01-31-06, 02:34 PM   #1
Stonehand
A Defias Bandit
Unhappy WoW Lua coding in linux?

Hi all,

I was wondering how I might be able to set up a WoW environment for lua scripting in linux? I've been able to write and test code that doesn't require any WoW API elements, but now I'm trying to start coding to use WoW functions/objects, and need to be able to have the files actually load and execute. I don't have WoW on this machine (job workstation), but even if I did, I'm not sure how I'd load all necessary files to allow a test case to run. Any help would be appreciated!
01-31-06, 03:15 PM   #2
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Depending on what level your code is (how deep into the API it goes) you won't really be able to test code outside the WoW environment, but there are many times you can make it work.

If you need to do tooltip scanning, and iterating things like the spellbook (Which you do in this case) you can give yourself just enough to test the syntax of your code standalone, and then reload your UI to test the WoW specific portions of it.

I have a parser that I've emultaed some basic functions (UnitName, UnitHealth, etc.) to return random or static values, but once you get into grabbing data from in-game, you mostly have to be in-game.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » WoW Lua coding in linux?