06-11-10, 08:55 PM   #1
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
suggestion:enhanced debuff tracking ability

on my two chars there are a few debuffs i wanna track - specially when i can apply them my self

warrior - TC, sunder armor, demo shout
lock - COE, Improved shadowbolt

it would be really nice if the same type of debuffs are tracked together.

e.g:- if i am on my warrior and someone else applies a equivalent to Debuff to TC, sunder armor or demo shout it shows the mob as having TC, sunder armor or demo. so i am tanking and the druid applies demos roar i would see the mob as having demo shout up with whatever time is remaining on the demo roar.

This would be shown on the debuff bar below the cast bar of course.

06-11-10, 10:22 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
hmm, would be a useful option if possible. At least for nUI 6. Warlocks for example have to watch what curse they put on as only one curse per warlock per mob.

Obviously it would be hard to automatically identify all the combinations but perhaps allow a whitelist of debuffs to *add* to the debuff icons.

06-11-10, 10:47 PM   #3
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
hmm, would be a useful option if possible. At least for nUI 6. Warlocks for example have to watch what curse they put on as only one curse per warlock per mob.

Obviously it would be hard to automatically identify all the combinations but perhaps allow a whitelist of debuffs to *add* to the debuff icons.
it doesn't have to identify combinations just which ones fall in same category. If you have any debuff and a debuff in the same category is on boss it shows a timer with the icon for your debuff.

06-11-10, 10:51 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
The question is whether the current spell functions identify the category or whether the built in checks outside of addon control is doing that identification.

EG.

GetSpellInfo
name, rank, icon, cost, isFunnel, powerType, castTime, minRange, maxRange
= GetSpellInfo(spellId or spellName or spellLink)
UnitAura
name, rank, icon, count, debuffType, duration, expirationTime, unitCaster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellId
= UnitAura("unit", index or "name"[, "rank"[, "filter"]])
debuffType : String - The type of the debuff: Magic, Disease, Poison, Curse, or nothing for those with out a type.
As you can see even the debuffType value which is the nearest possible doesn't seem to identify other debuffs.

06-11-10, 11:46 PM   #5
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
The question is whether the current spell functions identify the category or whether the built in checks outside of addon control is doing that identification.

EG.

GetSpellInfo

UnitAura

As you can see even the debuffType value which is the nearest possible doesn't seem to identify other debuffs.
i would have thought blizz would allow you to check the categories . if not manual table will have to be build which will be pretty big. But on the + side once its build it will pretty much stay consistent for like ever or till they add a new spell that matches a current grp.

06-12-10, 06:23 AM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Yeah... building tables of data that are kept as part of the mod are something I have very much tried to avoid at pretty much all costs as that's the first thing that tends to break on patch day and the one thing that's hardest to maintain over time. So I don't think that's going to happen.

However, I do have an alternate idea that might accomplish the goal without having to do that. On the HOT/DOT bar I could add an option to show only your spells *or* only spells you can cast regardless of who had cast them. What this would mean was that if another warrior cast TC on the mob, you would see the TC in the HOT/DOT bar but it would be tinted another color to let you know someone else cast it. Only spells that you are capable of casting on the mob would be shown when that option is enabled, so only spells of interest to you would appear.

The only issue with that might be that the HOT/DOT bar could get pretty big in a 25 man raid and it might become difficult to quickly determine which spells *you* need to cast. But, it could be turned off and you just blast away your normal rotation, too.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

06-12-10, 07:35 AM   #7
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Yeah... building tables of data that are kept as part of the mod are something I have very much tried to avoid at pretty much all costs as that's the first thing that tends to break on patch day and the one thing that's hardest to maintain over time. So I don't think that's going to happen.

However, I do have an alternate idea that might accomplish the goal without having to do that. On the HOT/DOT bar I could add an option to show only your spells *or* only spells you can cast regardless of who had cast them. What this would mean was that if another warrior cast TC on the mob, you would see the TC in the HOT/DOT bar but it would be tinted another color to let you know someone else cast it. Only spells that you are capable of casting on the mob would be shown when that option is enabled, so only spells of interest to you would appear.

