08-06-10, 01:39 PM   #1
KippG
A Defias Bandit
Premium Member
Pal Notes

I have notes on my pals under one of my characters but I would like to see the same notes under each character. Is there a way to see them across characters or to manually copy them? I looked on the hard drive and registry but could not find them.

Thanks

08-06-10, 09:13 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Since Carbonite is an addon for WoW (and does not actually get "installed"), there most likely aren't any registry entries for it. While I'm not sure where, exactly, you looked on your hard drive, it obviously wasn't the correct place.

That being said: I don't use the "Enhanced Social Window", so I don't make notes for my "pals", but I would venture a guess that the notes would show up either in the "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder, and look through any of the Lua files in there that are marked for Carbonite, or "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\Server Name\Character Name\SavedVariables\" folder, and look through the "Carbonite.lua" file there (although all I've ever found in this file is "taxi" information, you just never know). Once you see where the information is and how it is in the file, you should be able to copy/paste it to another character.

08-07-10, 01:26 AM   #3
Jigain
A Molten Giant

While I use the enhanced social window, I don't use notes for the characters. :P

But perchance I can add a little to what jeffy wrote.

In your World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<ACCOUNTNAME>\SavedVariables folder, there's a file named Carbonite.lua. If you open it, and do a word search for "pal", you'll soon come across a section that looks sort of like this:

["Pal"] = {
[""] = {
["Augustus"] = "",
["Johnson"] = "80~Paladin",
["Caesar"] = "",
["Gerald"] = "",
["Alphonso"] = "80~Death Knight",
["Sneaker"] = "80~Rogue",
["Ipwnjooatpvp"] = "63~Death Knight",
["Arthasdaughter"] = "",
},
},
All names above are edited for the privacy of my friends.

At any rate, I think it's here that you'll find your notes.

08-07-10, 07:52 AM   #4
KippG
A Defias Bandit
Premium Member
I found the section with my list of pals as you said but the notes for the pals are not there. It looks like yours. All the pals are listed without notes.

I have also done a search internally every file under C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft for one of my notes and nothing came up. They don't appear to be anywhere in this folder or subfolders.

I don't know where else to look.

08-07-10, 09:18 AM   #5
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Last I recall, Carb used the built in notes that WoW allows for friends. That being said, you should be able to use this handy little addon to do what you need. You may have to manually change some toons on your friends list from just friends to Pals though. And it should also pull the notes too.

Addon:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...hBenefits.html

08-07-10, 10:00 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Last I recall, Carb used the built in notes that WoW allows for friends. That being said, you should be able to use this handy little addon to do what you need. You may have to manually change some toons on your friends list from just friends to Pals though. And it should also pull the notes too.

Addon:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...hBenefits.html
Vis, you are correct. If you "install" the FriendsWithBenefits addon the notes you make on your friends list are in that addons saved variables file. Even the ones you add to your "Pals" list in Carbonite. While trying to figure this out last night I enabled the enhanced social window on a character, made a couple of notes on my "Pals" list, exited the game and checked the "Carbonite.lua" file. WTF?? No notes! I have had FWB installed for quite some time now, and never even gave it a thought. I just figured the notes were kept server-side. My new "Pals" notes are in the FWB saved variables file at: "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\FriendsWithBenefits.lua".

So: KippG, I apologize for my earlier misinformation.
jigain, thanks, again, for the assist.
Vis, thanks for steering me in the right direction. Learn something new every day.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-07-10 at 10:02 AM.

08-08-10, 09:17 AM   #7
KippG
A Defias Bandit
Premium Member
FriendsWithBenefits is working perfectly. I think this note sync would be something Carbonite should add but this worked perfectly.

Thanks!!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Pal Notes