02-19-09, 02:17 PM   #2761
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nightspirit View Post
Flexibility towards user preferences is not its strongest point.
Not to be disrespectful, but I don't think it should be. In my humble opinion, nUI's strongest point is that everything you need is right there. nUI works right out of the box and no other addons are required for it to function. Everything has it's place on the screen, and everything fits quite nicely. Through community support nUI has become more flexible via the addons created for it, and more are being added all the time.

If you look at the ToDo list, Scott has a lot of plans for nUI. I for one intend to stick around and see those things come to fruition.

02-19-09, 06:30 PM   #2762
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Thumbs up

I agree 100% Nui has come a far way since i began using it. There is all the holler about it not be customizable enough but a little digging shows that a gui has been in the works for a very long time now However like silenia said one of its strongest points is that its completely organized from the start with no real setup and it doesnt depend on other mods for it to work.

The fact that it has made it up onto curses most popular addon page says volumes in it self congrats scott we look forward eagerly to all the new features planned

edit: wow my spelling is really bad sometimes

Last edited by neuralassassin : 02-19-09 at 06:53 PM.

02-19-09, 07:57 PM   #2763
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Nightspirit View Post
Agreed, the GUI makes the available options very accessible for users and the plugins and skins are a very good way to customize stuff. But considering nUI is taking over a great deal of my old addons there are very little options compared to the alternatives.

On the other hand, too much options are not good as well and could overwhelm users. It's a delicate balance I guess
Actually if it matters any, there is almost nothing in nUI that is not optioned and configurable. As I sit here writing this, I can't think of a single element of nUI that cannot be changed without changing the actual code itself.

The key is to understand that much of what you are thinking of as code is not, it is data. It's a table of options and settings which is not one bit different from your Saved Variables file except that it is included with nUI or in one of nUI's source files. Which is, in fact, one of the changes I'm making in the 5.0 is to separate all of the configuration variables, tables and data from the code itself.

For example, at the top of the file [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Bars > nUI_ButtonBar.lua ] is the following table...
Code:
nUI_DefaultConfig.ButtonBars =
{
    ["nUI_ActionBar"] =
    {
        btn_size = 53.5,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "BOTTOM",
        xOfs     = 0,
        yOfs     = 123,
        rows     = 1,
        cols     = 12,
        page     = 1,
        nuibind  = "nUI_ACTIONBAR",
        binding  = "ACTIONBUTTON",
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_ActionBar"],
    },

-- the Bliz "bottom left" bar

["nUI_TopLeftBar"] =
    {        
        btn_size = 53.5,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "TOPRIGHT",
        yOfs     = 122,
        xOfs     = 0,
        rows     = 1,
        cols     = 12,
        page     = 6,
        nuibind  = "nUI_TOPLEFTBAR",
        binding  = "MULTIACTIONBAR1BUTTON",
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_TopLeftBar"],
    },

-- the Bliz "bottom right" bar

["nUI_TopRightBar"] =
    {        
        btn_size = 53.5,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "TOPLEFT",
        yOfs     = 122,
        xOfs     = 0,
        rows     = 1,
        cols     = 12,
        page     = 5,
        nuibind  = "nUI_TOPRIGHTBAR",
        binding  = "MULTIACTIONBAR2BUTTON",
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_TopRightBar"],
    },

-- the Bliz "right 1" bar (aka "left" bar in the Bliz code)

["nUI_LeftUnitBar"] =
    {        
        btn_size = 48,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "BOTTOMLEFT",        
        yOfs     = -250,
        xOfs     = -680,
        rows     = 6,
        cols     = 2,
        page     = 3,
        nuibind  = "nUI_LEFTUNITBAR",
        binding  = "MULTIACTIONBAR4BUTTON",
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_LeftUnitBar"],
    },

-- the Bliz "right 2" bar (aka "right" bar in the Bliz code)

["nUI_RightUnitBar"] =
    {        
        btn_size = 48,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "BOTTOMRIGHT",
        yOfs     = -250,
        xOfs     = 680,
        rows     = 6,
        cols     = 2,
        page     = 4,
        nuibind  = "nUI_RIGHTUNITBAR",
        binding  = "MULTIACTIONBAR3BUTTON",
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_RightUnitBar"],
    },