The only issue with that might be that the HOT/DOT bar could get pretty big in a 25 man raid and it might become difficult to quickly determine which spells *you* need to cast. But, it could be turned off and you just blast away your normal rotation, too.
so it would pick up only that particular spell? eg it I have TC and the DK cast his version of the melee speed debuff (frost fever) it won't be picked up?

also if we have 4 locks in raid and they all cast corruption u will see 5 corruption counters on the hot/dot bar? i reckon that would not rally work. Anyway u can display only non stacking debuffs?

Last edited by Lunos13 : 06-12-10 at 07:38 AM.

06-12-10, 08:08 AM   #8
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I could treat 4 locks having corruption on the mob as being stacked (i.e... show a stack count of 4 to show that spell is on the mob 4 times) and use tint red to indicate you don't have the spell active on the mob.

Now, when you have spells with similar function like your warrior's TC and a DK's Frost Fever, you would *not* see the frost fever on the mob. I don't know an easy way to deal with that one short of using spell data tables (which I refuse to do)

06-12-10, 11:10 PM   #9
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I could treat 4 locks having corruption on the mob as being stacked (i.e... show a stack count of 4 to show that spell is on the mob 4 times) and use tint red to indicate you don't have the spell active on the mob.

Now, when you have spells with similar function like your warrior's TC and a DK's Frost Fever, you would *not* see the frost fever on the mob. I don't know an easy way to deal with that one short of using spell data tables (which I refuse to do)
but how would u show the duration if u stack 4 corruptions on the target? and how u know whats your corruptions remaining time?

06-12-10, 11:20 PM   #10
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Well.. if they don't get consolidated, it would get insane in a hurry in a large raid. I would say that if you have the spell active on the target, then the time remaining would be before your aura expired on the target. If you don't have the spell active on the target, then the time remaining would be the longest duration remaining (how long it will be before no one has the spell active)

06-13-10, 09:24 PM   #11
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well.. if they don't get consolidated, it would get insane in a hurry in a large raid. I would say that if you have the spell active on the target, then the time remaining would be before your aura expired on the target. If you don't have the spell active on the target, then the time remaining would be the longest duration remaining (how long it will be before no one has the spell active)
anyway to just display the debuffs that don't stack (so just stuff like TC, COE, Improved shdowbolt etc)? otherwise I reckon its not worth the hassle. cause else it will give a slight increase in usability at the cost of making the debuff bar really complex and crowded which will probably make a majority of the people use the current setup.

06-14-10, 04:22 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm not sure what the difference is.

Also, it's easier to generalize and say "show any aura I can use on the target on the bar" than to start making decisions about show this one but not that one, etc. The idea of using stack counts on auras that don't normally stack was really intended as a way to simplify the display.
  • Stack count is how many times that aura's applied
  • Red tint means you didn't cast it
  • Counter is your time remaining if you did apply it or how long until it is fully expired if you didn't cast it
I think that would be a faily useful data set... yes? no?

06-14-10, 07:50 PM   #13
Lunos13
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm not sure what the difference is.

Also, it's easier to generalize and say "show any aura I can use on the target on the bar" than to start making decisions about show this one but not that one, etc. The idea of using stack counts on auras that don't normally stack was really intended as a way to simplify the display.
  • Stack count is how many times that aura's applied
  • Red tint means you didn't cast it
  • Counter is your time remaining if you did apply it or how long until it is fully expired if you didn't cast it
I think that would be a fairly useful data set... yes? no?
well for my warrior it would be useful as a warrior has like 4-5 debuffs max we can apply. but for some other classes I reckon it would be more of a distraction (e.g:- my lock who can apply around 12-15 debuffs in total but only apply around 3-5 for my destro spec and though I don't play one DKs may face the same issues due to the very large number of debuffs available to them). But more options are always good as long as you keep the option to revert to the default functionality for people who don't like it.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » suggestion:enhanced debuff tracking ability