07-13-07, 02:08 PM   #1
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Ventrilo - Viewing Who is Chatting

Is there a WoW addon that allows you to see who is currently speaking in Ventrilo as a visual window in-game?

This can be handy when someone starts talking and you are unsure who it is -- seeing their vent name could be helpful.
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
07-13-07, 02:53 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
VoiceFu, you need FuBar and they need to have it too.

Here is a ventrilo overlay.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
07-13-07, 03:04 PM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Or VisiVoice.
It should still be working with a simple .toc update or by checking "Load out of date addons".

Others need to have it too.
Only works when you use PTT (push to talk) not voice activation, as it uses the push to talk keybind to detect who is speaking.
07-13-07, 09:19 PM   #4
Farook
A Molten Giant

"Voice Overlay" is definitely the one to recommend.

I'm using it for ages now...
07-14-07, 12:14 AM   #5
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I find having a 2nd monitor works great.
07-16-07, 07:47 AM   #6
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Anyone have any speculation regarding the 2.2 patch content changes with Blizzard's "built in" VoIP program?

My concern is that it might generate additional client "lag"..... I guess we'll find out, right?
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
07-16-07, 11:52 PM   #7
KillerDreaming
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Geboran
Anyone have any speculation regarding the 2.2 patch content changes with Blizzard's "built in" VoIP program?

My concern is that it might generate additional client "lag"..... I guess we'll find out, right?
Sauce of this?
07-17-07, 02:27 AM   #8
Keppler
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by KillerDreaming
Sauce of this?
You can "ketchup" at http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=456.0
07-17-07, 06:40 AM   #9
KillerDreaming
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Keppler
Sweet..hope it doesn't take up a lot more CPU..
07-17-07, 06:59 AM   #10
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
It wont take a huge hog on system resources, but it will take more than WoW would normally, if they go through with this, what about ventrilo and stuff? I'm the GM of a guild, and we use ventrilo, I do not believe that the ingame VoIP is going to be a guild thing, just maybe like parties and raids, and when you hit your user defined key, I guess someonething goes above your head, so the guy who is usually yelling through vent "heal me!!" will now be easier to find. So, I see good, and bad things with this. A bad thing, there a lot of like 12 year olds who play this, and when were concentrating, the LAST thing I wanna hear is some little kid saying "Sorry, I gotta go clean my room or my mom wont give me cookies" or something of the like.
07-17-07, 07:01 AM   #11
KillerDreaming
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Harladar
It wont take a huge hog on system resources, but it will take more than WoW would normally, if they go through with this, what about ventrilo and stuff? I'm the GM of a guild, and we use ventrilo, I do not believe that the ingame VoIP is going to be a guild thing, just maybe like parties and raids, and when you hit your user defined key, I guess someonething goes above your head, so the guy who is usually yelling through vent "heal me!!" will now be easier to find. So, I see good, and bad things with this. A bad thing, there a lot of like 12 year olds who play this, and when were concentrating, the LAST thing I wanna hear is some little kid saying "Sorry, I gotta go clean my room or my mom wont give me cookies" or something of the like.
I thought the VOIP system was just based on what Ventrilo you're connected to through your client, and it just picks up in WoW based on your packets being sent from Ventrilo, not a world-wide VOIP server that's hosted by WoW?
07-17-07, 09:15 AM   #12
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

The in-game VoIP will be just that; in-game. In typical Blizz fashion they will construct their own device based upon stable technology. Whether theirs will work as good is yet to be determined.

Now that I got that snide remark outta the way: For the reasons that Harladar brought up, this will be good and bad.

Good that no other programs need to run for VoIP. It will enable for parties and raids, but pprob not for guilds. When somone talks, their unit frame will be highlighted to show who's talking and the game sounds will auto-decrease.

I'm waiting for the feature to make it to the PTR, but so far nothing yet.

07-17-07, 09:25 AM   #13
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

Yeah, it has pros and cons, like the guild functionality, I dont think will exist, because I have a bigger guild, round 80 members in little over a week, we mostly all use vent, and to have an in game VoIP for guild would serioously make a lot of vent hosting site extremly angry. Also, they said that when they do impliment the VoIP stuff for parties and raids, you can mute people and stuff, not saying thats a bad thing, not saying its a good thing, it has its ups and downs. have you guys been noticing that WoW is taking third party apps and addons, and slowly putting them in game? SCT and cast bars are alrady there. When are they gonna stop? BTW, I'm not bashing SCT, but I like MSBT much better, just my opinion though.
07-17-07, 09:52 AM   #14
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Harladar
have you guys been noticing that WoW is taking third party apps and addons, and slowly putting them in game? SCT and cast bars are alrady there.
Blizz has been doing this for awhile. If you were to look closely at the code, they usually give the original creator acknowledgment. It's one of my pet peeves with Blizz. They believe that they can always do a better job. Why fix it if it's not broken? BitTorrents work great, but Blizz downloader doesn't. Pros and cons, like everything in life.

This has gone off topic but I'm in a ranting mood for some reason today.

07-17-07, 09:58 AM   #15
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Gemini_II
This has gone off topic but I'm in a ranting mood for some reason today.
Yeah, my fault, all I'm saying is that the keep adding stuff, and expanding the interface menu, pretty soon its gonna have like 80 tabs with options in each, and compilations will be useless, JK. Back to the topic, if VoIP does get a guild functionality, whats gonna happen to the vent hosting site, like Typefrag, and gameservers? I'm not saying they would go outta "business" by maybe lower prices? I like vent because you can have a password and other things to keep smacktards out. Becuase if I ginvite someone, and then they get auto connected to the technical "server" for VoIP in WoW, and they start yelling and screaming, yeah I can mute em, but would banning be a function? lol. banned from voIP in your own guild!
07-17-07, 10:05 AM   #16
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Well for the most part, I like Blizz adding options. Generally it's better to have more options that you don't use, than no options for when you want them. Blizz would do well to hire on some programmers like Tekkub, ckknight, Cladhaire, and many others.

Back to the topic... I think that is why there won't be any guild support, other than through parties/raids. It would simply create too much overhead and require more attention-splitting. Regardless, i doubt the Vent hosts would see too much impact. Large WoW Guilds use (and will probably continue) to use vent for the finite control and more slots. Let's not forget about the huge FPS clans that use Vent for CS:S, HL2, UT, FEAR, etc.

07-17-07, 10:26 AM   #17
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Gemini_II
Let's not forget about the huge FPS clans that use Vent for CS:S, HL2, UT, FEAR, etc.
bedause the VoIP in those game, especially CSS and the like, the sound is terrible, its always garbled, i have a good sound setup and excellent mic, so if their gonna do somethiong like that, count me out, but UT2K4, is good, and yeah, I see your point, vent wont die out.
07-17-07, 10:28 AM   #18
JRCC
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

The reason blizz is putting in Voip is because they believe it to be a necessity similar to SCT, Equip compare, CTRA/Bigwigs and to a certain extent CTA. They are trying to avoid things being "needed" to proggress in the game. This is why in my personal opinion it wont take long for Blizzard to encorporate clique into the default blizzard UI as it is a "must have" to be an effective healer in any raids. I personally like the taking up of these addons into the default package as it vastly improves gameplay for all and increases the chance your party/raid will succeed in an instance.
07-17-07, 10:58 AM   #19
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

When blizz did the whole raid UI redesign, they used clad's MiniBlizzRaid.

I learned that from listening to the maelstrompodcast.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Ventrilo - Viewing Who is Chatting