-- bonus bar 1

["nUI_BottomLeftBar"] =
    {        
        btn_size = 38,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "BOTTOMLEFT",
        yOfs     = -223,
        xOfs     = -1270,
        rows     = 1,
        cols     = 12,
        page     = 2,
        nuibind  = "nUI_BOTTOMLEFTBAR",
        binding  = nil,
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_BottomLeftBar"],
    },

-- bonus bar 2

["nUI_BottomRightBar"] =
    {        
        btn_size = 38,
        gap      = 2,
        anchor   = "BOTTOMRIGHT",
        yOfs     = -223,
        xOfs     = 1270,
        rows     = 1,
        cols     = 12,
        base_id  = 108,
        nuibind  = "nUI_BOTTOMRIGHTBAR",
        binding  = nil,
        label    = nUI_L["nUI_BottomRightBar"],
    },    
};
That is *all* of the settings for the button bars in the user interface. Want to make the main action bar two rows of six buttons instead of one row of twelve? Change "rows = 1" to "rows = 2" and "cols = 12" to "cols = 6" and you're done. Want to make the buttons bigger? Change "btn_size = 53.5" to "btn_size = 60" and you're done. If you want to move the bar up a smidge, change "yOfs = 123" to "yOfs = 125" -- none of that is "magic" -- it's just option values.

I chose this example because it's the simplest, but this is true of *every* element in nUI. It is *all* configured with these simple tables. The trick is just finding the table and, in some cases I agree, knowing what the choices are.

The key to understanding nUI is that it is really not a user interface. I have designed it to be a user interface engine which is driven by tables. There are some elements that arent' finished in this conversion yet, which is what I'm in the process of doing now on the 5.0, but I'm getting there. Once that is done, then I will create GUI tools that you can use to manipulate the tables through an interface instead of by hand.

Until then, however, *everything* is configurable. You just have to edit the table manually for now.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

Last edited by spiel2001 : 02-19-09 at 08:06 PM.

02-19-09, 08:08 PM   #2764
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Flinger View Post
I understand that, and i'm not asking for u to enable this in a future release. Just asking if there's a way to do this, by editing files or something like that, while the GUI layout tool isn't done.
If you really feel you have to remove the bars so you can use something else, then edit the [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Bars > nUI_ButtonBars.lua ] file and comment out or delete the bar settings at the top. But I think you're making a huge mistake... however, it's your UI to lay out as you see fit.

02-19-09, 08:22 PM   #2765
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post

The key is to understand that much of what you are thinking of as code is not, it is data. It's a table of options and settings which is not one bit different from your Saved Variables file except that it is included with nUI or in one of nUI's source files. Which is, in fact, one of the changes I'm making in the 5.0 is to separate all of the configuration variables, tables and data from the code itself.

lol Scott. Please forgive me while I play devils advocate here. I kinda understand what ppl mean when they say they do not understand code. It's similar to the conversation I recently had with my boyfriend about this While Loop thing in Small Basic (something I am playing with atm, even though it makes no sense to me.. yet).

After explaining the while loop;

Grimdore: I don't understand why you don't get it.
SilverRaven: I don't understand why you don't understand why I don't get it.

As a programmer, that code looks soooo simplistic to you. But for a non programmer, its all random numbers, signs, and letters in a file. Very scary! lol

02-19-09, 08:53 PM   #2766
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
lol Scott. Please forgive me while I play devils advocate here. I kinda understand what ppl mean when they say they do not understand code. It's similar to the conversation I recently had with my boyfriend about this While Loop thing in Small Basic (something I am playing with atm, even though it makes no sense to me.. yet).

After explaining the while loop;

Grimdore: I don't understand why you don't get it.
SilverRaven: I don't understand why you don't understand why I don't get it.

As a programmer, that code looks soooo simplistic to you. But for a non programmer, its all random numbers, signs, and letters in a file. Very scary! lol

I can see both sides... it just doesn't seem a stretch to me to say if you want the button to be bigger, then change the value of of the thing that says "btn_size" to something bigger. Not exactly rocket science. ~smile~ However, I do understand the fear issue in play there, which is why I realize I have to make a spin thing and a drag thing you can click with a mouse button to make the button get bigger, etc, without having to be bright enough to know the thing called "btn_size" might be the thing that makes the button bigger ~wink~

(I am playing a lot in the paragraph by the way)

On a separate note, you remind me of one of the best pieces of programming documentation I have seen in my 30 year career... it was in the glossary of terms in the old dBase II manual. Under the glossary entry to "endless loop" it said "see: loop, endless" -- look up "loop, endless" in the glossary and it said "see: endless loop"

Makes me laugh every time I remember it.

edit: here's a simple program...

while "Silverraven" != "I get it" do
Grimdore.print( "Why not?" );
end

Last edited by spiel2001 : 02-19-09 at 08:56 PM.

