03-30-12, 02:56 AM   #1
feraldrood
A Theradrim Guardian

interface community?

WHERE'D EVERYONE GO?

man, I leave for a sec. and there's no more ui design discussion/debate, or "look at my shiny ui" threads anymore. I mean, yes everything is still here and i recognize some of the old hats (still doing cool stuff guys) but it feels like some creepy deserted town where theres no more community.

my spider senses are telling me the ui community is just fu**ed- lich king/2nd half of bc were the golden days.

is it just me though? help lol

Last edited by feraldrood : 03-30-12 at 03:00 AM. Reason: articulating
03-30-12, 03:08 AM   #2
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've sensed similar, things seemed to start quieting down towards the end of LK and into Cata. Hell, the same thing happened to my friends list (was 20+ in LK, now 3 in Cata)
03-30-12, 03:09 AM   #3
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

I think the most active people here got their heads in the beta right now, trying to be one step ahead so that some addons will work when the expansion hits It's not a tiny piece of work.

And yeah, while cataclysm has been going on blizzard have lost a big number of subscribers, and the community too for sure, even if it's not as many.

And I'd like to say the community is rolling on good, it's been competitions and forum posts and updated/new compilations like always, there's just not as many posts in the 'here's my UI'-threads Which got their own part of the forums now btw!
03-30-12, 01:51 PM   #4
Stanzilla
An Aku'mai Servant
I think the re-organization of this forum kinda killed the mood. Before everyone could just throw some shots in the thread and get feedback, now it's all complicated and one has to provide a proper thread etc. and of course the fact that world of warcraft is slowly dying.
03-30-12, 02:15 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Stanzilla View Post
I think the re-organization of this forum kinda killed the mood. Before everyone could just throw some shots in the thread and get feedback, now it's all complicated and one has to provide a proper thread etc. and of course the fact that world of warcraft is slowly dying.
No, that would be you. I'm still having fun twisting the knife, though.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-30-12, 02:18 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I put up a poll for everyone to vote on.
03-30-12, 02:27 PM   #7
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
...put a poll up.
03-31-12, 12:19 AM   #8
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Stanzilla View Post
I think the re-organization of this forum kinda killed the mood.
A few years ago (nearly) every ui posted looked different ... today there are just two or three directions.

But I have the feeling that uploads are rising again
03-31-12, 09:51 AM   #9
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Back before I quit (right before Cata came out) I was so fed up with WoW that the only reason I even played anymore was to fiddle with my UI. I know a few people who were in the same boat, or who only farmed achievements/rare mounts etc.

People aren't bored of UIs, they're bored of WoW.

/obligatory rant about how every UI looks the same, the good old days, etc.
03-31-12, 10:00 AM   #10
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The UI community isn't even close to what it used to be back in late TBC/early WotLK.

I feel that TukUI, while a great UI, shot the creative UI community in the face and now we have a horribly disfigured abomination instead of the amazing community we used to have.
If the shot to the face wasn't bad enough, Cataclysm decided to burn the abomination, further destroying it.

I'm hoping Mists of Pandaria brings it back. I miss the days when there were new quality posts daily on several boards instead of the "1 good UI posted per month" **** we have going on now.

Rant over.

Also, as for the poll question, why not do both? Let us have our "Post your UI" thread in this very forum and see how that works out. I feel as if you're doing it "the blizzard way" where there have to be one or the other, and never the middle ground. Try it out and see how it feels!
04-02-12, 06:43 AM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by feraldrood View Post
WHERE'D EVERYONE GO?

man, I leave for a sec. and there's no more ui design discussion/debate, or "look at my shiny ui" threads anymore. I mean, yes everything is still here and i recognize some of the old hats (still doing cool stuff guys) but it feels like some creepy deserted town where theres no more community.

my spider senses are telling me the ui community is just fu**ed- lich king/2nd half of bc were the golden days.

is it just me though? help lol

I found a UI that I like (ElvUI) and have stuck with it for quite some time. Since I'm happy with the UI I use, there's no point in me visiting the UI threads. Hell, I don't even post much anymore because I'm too busy enjoying the game (after almost 5 years I still love Wow and find immense joy in it) and not worrying about my UI.
04-02-12, 08:44 AM   #12
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

I know I'm not known here or anything, but yes I got fed up of WoW for an year now and only recently returned because of a Scroll and I'm enjoying WoW again. I left at the beginning of Cataclysm, the game wasn't fun any more for me, 6 straight years takes its toll.

I still use my lumUI based on my lumen oUF frames, although I need to fix some stuff. I think when logging in one can feel that the servers are way more empty...

Last edited by neverg : 04-02-12 at 09:32 AM.
04-02-12, 02:19 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

I haven't made any significant changes to my UI in a long time. I guess after 6 or so years of tweaking, I finally got it right. I still fiddle a little bit with fonts and bar textures, but nothing worth posting about. Until significant changes are made to the game (eg. making the game harder again so that things like threat meters, boss timers, and detailed raid frames are worth looking at) I don't anticipate changing much in my UI. I'd guess that a lot of other people are in similar positions with their own UIs.

All the TukUI edits and such seemed mainly aimed at attracting other people to use them, rather than being designed to meet the needs of the person creating them. While there's not necessarily anything wrong with that, it does mean that the main changes are purely aesthetic (eg. different art panels, colored borders, fonts, and such) instead of driven by actual needs/wants for better functionality or usability, which greatly reduces the amount of change you're going to see between iterations.
06-10-12, 01:18 AM   #14
itsjustadrian
A Murloc Raider
This topic seems even more relevant now with the main stickied thread hardly being updated. Post some more guys!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » interface community?