11-11-11, 07:42 AM   #1
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How to create Diff files

• I know kd3 [1] makes diff files from the latest PTR FrameXML, and that Vladinator [2] also posted a (consolidated) diff file. Then I'd just open the raw text file in e.g. Notepad++ or TortoiseUDiff for text highlighting
    -
  • I know there are the online FrameXML browsers [3] [4] [5], and how to export the FrameXML via the console [6], or otherwise via the MPQ Editor [7]
    -
  • I know some basic use of TortoiseSVN and Git, but I'm not sure if creating a local SVN/Git repository and then committing each new FrameXML PTR build would let me export/copypasta straight to a diff file
But I'd rather not have to wait and/or depend on other people making diffs, or wait for the FrameXML browsers to update their PTR tags
(Currently the 3 of them aren't updated for PTR 4.3.0.14980; Nov 8 2011)

So does anyone know how to make a single diff file for e.g. the entire FrameXML folder, and could it maybe be explained in a Diff files for Dummies format?
(In my case I'm on Windows if that matters at all)

Last edited by Ketho : 11-11-11 at 07:59 AM.
11-11-11, 10:21 AM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

When you mentioned it, added new comparisons:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...6&postcount=30

These are indeed the short form versions only for code changes, handy when you need to know if certain code like API how their usage change, e.g.

Full comparisons are huge, like 60MB html, I can add a live to latest PTR in a zip to this post for you to check if you like.

*Edit*

PlayerHasHearthstone() returns the item ID the heartstone item, probably noticed it wasn't smart keeping one id hardcoded since players now got the innkeepers daughter and probably more HS to use in the future. :3
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4.2.2.14545 vs 4.3.0.14980.zip (3.29 MB, 650 views)

Last edited by Vlad : 11-11-11 at 10:32 AM.
11-11-11, 10:45 AM   #3
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
When you mentioned it, added new comparisons:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...6&postcount=30

These are indeed the short form versions only for code changes, handy when you need to know if certain code like API how their usage change, e.g.

Full comparisons are huge, like 60MB html, I can add a live to latest PTR in a zip to this post for you to check if you like.

*Edit*

PlayerHasHearthstone() returns the item ID the heartstone item, probably noticed it wasn't smart keeping one id hardcoded since players now got the innkeepers daughter and probably more HS to use in the future. :3
I appreciate your help, Vladinator, but I'm wondering how to do it myself without having to bother other ppl all the time,
give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. teach a man how to fish, ...
11-11-11, 12:55 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
TortoiseSVN allows you to view a Diff and create a diff file.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-11-11, 02:23 PM   #5
Foxlit
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
You could use the GNU diff utility to do what you want; a Windows version can be downloaded from for instance http://sourceforge.net/projects/unxu...xutils/current (you'll want to place the diff.exe from within the UnxUtils.zip archive somewhere on your windows PATH).

Then, in a command shell (cmd.exe), you can type diff -r path/to/old/FrameXML path/to/new/FrameXML > output.diff, to create a file (output.diff) in the current directory, containing the desired list of changes.
11-11-11, 06:14 PM   #6
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thanks for the replies Foxlit and Seerah, I will try them out

It's already (as well) 1 AM here though ><

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to create Diff files