02-19-09, 09:05 PM   #2767
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I can see both sides... it just doesn't seem a stretch to me to say if you want the button to be bigger, then change the value of of the thing that says "btn_size" to something bigger. Not exactly rocket science. ~smile~ However, I do understand the fear issue in play there, which is why I realize I have to make a spin thing and a drag thing you can click with a mouse button to make the button get bigger, etc, without having to be bright enough to know the thing called "btn_size" might be the thing that makes the button bigger ~wink~

(I am playing a lot in the paragraph by the way)

On a separate note, you remind me of one of the best pieces of programming documentation I have seen in my 30 year career... it was in the glossary of terms in the old dBase II manual. Under the glossary entry to "endless loop" it said "see: loop, endless" -- look up "loop, endless" in the glossary and it said "see: endless loop"

Makes me laugh every time I remember it.

edit: here's a simple program...

while "Silverraven" != "I get it" do
Grimdore.print( "Why not?" );
end

/howls with laughter!!!!!!!!!!!

omg, my sides hurt!!! I can't even type roflmao

02-20-09, 01:12 AM   #2768
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

LMAO
NOW that is freaking hysterical always brightens my day to look in on these forums

02-20-09, 04:43 AM   #2769
fred
A Cobalt Mageweaver
It made my day also.

And a few posts back when Spiel posted a screenshot of his daughters toon...'Badgurl"? Just that 'Dad' seems to be a mild mannered person..

02-20-09, 05:40 AM   #2770
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by SirWilliam92 View Post
Okay, i got the latest update, and the config.lua fix, Via E-mail... installed and all.. but your 'vertical fix' doesn't quite seem to... uhh... work.

It's in the attachment. The horizontal distance seems to work (i have my UI scale turned on to make it smaller.. but i tried turning it off to no effect) but the vertical size is outta wack.

1280x1024 res..
SirWilliam -- I'm curious, after you turned the UI Scale off, did you do a "/nui rl" ?? Because nUI doesn't automatically update the layout just toggling the scale.

However, that said, I'm having a terrible time reproducing your results. Are you positive you have the 4.20 installed and are still getting these results? Attached is a screen shot on my system at 1280x1024 and as you can see, it is markedly different than your screenshot. In fact, your screen shot looks to me like the first release I did after adding the vertical scaling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_022009_063712.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	2289  

02-20-09, 05:43 AM   #2771
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Yea scott the range indicator while much improved seems to cover the numbers for the cooldowns just got a new monitor so im using 1920x1080 res now. Same exact way silenias looks. Another question im not sure about, if i have alerts for cd's turned on should the text overlap the icons when it comes up? This may be working as intended if so fine I was just curious more than anything else
NeuralAssassin (and anyone else having overlap issues) --

I'm still trying to track down this overlap bug on the vertical scale in the HUD... I'm curious if you have your HUD scale set to something other than 1.0? If you use the slash command '/nui hud scale 1.0' does the overlap go away?

02-20-09, 06:25 AM   #2772
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

NeuralAssassin (and anyone else having overlap issues) --

I'm still trying to track down this overlap bug on the vertical scale in the HUD... I'm curious if you have your HUD scale set to something other than 1.0? If you use the slash command '/nui hud scale 1.0' does the overlap go away?
I tried fiddling with the scale to see if I could fix the overlap issue, but it didn't work. It also seemed with one of the last patches that the hud actually got smaller after install... did it, or is that just me still getting use to this new monitor?

Can you tell me, pretty please, what the two default settings are s'posed to be for the HUD?

02-20-09, 07:28 AM   #2773
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I tried fiddling with the scale to see if I could fix the overlap issue, but it didn't work. It also seemed with one of the last patches that the hud actually got smaller after install... did it, or is that just me still getting use to this new monitor?

