01-27-10, 07:49 PM   #1
thetravellor
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
action bar hotkey issues, "black and blank" nui issue

Hiya,

I have posted on here previously about

1. Hotkey numbers dissappearing from action bars at login, or after switching to alternate talent tree.

2. Nui being "black and blank"

Well i cant find my old posts (sorry) so I will start a new thread.

Anyhow, I know the problem is caused by interaction with other addons. I have never really solved it, even with the 5.06.07 release.

I have however found a reasonably convenient workaround.

For problem one, a simple "/reload ui" always fixes it. For problem 2, where the chat panel is not able to be interacted with, I have used another addon caled "addon control panel" that contains a "reload UI" button. Clicking that button also sorts the problem.

01-27-10, 08:00 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Problem 1; the keybind issue is in fact a Blizzard issue. I had been able to replicate it using no addons (none in the addons directory, and clean WTF and Cache folders).

nUI may exacerbate this issue, but it is definitely a Blizzard bug. Other authors who've written actionbar addons have implemented a workaround for this bug... Scott said he might do the same, if he hasn't already (I haven't had any keybind issues since this last nUI release).

Last edited by Petrah : 01-27-10 at 08:02 PM.

01-28-10, 09:09 AM   #3
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Yea, I know I posted about this in the past too. It's a very strange bug that works differently on all my toons and I have no idea why.

My Priest - I admit I rarely use my action bars and mappings (healbot user), so I wouldn't even realize if keys weren't working.
My Druid - my action keys are always labeled and when I switch forms they always work perfectly - no /nui rl needed. (I only had one time where it asked for rage and I was in caster form - which I'll consider a fluke.)
My Rogue - never logs on with the action bars showing the keybinds. The first row (num pad 0-9, "=" and "." keys) never work when in combat but will work out of combat. The second (Ctrl + num pad 0-9, Ctrl "." and F12 keys) and third (Ctrl+Alt num pad 0-9 and non-keybound slots) rows work all the time, even if the keybinds aren't there.
My Hunter - logs in and appears to have a 25% chance of having his keybinds listed. When not listed, they work like my rogue.
My Warlock - logs in and appears to get the keybinds to show like my hunter, except keybinds also work while in or out of combat.
My Mage - typically keybinds do not show when logging into this character, however keybinds work for all bars in and out of combat.

All toons - /nui rl always fixes the problem!

Thoughts on review: Is it a problem with assigning the keybind (when it doesn't show) to a macro? I think I have lots of my attacks on my rogue and my hunter which are macros. But very few on my mage/lock. Yes, all the toons are lvl 80 save for the hunter (79) and mage (78). I've just neglected my lock and haven't made the proper macro's for him yet.

Further edit: In reviewing your problem #2, I think I've experienced the same thing. Where basically your chat screens and the nUI skin are blanked out, along with button bars and all, but the cut-out shape of nUI still remains? I've found that while you can't see your chat, you can still type in it by clicking enter on your keyboard and typing "/nui rl" and clicking enter again. It's a rare happening with me, but it happens a couple times here and there.

Last edited by schizophrena : 01-28-10 at 09:23 AM.

01-28-10, 09:56 AM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
My only problem with the "reload the ui" solution is that when I do that in raids, it takes about ten or 15 seconds, and then I have to run and catch up, because everyone else has already moved on (and yes, I tell the raid what I'm doing) and if it's a raid I don't know, sometimes it takes me a minute or two, or more, to figure out where everybody went. Most annoying. OTOH, getting killed because my keybinds aren't working is more annoying.

01-28-10, 10:14 AM   #5
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
My only problem with the "reload the ui" solution is that when I do that in raids, it takes about ten or 15 seconds, and then I have to run and catch up, because everyone else has already moved on (and yes, I tell the raid what I'm doing) and if it's a raid I don't know, sometimes it takes me a minute or two, or more, to figure out where everybody went. Most annoying. OTOH, getting killed because my keybinds aren't working is more annoying.
I fully agree, but is this happening to you again after you have already loaded your keybinds via the reload? Once I fix the solution, it stays until I log off that character.

01-28-10, 10:51 AM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I spent 12 hours running instances last Saturday testing the action bars and what I've found is that it *seems* to be related to bar switching... as in the problem is "worse" for classes that have to switch action bar pages such as stealth/no-stealth, Druid forms, etc.

It *seems* that when the page switches, Blizzard is sometimes "stealing" the key bindings and putting them back on their own action bars. I still have not found a fix, but I am working it.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

01-28-10, 01:12 PM   #7
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Problem 1; the keybind issue is in fact a Blizzard issue. I had been able to replicate it using no addons (none in the addons directory, and clean WTF and Cache folders).

nUI may exacerbate this issue, but it is definitely a Blizzard bug. Other authors who've written actionbar addons have implemented a workaround for this bug... Scott said he might do the same, if he hasn't already (I haven't had any keybind issues since this last nUI release).
I just re-did my UI from scratch, starting with the latest nUI plus. I haven't had numbers on my hotkeys for 4 days now since starting over again.

The Black and Blank problem still happens randomly, and rarely for me. A quick /nui rl reloads the UI and fixes it right up.

Marth

01-28-10, 01:14 PM   #8
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I spent 12 hours running instances last Saturday testing the action bars and what I've found is that it *seems* to be related to bar switching... as in the problem is "worse" for classes that have to switch action bar pages such as stealth/no-stealth, Druid forms, etc.

It *seems* that when the page switches, Blizzard is sometimes "stealing" the key bindings and putting them back on their own action bars. I still have not found a fix, but I am working it.
Maybe just save some info in the nui.lua savedvariables:

Page 1, button 1 - hotkey = <whatever>

Can have it duplicate how blizz keeps them, but that way if nUI is loaded, it'll use what is saved?

M

Marth

01-28-10, 01:16 PM   #9
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Schizo may be on to something with the keybind being associated to a hotkey that has a macro associated. I use quite a few macros (for some of my lock spells, as well as some auctioneer-related macros for some AH stuff).....so it's quite possible.

It used to be that I only had some hotkeys on Page 2 (my AH stuff)...but now that i've created some that are on page 1 for my lock, the numbers are gone.

Nice catch Schizo - maybe this will help scott out.

Marth

01-29-10, 03:13 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have any of you posted on the official WoW Bug Reports forum to let Blizz know that their supposed fix in 3.3 has not fixed the issue for you? Blizz can't/won't fix it unless you tell them it's broken.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » action bar hotkey issues, "black and blank" nui issue