06-23-09, 02:15 PM   #1
Shiver
A Defias Bandit
Multiple Directory Updating

Ahoy landlubbers! \o/

I'll get straight into it...
I have two WoW folders on my system and both are actively used.
Now I'm just wondering, is it possibly to change the Minions "listening" directory to another, or better yet have them both updated at the same time?

To slightly answer your question of "But why do you have two directories?!", it's because I multibox and there are often two characters on each computer at a time. Now this probably leaves you saying "But you can run WoW from one directory twice you nub!", yes I know, but because I don't want all the addons on all of the characters, and going into the AddOns menu for each client, each time I download a new addon and enabling/disabling stuff, I was wondering if I could use 1xMinion to update 2xWoW (or more would be great), allowing each directory to have its own list of selected addons updated.

p.s. The reason above isn't the only reason as to why running multiple WoWs from separate directories is nicer than 5+ all from one directory, but that's a story for another day.

I appreciate any information on this
Thank you!
06-28-09, 11:21 AM   #2
eternal2u
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
same here

i have 3 wow directories and im wondering if it would be possible to get minion to recognize and update them as well

there are some mods that are the same in them but yea....

questhelper/cartographer essential stuff for lvln ya kno
06-28-09, 01:00 PM   #3
dewin
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'll third this, and a major reason is: the PTR client

Though right now I'm working with two WoW directories as well -- I'm in the process of building an entirely new UI setup and don't want to lose my old one until the new one is done.

It would seem like it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with an easy-ish solution to this -- since Minion allows multiple updater modules, just let us add a second instance of a module with a separate configuration and let us give it a nickname for the tabs ("MMOUI - WOW" doesn't really tell me which wow folder I'm updating)
06-28-09, 06:03 PM   #4
Shiver
A Defias Bandit
Fantastic! There are more people on-board for a feature like this.

Almost a week after I posted and no responses, I was starting to get worried :P

From what I read in dewin's post, am I to understand that this could be achieved by developing a module using the API and stuff, or would it require a few tweaks with the actual application itself?

I hope there is more demand for this, it would be greatly appreciated by many.
06-29-09, 03:06 PM   #5
eternal2u
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm gonna bump this for good measure

Dont get me wrong im not updating a bazillion mods, i have one mod for all my slaves that has to be kept up to date but the main toon is running a seperate wow folder as well so that i only load the vital levelign mods up on him like quarts questhelper omnicc cartographer...etc...

It would just be hellishly awesome to not have to manually copy over to each one...

Hope this come sot light
06-29-09, 03:13 PM   #6
Recluse
A Cliff Giant

You could just write a batch file (or similar script for your operating system) that would automatically copy the few addons you want on the secondary clients. Then you'd just double-click the icon after you finish updating with Minion, and everything would be updated.

I'm fairly certain you could incorporate Minion into the batch file, resulting in an automatic update after Minion exited.

Anyhow, while it's not a really hard solution to your issue, it is a workaround to the limitations of Minion that you could pursue.
06-29-09, 03:14 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If I recall correctly, this has been a planned feature for some time. It just hasn't made it in yet.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-06-09, 06:49 PM   #8
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
That or just copy your interface folder from the updated version to the other versions for now.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Multiple Directory Updating