11-05-11, 07:27 PM   #1
Aanson
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Addon to change the parent frame.

I use Move Anything which allows me to change the anchor frame for new frames created for my UI, but is there an addon that allows me to change the parent frame?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
11-05-11, 08:30 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, not that I know of... What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-06-11, 12:10 AM   #3
Aanson
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
No, not that I know of... What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Thanks very much for your response

I'm building my own interface and there have been a couple of times where it would be very handy.

A good example is for a button to appear next to AuctionFrame when I open the Auction House. A macro allowing me to accept the "Buyout action?" popup box would be added to this button, and it would be bound to middle mouse button click.

I also use the same mouse button for combat, and for other actions while not in combat and not viewing the auction house.

Everything is in place already. The only hurdle that I've encountered is not being able to have the button only show when AuctionFrame is up.

Ultimately, I need to be able to assign parent frames to my new frames rather than them just being the default 'UIParent'.

Any help you could give with this would be great. Thanks again for taking the time out.
11-06-11, 01:56 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Wait, so are these buttons/frames that you are creating yourself? Or part of the default UI? Or...

If you're making them yourself, just use the parent frame you desire rather than UIParent when doing CreateFrame().

Otherwise, you can also use frame:SetParent("parent")
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-06-11, 05:39 PM   #5
Aanson
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Otherwise, you can also use frame:SetParent("parent")
God no, I'm not an addon author by any means. Apologies if I gave that impression!

I have got pretty good at manipulating the UI using addons like MoveAnything and kgPanels etc though.

I use an action bar addon called Macaroon (which is incredible).

I've created a new bar with 1 standard button on it. Ultimately, all I'd like to do is change it's parent frame.

Do you think I'd be able to go into the .lua and change it there using the above line of code that you kindly suggested? If so, is it important at what point in the existing button code I slot it in?

Now that I think about it, it must already be parented to UIParent surely. I'll have a go at finding the appropriate line of code.

Thanks again for your time so far and wish me luck!!! (Bet I end up breaking something lol)
11-06-11, 05:41 PM   #6
Lily.Petal
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Link in my sig gives a easy-to-use Lua based addon that does this~ Thanks to Nib ;D

All you do is copy the example, and /fstack the frame you want to move, and then put it in and change where you want to put it. Nice and easy~

Called Lua Based UI Hider, it hides things as well as moving them, and only hides/moves what you want to. (two different example lines to show you how)

Aggro Color to KG Panels Borders - Nibelheim
Lua Based UI Hider - Nibelheim
Custom LUA PowerText - Stuf - Nibelheim, Seerah

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon to change the parent frame.