07-03-10, 01:16 PM   #1
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Aesthetic issue - map icons

I'm just now after 6 months playing, looking to replace old faithfull QuestHelper with something better. I've pretty much decided on Carbonite having seen it used in a number of UI kits on this web site.

The only minor issue I have after looking at some screenshots in this forum is the map icons don't appear to have transparent backgrounds, they all appear square with a black background. Is this the case with the current Carbonite version? before I go ahead and install. If yes, are the icons easily located and modified in say Photoshop? if yes, I'll definitely be using Carbonite from now on....I just love the idea of having a mini world map on the screen. And what can I say about the apparent configurability, setting and storing waypoints, favourites etc in folders...brilliant.

07-03-10, 06:08 PM   #2
TrotskyIcepick
It would seem the icons that are a problem are not Carbonite icons, I have checked all those (in the \gfx\map folder) after install and they have transparent backgrounds.

The ones (or at least some of them) that are a problem are quest giver icons, icons for places of interest ie. mailbox, banker, auctioneer etc., flightmaster.

I don't know where Carbonite is picking these up from, but really need to make the backgrounds of these transparent as it makes the map look really messy especially when you have several close together.

Last edited by TrotskyIcepick : 07-03-10 at 06:22 PM.

07-05-10, 12:34 AM   #3
TrotskyIcepick
I take it that nobody else is bothered by this?

07-05-10, 05:33 AM   #4
Jigain
A Molten Giant

I think it's rather than no one has the issues you are describing here, myself included.

07-05-10, 08:35 AM   #5
Chmee
A Molten Giant
What Jigain said.

07-05-10, 12:37 PM   #6
TrotskyIcepick
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
I think it's rather than no one has the issues you are describing here, myself included.
Could you post a screenshot of what the Carbonite map looks like in your setup? I'm absolutely sure the map icons concerned are "not" Carbonite icons, but Blizzard ones, for example, on my map, the quest giver icons looks just like a document icon from WoW instead of the expected exclamation mark.

Just a guess, since I downloaded Carbonite as just one in a pack of pre-configured UI addons (numeinUI...from this site), that it might be something the UI creator has configured?

Sorry to sound petulant in my earlier post, but I really like Carbonite and just this one thing is really spoiling it for me.

07-05-10, 12:56 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by TrotskyIcepick View Post
Could you post a screenshot of what the Carbonite map looks like in your setup? I'm absolutely sure the map icons concerned are "not" Carbonite icons, but Blizzard ones, for example, on my map, the quest giver icons looks just like a document icon from WoW instead of the expected exclamation mark.

Just a guess, since I downloaded Carbonite as just one in a pack of pre-configured UI addons (numeinUI...from this site), that it might be something the UI creator has configured?

Sorry to sound petulant in my earlier post, but I really like Carbonite and just this one thing is really spoiling it for me.
What you are describing is default Carbonite behavior. The UI author has not changed the icons in Carbonite.

If you look at the Carbonite map in this picture, you will notice the "auctioneers" have a black square around them.

07-05-10, 01:00 PM   #8
TrotskyIcepick
Yup, I was just going to post a link to the Carbonite web site showing those icons. I'm just a little confused as to why they would give the icons a black background, they look terrible.

Do you know where in the Carbonite directory structure they are located? 'cos for the life of me I can't find them (hence why I thought they were probably Blizzard icons)

Thanks

07-05-10, 01:31 PM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by TrotskyIcepick View Post
Yup, I was just going to post a link to the Carbonite web site showing those icons. I'm just a little confused as to why they would give the icons a black background, they look terrible.

Do you know where in the Carbonite directory structure they are located? 'cos for the life of me I can't find them (hence why I thought they were probably Blizzard icons)

Thanks
They aren't anywhere in the Carbonite directory. They are, in fact, Blizzard images. If you look around This page, you should be able to find them. Go there when you have some extra time, though. There are a ton of images to look through and the system Blizzard uses to list what images get used where occasionally seems to be (to me, at least) as obfuscated as Carbonite's code.

07-05-10, 04:05 PM   #10
TrotskyIcepick
Thanks for the link Jeff, as I mentioned in earlier posts I kinda recognised them as Blizzard images. Why doesn't Carbonite simply use "all" icons of it's own? A lot of very nice map icons shown are Carbonite ones (all of the circular ones).

It's just a matter of personal taste I guess at the end of the day, the square icons really just take up too much space and look cluttered especially when you're in a city or town.

I'll check the link you posted, and also I have installed all of the Blizzard interface art, data and tutorials. I'm sure I'll figure something out, and when I do I'll post back.

Thanks for your time

07-05-10, 08:43 PM   #11
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're very welcome. You might also try scaling your icons a little smaller.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Aesthetic issue - map icons