable the default damage and healing in WoW's options and then disable all the outgoing player and pet events in MSBT.

That said, I personally don't think having the numbers float above enemy's heads is worth giving up the numerous other benefits such as merging, easy parsing of damage source, and fine-grained control over every aspect of your damage. The former provides you a spatial clue to where what you are attacking is (which is almost never a mystery to begin with), however, the latter allows you to quickly ascertain information such as whether a "Miss" actually was a combo point building ability or something else like a proc and whether a resist/miss was a DoT or a specific spell. This type of information, in turn, allows you to immediately make any rotational adjustments necessary with no guesswork.

However, I realize that not everybody views it that way, so the capability to fall back to using the built-in game damage is supported.

Last edited by Mikord : 11-28-12 at 09:09 AM.
11-28-12, 01:11 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Mikord View Post
That said, I personally don't think having the numbers float above enemy's heads is worth giving up the numerous other benefits
Just a comment to this... I prefer it to see which mobs are being affected by my AoE spells, such as Blizzard.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Is there an SCT addon you can mix with Blizzards own SCT?