05-15-17, 08:31 AM   #1
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
How do authors make graphics?

Hi all,

This time it is more like a generic question about graphics than programming.

How do authors create their own graphics?

Like all the authors do, I also try to put same value on graphics as much as I do on programming. However, I've never learnt anything about graphics or even a Photoshop. Thus, only thing that I can do is using resources from the web or packages like this.

I'm not saying that they are bad, but I can't fully show/express my individuality and originality.

So, I would like to ask how addon authors create their graphics.

Last edited by Layback_ : 05-15-17 at 08:33 AM.
05-15-17, 09:03 AM   #2
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I draw my own textures in Photoshop o_O

-- edit #1

I'd say drawing artwork is kinda uncommon, many users prefer flat UIs and many devs don't want to bother w/ artwork, majority of them isn't artists, they're programmers, you know, so for them popularity of flat UIs is a win.

Last edited by lightspark : 05-15-17 at 09:34 AM.
05-15-17, 10:36 AM   #3
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Exporting the WoW art files can create a great resource for graphics, the girls and guys creating art at Blizzard seem to be reasonably good . The two new skins for my UI (seen here) were largely done this way.

I use Xara and Gimp for creating my graphics and I'm certainly no artist.
05-15-17, 02:51 PM   #4
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

It's pretty obvious how it's done.

Create said art in a program that supports tga. You could also download BLP2PNG and then create the files and save them as png. Then use that program to convert which turns them into blp.

The 2 main graphic programs that people use that support tga..
- Photoshop (not free unless you know where to dl)
- Gimp (free)

Most if not all graphic programs support png.

Here's some helpful information with textures: https://forums.wowace.com/showthread.php?t=15439
05-15-17, 03:51 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Paint.net also supports .tga files.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-15-17, 06:01 PM   #6
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Photoshop. I'm mostly creating simple graphics and using blending options to create the magic. If you can get a hold of Photoshop (in one way or another) you can make pretty good looking graphics without any artistic drawing skill behind it. If you don't know where to start, there are plenty of good tutorials online for that endeavour.
05-17-17, 05:51 PM   #7
Layback_
An Onyxian Warder
Hm... maybe I should try using Gimp.

Last time when I used it, I found it complex for me, but since I don't own a license for Photoshop (and since I don't want to use a pirate version) maybe it's a time for me to deal with it

Thanks for all replies!
05-17-17, 07:05 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Uhmmm - I've got to say - I make a couple of plug-ins (for Masque and Minimap Button Frame) and I use both Photoshop and Gimp. It is not that tough (but my plug-ins use generally easy graphics).

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
05-17-17, 08:02 PM   #9
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I generally use Fireworks (formerly of Macromedia, now owned by Adobe) and more rarely Photoshop (which has a much wider selection of plug ins), though GIMP is a far cheaper alternative but "create their graphics" is kind of open to interpretation -- anywhere from making sure the .png file is sized to ^2 for .blp conversion to 'Picasso meets Bob Ross'

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » How do authors make graphics?