Can you tell me, pretty please, what the two default settings are s'posed to be for the HUD?
You can actually set the HUD to defaults by leaving off the number... '/nui hud scale' and '/nui hud hgap' will set it to the defaults if it isn't already. That said, the default scale is 1.0 and the default hgap is either 400 or 500 (I forget which atm)

02-20-09, 08:26 AM   #2774
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
You can actually set the HUD to defaults by leaving off the number... '/nui hud scale' and '/nui hud hgap' will set it to the defaults if it isn't already. That said, the default scale is 1.0 and the default hgap is either 400 or 500 (I forget which atm)

Great thanks, was wondering if there was a way to reset it to the default as for some reason when Im switching between toons the scale/gap seems to change when I have them set to the same value.

02-20-09, 05:01 PM   #2775
SirWilliam92
An Aku'mai Servant
SirWilliam -- I'm curious, after you turned the UI Scale off, did you do a "/nui rl" ?? Because nUI doesn't automatically update the layout just toggling the scale.

However, that said, I'm having a terrible time reproducing your results. Are you positive you have the 4.20 installed and are still getting these results? Attached is a screen shot on my system at 1280x1024 and as you can see, it is markedly different than your screenshot. In fact, your screen shot looks to me like the first release I did after adding the vertical scaling.
Oh... sorry about this, you fixed the issue in 4.19 when you did the "more square button" update...

Sorry for not actually saying it was still broken...

DO NOT PANIC lol.. The issue is fixed. Thanks

02-20-09, 06:35 PM   #2776
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Ok scott my hud scale has always been at 1 never played with it before. But figured Id see if I could get it to scale right by using different values.( why I never thought to do that I don't know ) Good news.... if I play with the scale everything goes to where it should be ( 4.18 I used .95 and 4.20 I used .85 because of that inch difference in the bottom console) Bad news ...it wont stay if I log out, reload or exit game the setting will read the same in gui but the problem is back, upon changing the scale again it will correct itself so that .95 is the right size but for whatever reason upon first entering the world it goes back to the original scale
I tried typing in the values manually instead of using kodewolfs gui same deal

P.S On a side note how much trouble would it be to get an option to route cooldown alerts to SCT or the error frame?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_022009_072846.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	2290  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_022009_072728.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	2291  

Last edited by neuralassassin : 02-20-09 at 06:49 PM.

02-20-09, 09:01 PM   #2777
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

-Silenia I had a little trouble with the scale at first it wont update in combat so i turned on the hud for friendly npc and tuned it then so you can see it as you go
hope that helps
and yea the hud got smaller for me with 4.18 but jumped back up afterward in 4.19 and 4.20

Last edited by neuralassassin : 02-20-09 at 09:03 PM.

02-20-09, 09:48 PM   #2778
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Exclamation A sneak peek at raid unit frames...

As promised, I wanted to post some screen shots of the raid unit frames as they stand at this time... I may tweak them some more and I am open to feedback.

The attached screen shots are for the reworked 10 man raid frames as well as the new 15 and 20 man raid frames. I'll have screen shots of the 25 and 40 man raid frames up tomorrow.

Let me know your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_022009_223410.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	2292  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_022009_223416.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	664.1 KB
ID:	2293  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_022009_223401.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	643.9 KB
ID:	2294  

02-20-09, 10:24 PM   #2779
Brillynt
A Black Drake

As promised, I wanted to post some screen shots of the raid unit frames as they stand at this time... I may tweak them some more and I am open to feedback.

The attached screen shots are for the reworked 10 man raid frames as well as the new 15 and 20 man raid frames. I'll have screen shots of the 25 and 40 man raid frames up tomorrow.

Let me know your thoughts.

Scott,

To me those look great. I would like to add that it would be really nice to be able to sort the display order of the raid members by group, class, ...

Thanks again for the great job that you do with nUI.

Brillynt

02-20-09, 10:30 PM   #2780
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Brillynt View Post
Scott,

To me those look great. I would like to add that it would be really nice to be able to sort the display order of the raid members by group, class, ...

Thanks again for the great job that you do with nUI.

Brillynt
Sorting is on the to-do list... I've got to make a fairly non-trivial change to the unit frames to fix that problem and sort out how to deal with the unit_id attribute in combat... but that is coming (and sorely needed)

Thanks for the kind word, as well.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement