04-14-09, 06:26 PM   #21
Aligatr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by spiritwulf View Post
Yes, as someone who has uploaded addons to this site, trust me, they are very thorough.
At times when i first started i thought i'd never get the dang thing aproved hehehe

Nothin but love Cairenn, and thanks for your patience
Hahaha, well thats real good to know. I'll def be getting them from here from now on then. ; )
04-14-09, 06:27 PM   #22
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Provided Blizz's site stays up,patch day and all you know, take a look here http://www.blizzardstore.com/store/d...?id=1100000182. There's also a newer mobile phone version for those that have an Iphone I believe it was. They will both work the same way though.

Another site showing a How To from buying to using the Authenticator: http://www.gamespot.com/hardware/blo...-hands-on.html

*Edit: Added how to

Last edited by Vis : 04-14-09 at 06:29 PM.
04-14-09, 06:29 PM   #23
Aligatr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
You didn't necessarily have to play. It could have been logging into the forums.
True, but if it takes months for someone to get my info and actually perform the hack that couldnt be the case either. I've just recently subscribed to this forum, and this is the first time i've actually been on it. Last week some time was the first time i logged in, and that was to join to group to download NUI +.
04-14-09, 06:31 PM   #24
Aligatr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
It's a physical device that gives you a secure password on each login. Makes your account pretty much hack-proof.
I like the sound of that. Do you know where and how i could get this by chance?
04-14-09, 06:33 PM   #25
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Scroll up to my post on this page, links are in the message FYI, Blizz is usually sold out, and when they get them in stock, they go fast!
04-14-09, 06:39 PM   #26
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Aligatr View Post
And as far as the executables you mentioned in some of the addons, i have quite a few, questhelper being one of them. Should i go ahead and clean all that off, and re-download from this site? Just to be safe?
QuestHelper can be trusted *if* you got it from a reputable place like WoWI or Curse. If you got it anywhere else, I would be terrified of it because you're expecting to get an executable and that's easy to dupe with a keylogger.

Generally, I would be afraid of any "WoW Mod" that included an executable unless I knew exactly what it was, where it came from and how much I could trust it.

This site and Curse you can trust... anything else I would be wary of.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
04-14-09, 08:23 PM   #27
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
True, but if it takes months for someone to get my info and actually perform the hack that couldnt be the case either. I've just recently subscribed to this forum, and this is the first time i've actually been on it. Last week some time was the first time i logged in, and that was to join to group to download NUI +.
Not this forum, silly. The official WoW forums. The ones that would have the same login information as your account. Or even their account management pages.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-14-09, 10:23 PM   #28
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

And as far as the executables you mentioned in some of the addons, i have quite a few, questhelper being one of them. Should i go ahead and clean all that off, and re-download from this site? Just to be safe?
I can't think of even one legitimate addon at the moment that requires an executable to load or install. I'm sure an admin could count on one hand the amount of .exe files hosted on this site, and those are likely tools, not addons.

To answer your question, yes, I would remove any .exe files in your addon directory, or relating to WoW addons, however, if you already ran an .exe file with a keylogger, you will need to identify the keylogger and remove it. Simply removing the installer (.exe file) doesn't do any good except preventing you from reinstalling.
04-14-09, 10:53 PM   #29
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

QuestHelper is NEVER distributed in executable form. When you unzip the folder you should see only the following kinds of files:
.lua (the code)
.xml (code as well, QH doesn't use any, but it's embedded libraries do)
.toc (Tells WoW what it needs to know about the addon)
.tga (image)
.txt (readme files)

anything else, especially .exe or .msi, and your whatever you've got, it's not QH (though it may have installed QH to keep you from realizing it). If you have addons with .exe files they are likely what gave you the keylogger. I highly recommend ONLY downloading addons from WoWI and Curse.

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I can't think of even one legitimate addon at the moment that requires an executable to load or install.
Only one I know of with an installer is MobMap.

Last edited by Vyper : 04-14-09 at 10:55 PM.
04-15-09, 04:17 AM   #30
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Didn't QuestHelper have a tool at one time that would upload your SavedVariables data to the QH site for the database? I know Cosmos and Thottbot did as well.

When I was talking about EXEs, I wasn't talking about installers, I was talking about tools in the distribution for updating data and such.

And yes, there's only a very small handful that use them and it's generally a frowned upon practice.

04-15-09, 04:45 AM   #31
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
We all know its scott hes in out account logging our keys stealing our phat lootz.
04-15-09, 05:18 AM   #32
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Wai you gives way mai secretz?

04-15-09, 04:22 PM   #33
Aligatr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Not this forum, silly. The official WoW forums. The ones that would have the same login information as your account. Or even their account management pages.
Ahh, ok. : p Well, that could very well have been a factor too. ; /
04-15-09, 04:26 PM   #34
Aligatr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
QuestHelper is NEVER distributed in executable form. When you unzip the folder you should see only the following kinds of files:
.lua (the code)
.xml (code as well, QH doesn't use any, but it's embedded libraries do)
.toc (Tells WoW what it needs to know about the addon)
.tga (image)
.txt (readme files)

anything else, especially .exe or .msi, and your whatever you've got, it's not QH (though it may have installed QH to keep you from realizing it). If you have addons with .exe files they are likely what gave you the keylogger. I highly recommend ONLY downloading addons from WoWI and Curse.

Only one I know of with an installer is MobMap.
I dont know if i have any executables or not. But i will be checking. I was just saying that i do have QH as well as lots of other addons, because someone mentioned QH being targeted.
04-15-09, 07:15 PM   #35
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Didn't QuestHelper have a tool at one time that would upload your SavedVariables data to the QH site for the database? I know Cosmos and Thottbot did as well.

When I was talking about EXEs, I wasn't talking about installers, I was talking about tools in the distribution for updating data and such.

And yes, there's only a very small handful that use them and it's generally a frowned upon practice.
Unless Smariot was distributing one and discontinued it before .27 (when I came on board), no QH has always relied on users to locate the proper file and e-mail it in.
I'd be shocked to learn the Smariot created a Window's executable, he always seemed to hold it in distain.

I dont know if i have any executables or not. But i will be checking. I was just saying that i do have QH as well as lots of other addons, because someone mentioned QH being targeted.
Ah I misunderstood. I took it to mean you had an executable claiming to be QuestHelper.
04-16-09, 02:31 AM   #36
ekna
A Kobold Labourer

Well i don't have that problem any more, got myself an authenticator and if one or the other doesn't match (password or code) forget it, you also need it for your account log in so be gone pests of key loggers and welcome to the "safer" way of playing wow
04-16-09, 03:15 AM   #37
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ekna View Post
Well i don't have that problem any more, got myself an authenticator and if one or the other doesn't match (password or code) forget it, you also need it for your account log in so be gone pests of key loggers and welcome to the "safer" way of playing wow
Keep in mind that even with an authenticator, that may keep your wow account safe but it does nothing for any of the other things you log into on your computer that use a login and a password.... forums, email accounts, banking etcetera. In other words, don't forget to continue safety on the net.
04-17-09, 11:38 AM   #38
Aligatr
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by ekna View Post
How does this whole authenticator thing work, and how much does it cost?
04-17-09, 11:48 AM   #39
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Repost of my earlier list

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Provided Blizz's site stays up,patch day and all you know, take a look here xxxxxxx. There's also a newer mobile phone version for those that have an Iphone I believe it was. They will both work the same way though.

Another site showing a How To from buying to using the Authenticator: http://www.gamespot.com/hardware/blo...-hands-on.html

*Edit: Added how to

Last edited by Vis : 04-17-09 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed my dead link
04-17-09, 11:48 AM   #40
Delmara
A Fallenroot Satyr
How does this whole authenticator thing work, and how much does it cost?
http://www.blizzardstore.com/store/d...?id=1100000442 gives you information about the authenticator.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » account compromised?