10-24-10, 05:00 AM   #1
Schnorki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Finding a unit's owner

Specifically, I'm having an issue including shadowy apparations in my damagemeters. Up until now, I simply assigned pets and guardians via keeping a list based on unit pets, and unit create/summon casts. The problem with apparations however is that they seem to not be firing those events to begin with. (though they do show up in the combat log, but there as summoning themselves rather than being summoned by the player)

So with that, I'm honestly at a loss in terms of how I'm supposed to find an apparation's owner.

Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited by Schnorki : 10-24-10 at 08:47 AM.
10-25-10, 02:41 PM   #2
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Perhaps watch spell casts of all the players.
10-25-10, 04:00 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

There was some discussion about this in the Recount thread over on wowace.com, and after examining the combat log events fired regarding the Shadowy Apparitions, there's no way to associate them with the priest that spawned them. If you only have one shadow priest in your group, it's probably safe to assume that all Shadowy Apparitions seen belong to that guy, but if you have more than one shadow priest, there's no way to do it with any degree of accuracy.
10-25-10, 04:12 PM   #4
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Just a long shot but couldn't you do some math?

At end of combat.

We had total damage done by the shadow priests orb things. 999,999
We had 3 shadow priests 999,999 /3 = 333,333 each priest

333,333 each priest / length of fight say 5 mins = 1111.11 Dps from the orb thingies alone.

Now we add it all up.

EDIT: Lol I just read the topic 0_o. Seeing how the math posted before has nothing to do with the op's topic but ill leave it anyway lol.

Last edited by Nobgul : 10-25-10 at 04:15 PM.
10-25-10, 05:01 PM   #5
Schnorki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
well sure, i could just add up the damage and guesstimate which priest gets how much of it based on dot tick count...but since that wouldn't even remotely be accurate (example: 1 moves for his ticks, one does not. -> moving one gets 5 times as many apparations with the same number of ticks on average) i opted to rather not include them at all for lack of an actually working solution :/
10-25-10, 05:06 PM   #6
Vlad
A Molten Giant

statistically you would have an estimate, if you use a CI=95 you will get a fairly accurate range (longer fight, more data, more accurate) and thus you have a low-high estimate of the damage done by the apparitions (since we know the total damage done by apparitions).

I am no pro but it's not "remotely accurate" and it's better than nothing I guess.
10-26-10, 07:26 AM   #7
Schnorki
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
the problem is that you simply cannot in any way assume that the "apparations to ticks" ratio would be even close to equal for every involved priest. since it differs vastly due to movement (and hence playstyle)

the more acceptable way of guesstimating this stuff would be via getting the apparation's damage, re-calculating how much dmg an sw from the same priest would do (though even that leaves you with 6 range options, based on combinations of imp. sw, lack thereof, and the glyph) and then going back through extra tick-logs to find the last tick (and by that priest) fitting either of those damage ranges.

yet, between speccing, glyphing, gearing, procs and whatnot even that would be inaccurate as all hell.

long story short...guesstimating on meters is nothing short of unacceptable, since it kind of defeats the purpose.
10-26-10, 09:49 AM   #8
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Schnorki View Post
guesstimating on meters is nothing short of unacceptable, since it kind of defeats the purpose
I agree. Especially when we aren't talking about a small damage number, you could end up in situations where you have to distribute half million damage across several shadow priests, it's not an easy task and it's all guessing.
10-26-10, 12:55 PM   #9
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

I guess you could do a separate entry for just their damage sorta like "recount guessed absorbs". I mean i wouldn't wanna credit anyone with someone elses damage. but it would be nice to have the numbers anyway.
10-26-10, 02:50 PM   #10
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by nobgul View Post
I guess you could do a separate entry for just their damage sorta like "recount guessed absorbs". I mean i wouldn't wanna credit anyone with someone elses damage. but it would be nice to have the numbers anyway.
Can always have the numbers for the "total damage", only you can't really put them on specific people on the damage list. :P I guess this is a reason people can't really say "I am on top, I did more damage" either, when priests are involved.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Finding a unit's owner