12-09-08, 10:06 PM   #1
Siku
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Editing Game tooltips

I recently started trying to make my own addons, and right now im blocked at trying to edit the tooltips that opens when you go over Strength, Agility and such, problem is the how to do it,

So far, i know i would need to hook the tooltip to edit it, but whenever i try reading about that, it explaisn how to hook an item, spell or buff, not really what i want.

I also checked in the framexml and what i want would be the PaperDollStatTooltip, but im not sure if its the name or what to do exactly with the info.

And by reading wowwiki widget api documentation, i guess that would go inline with using GameTooltip:AddLine (or AddDoubleLine)...

So, anyone out there could help a future author with how to get it all together?
01-23-09, 08:32 AM   #2
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I am yet to make a mod that alters the tool tip, but the best advice I have for you is to read the code of some addons that do it, and then fiddle and poke them.

Check out the documentation at http://wowprogramming.com and http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warcraft_API

Some addons that modify the tooltip:
Engravings

TipTac

ManaPerc

Also, check out LibExtraTip. Via norganna SVN, it 'Assists in the management of additional tooltip information.'

Also, for real-time help (at IRC speeds), visit the WoWInterface community at irc.freenode.net#WoWUIDev.

And do you have The book? Recommended.

If you still cannot understand how to do tooltips, try something simpler and work your way up to that.

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.

Last edited by Mike-N-Go : 01-23-09 at 08:35 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Editing Game tooltips