10-21-12, 12:10 AM   #1
Deipotent
A Murloc Raider
XilUI

Hey guys, I've been a religious creeper of this and other UI sites. I've made quite a few UIs, but I seem to always run into the same problem. At some point, some addons won't line up or I can't get something to work. I get too frustrated and I go back to qulight, but I really want to stick with this one.

This UI focuses on healers.

This is what I currently have, but the biggest problem I'm running into is where to put the buffs/debuffs. I've been thinking about doing ~38 icons 5 wrapped above the target for the buff/debuffs.

Pretty much just looking for ideas on where to fit everything and any other stuff you guys noticed.

PS: The chat box and Raid Frames have been lined up after this picture
10-21-12, 09:37 PM   #2
0zWolf
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
One idea could be to run two vertical timelines above the user box. One for buffs, one for debuffs.

Put the maximum at the top, then buffs and timers cascade down and if you're paying attention around the player/target unit frames then you'll see the icons for expiring buffs, etc.
10-21-12, 10:13 PM   #3
0zWolf
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Should also comment that I like asymmetrical designs. Granted, my head hurts thinking of ways to build them but love the efforts.
10-31-12, 04:37 PM   #4
Deipotent
A Murloc Raider
Updated:

10-31-12, 05:56 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm guessing the transparent castbar is intentional, but since no other bars have transparent backgrounds (foregrounds?) it just looks broken.

While the UI being completely lopsided doesn't bother me as much as I'd expect, the action buttons do seem like they're on the wrong side of the screen for the majority of (right-handed) users... at least for me, it feels more natural to have things to be clicked on the side of the screen that's physically closer to the mouse. Also, that's a lot of buttons to be clicked... try using Squire2 or something for your mount, and OPie for infrequently used spells like blessings and cooldowns.

The combination of black borders and bright bars is too high-contrast. Maybe try using a darker bar texture.

Do you really need your buffs duplicated above the player frame and in the top right of the screen?

The Mail indicator on your minimap is spilling over the edge of the minimap, and is using a different font than the rest of your UI, except the quest tracker which should probably also be changed to use the same font as everything else.

Also, spacing. Why is the top of Recount flush against the edge of the screen, but the left has a gap? Why is the bottom of your "main block" flush against the edge of the screen, but the player buffs have gaps on both the top and side?

Finally, I think it would look better (and be easier to read at a glance) if there was a little space between each unit frame. Even 5 or 10 pixels would make it much clearer which bars belong to which frame.

You could also reduce clutter by hiding health text on full health bars (same goes for power) and getting rid of the rep bar on your player frame (you already show rep on the info bar below your chat frame).
10-31-12, 10:14 PM   #6
Deipotent
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I'm guessing the transparent castbar is intentional, but since no other bars have transparent backgrounds (foregrounds?) it just looks broken.
Touche. What would look better, class color cast bar with black background or vice versa?

While the UI being completely lopsided doesn't bother me as much as I'd expect, the action buttons do seem like they're on the wrong side of the screen for the majority of (right-handed) users... at least for me, it feels more natural to have things to be clicked on the side of the screen that's physically closer to the mouse. Also, that's a lot of buttons to be clicked... try using Squire2 or something for your mount, and OPie for infrequently used spells like blessings and cooldowns.
Normally, I hate having my raid frames off to the side, but I was going for a setup in which I would have better feet visibility for mechanics. I don't click, I have everything keybound, but the point of the bars is for alts, etc, to remind me where they are.

The combination of black borders and bright bars is too high-contrast. Maybe try using a darker bar texture.
I used the brighter bar texture to pull focus onto the raid frames. I might end up doing a slightly transparent grey or black, similar to the chat panel.

Do you really need your buffs duplicated above the player frame and in the top right of the screen?
Those are the target buffs/debuffs, I'm just targeting myself in this picture :P

The Mail indicator on your minimap is spilling over the edge of the minimap, and is using a different font than the rest of your UI, except the quest tracker which should probably also be changed to use the same font as everything else.
Normally, it's a greyed out icon, but definitely. It bugs me A LOT when it pops up, but it's on the to do list.

Also, spacing. Why is the top of Recount flush against the edge of the screen, but the left has a gap? Why is the bottom of your "main block" flush against the edge of the screen, but the player buffs have gaps on both the top and side?
Originally I had the title bar hidden on skada and I haven't moved it down yet. As for the bottom, well... I'm crying a little bit thinking about how long it would take to move everything up. Maybe I'll do a 10px bar on the top with sldt that hides in combat?

Finally, I think it would look better (and be easier to read at a glance) if there was a little space between each unit frame. Even 5 or 10 pixels would make it much clearer which bars belong to which frame.
I tried that, but it felt off with the raid frames not having any spacing, it kind of looks weird.

You could also reduce clutter by hiding health text on full health bars (same goes for power) and getting rid of the rep bar on your player frame (you already show rep on the info bar below your chat frame).
Removed the Rep bar, had the exp bar enabled while on an alt (which includes the rep bar).
How do I hide at full on Shadowed Unit Frames?
11-01-12, 02:56 AM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Deipotent View Post
What would look better, class color cast bar with black background or vice versa?
I'd go with the same color scheme you use for other bars, for consistency.

I don't click, I have everything keybound, but the point of the bars is for alts, etc, to remind me where they are.
How do you keep track of which button is bound to what without the keybinds visible? That's a lot of buttons...

How do I hide at full on Shadowed Unit Frames?
No idea; I've never used it.
11-01-12, 04:15 AM   #8
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

How do you keep track of which button is bound to what without the keybinds visible? That's a lot of buttons...
I also disable the display of keybinds on my buttons. I have numerous keybinds, but I don't need to be constantly reminded which spell is bound to what. However, if I get on a character I haven't played in a long time, I may turn them back on—briefly.

Another reason I disable them is due to my use of InlineAura and OmniCC. The information they display takes precedence for my gameplay and there is only so much button real estate available.
11-01-12, 03:29 PM   #9
Deipotent
A Murloc Raider
They're all in series.

1: 1-6
2: [Shift] + 1-6
3: [Alt] + 1-6
4: [Ctrl] + 1-6
5: F, [Shift] + F, R, [Shift] + R, G, [Shift] + G
6: T, [Shift] + T, [Shift] + MB5, ~, [Shift] + ~, [Alt] + ~

And that's the same lines of keybinds on every toon. It ends up having a relation, T is always an interupt, etc
11-01-12, 04:11 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

1: 1-6
2: [Shift] + 1-6
3: [Alt] + 1-6
4: [Ctrl] + 1-6
Okay, that makes sense. Have you considered, though, combining those into one bar that switches actions when you press the modifier? I'd also suggest that you install OPie and at least give it a try. It's great for keeping buffs and other non-critical actions out of the way, and would help cut down on the amount of stuff on the screen. Even though your bars seems fairly well organized (at least in terms of the keybindings; the actual actions don't seem to be organized very well at all ) the huge block still looks very overwhelming.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » XilUI