07-21-10, 10:14 PM   #1
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
battle.net updated

Just logged into battle.net today and noticed a few changes

First off there's a new look.

Secondly to login you need to have Flash installed. This change I really don't like or support - I've been been able to get on just fine without having Flash regularly installed for ages now.

Next once you login the first thing you see a list of games you've brought and ones you don't have yet. Yet another change I have to admit I don't like. Smacks way too much of a bit too much commercialization. But I do understand that Blizzard are a business in the end and I shouldn't mind when they want to make more money.

To get to your account stuff now you have to click past this by clicking on the "Account" button up the top.

Now much of the old account management stuff is now hidden behind menus at the top. It's also predominently white and grey instead of the black background we are used to.

Thoughts ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-21-10, 10:18 PM   #2
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I've been using it because I decided to randomly try the beta version, and I'm not really a huge fan of it. The previous version was much more user friendly.
07-21-10, 10:21 PM   #3
Ither
A Firelord

Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it. Love it.
07-21-10, 10:27 PM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Not terribly fond of the new color scheme. Didn't notice any really glaring issues.
I wouldn't really call the account options hidden. Not as conveniently placed for sure but certainly not difficult to locate.

I agree on logging in at your game list. In both respects in fact. The new layout certainly reminds you about the business side of things.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
07-21-10, 10:40 PM   #5
spAnser
A Fallenroot Satyr

Isn't as easy to manage and after they changed it it doesn't show that I have the Starcraft II Beta anymore and I had only gotten it like 2 days ago. I wonder if I can still login to the client.
07-21-10, 11:29 PM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by spAnser View Post
Isn't as easy to manage and after they changed it it doesn't show that I have the Starcraft II Beta anymore and I had only gotten it like 2 days ago. I wonder if I can still login to the client.
When you login you need to select "Account" up the top right.

Does it show it under Summary now ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
07-21-10, 11:53 PM   #7
spAnser
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
When you login you need to select "Account" up the top right.

Does it show it under Summary now ?
nope just lists wow the ptr that i think is over now and my warcraft 3 & ft games
07-22-10, 12:17 AM   #8
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Well, the game releases in a week. So I'm gonna go ahead and say that the beta has finished.

EDIT: Yep, if you launch the game you'll see a nice message saying that the Beta is indeed closed. Unlucky if you didn't get to play it.
07-22-10, 12:18 AM   #9
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

That's because the SC2 beta just ended. I know it's a shame you just got into it... My wife got an invite just barely as well, so I think they sent that out to pretty much everyone to give them a day or two or however long it was of awesomeness to tempt you into buying the game when it releases.
07-22-10, 03:14 AM   #10
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I like the overall look (it matches the Blizzard store), however I do think they over complicated it a bit. It's not at all surprising though. They want you to think of Blizzard games, Battle.net, and their various game franchises as one entity, and over the past year or so they've implemented several things (the new battle.net site being one of those) to encourage that thinking. Ultimately, it means more money for them, which is what it's all about .
07-22-10, 03:27 AM   #11
Tntdruid
Premium Member

Premium Member
Thumbs up

The new version looks much better than the old one did
07-22-10, 05:15 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thumbs up Bout Time!

A very, very welcome change. 100% better than the old design, and much more user friendly.

10 Banana Rating!

07-27-10, 03:46 PM   #13
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
Flash has been a non-trivial keylogger and malware vector. It makes total sense that they'd require you to have it installed and running to log into their site, because there is no way this could make things worse.
07-27-10, 03:49 PM   #14
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

The "update" is great, but to me it is just what it was "suppose to be". The "older" Battle.net was just there as a placeholder until this.

Anyway, it's good.
07-29-10, 10:18 AM   #15
Tragedy777
Banned
Ya it usually can be buggy and act odly, I have seen it go down in WoW when still connected, don't worry guys they will make everything work perfectly.
07-29-10, 12:28 PM   #16
Beoko
Originally Posted by seebs View Post
Flash has been a non-trivial keylogger and malware vector. It makes total sense that they'd require you to have it installed and running to log into their site, because there is no way this could make things worse.
Why are you still posting such negative and ridiculous comments? I wanted to post something constructive... but I don't see a point to your posts other than to pick fights.
07-29-10, 01:28 PM   #17
Mambaru
A Defias Bandit

Because he/she/it serves as living proof of why some people should never have been allowed to breed. It will only produce more of them.

And now back on topic. I've never really had much of a problem with Flash other than it being a tad resource intensive.
07-29-10, 01:31 PM   #18
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
People might as well face it flash is here to stay. You can hardly go to any web site without some sort of flash running.

No if they could only fix the lastest bug with flash not working correctly on Non-Admin accounts.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » battle.net updated