Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
09-20-12, 03:45 PM   #13
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
(a) That's a whole lot of hoops to jump through to support someone else's addon.
(b) It is my understanding that they are still running a code obfuscator on their addon and not publishing the lua source they themselves are working with.
They've just adjusted it so it doesn't run afoul of Blizzard's addon policy in a very blatant and obvious way.

For that reason their lua code changes disproportionately between revisions and someone trying to fix the new one would have to start over duplicating all the work they did on the last one tracing functions and such.
(I'm assuming that's one of the reasons they still run an obfuscator on their code to discourage fan updates)
yeah what he's saying (i think) is to not even bother with the official releases, just keep fixing the fan one and bringing in the patches the official does to fix things not already fixed. Which is sort of what i've already been doing with the version that use to be here, and now the .08 release that can be found (and soon .09 when I get off my lazy ass). The problem is those updates have to stay underground instead of being out in the open for people to find and use, and it creates a rift between those using the fan and those using the official... then again that rift already exists right now.

But his suggestion is instead of keeping the new fan updates underground, supply .patch files against it... the fan releases are not obfuscated so it would work.... and a .patch file against something you have to find yourself is not breaking any rules since your not providing the original.

Last edited by Rythal : 09-20-12 at 03:48 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Roll Your Own Fixes for 5.041