01-03-14, 05:13 PM   #41
10leej
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Weather report just came in we're supposed to bounce between 30 and -20 every other day >.>

I was told to blame the Canadians for not knowing how to keep a hold on their cold weather. Sorry guys.
01-03-14, 07:27 PM   #42
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Tough picking just one favorite movie... Inception maybe, or the Hobbit films. I feel like a child in a candy shop when watching those, even though a lot of people seem to dislike them for various reasons.
I just can't get into LOTR, either the books or the movies. Tolkien is the most boring writer in the history of writing. I gave up somewhere in the first half of the first book, after the the 2473th time I had to skim past a 8947-word description of the rocks on the path or the clouds in the sky. I got dragged to see the first three movies at the cinema, and they were way too long. Maybe for someone who'd read the books and knew the story, they were interesting, but for me it was just an ass-numbing long time of nothing happening. I have not seen either of the new Hobbit movies, and don't plan to.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I'd MUCH rather have dry heat than this crap here in Memphis. (If it's a humid day in the summer - which it's always a humid day - you can feel your hands get sticky as soon as you walk outside. The air is thick and it's hard to breathe/move.) Some day we'll move back north.
After living in Montana, going back to Seattle was great. I could feel the glorious moisture in the air settle on my skin like a cloak of healing mist. However, I was in upstate New York last summer, and that was pretty terrible, though I think it was still better than the 90-degrees-and-0-humidity Montana summer.

Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
Only a t-shirt? >.<
Well, obviously not only a T-shirt. I was wearing pants and shoes (no, those aren't my manly ankles, though the shark tattoo isn't bad) and all the things people normally wear under them.
01-03-14, 09:02 PM   #43
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Well, obviously not only a T-shirt. I was wearing pants and shoes (no, those aren't my manly ankles, though the shark tattoo isn't bad) and all the things people normally wear under them.
I simply couldn't resist saying that :P

Also: I love those shoes, I wore my ex' for a while. And yeah, those are manly ankles, especially the hairy legs to go with them. I would naturally assume those aren't yours.
01-03-14, 09:34 PM   #44
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I just can't get into LOTR, either the books or the movies. Tolkien is the most boring writer in the history of writing. I gave up somewhere in the first half of the first book, after the the 2473th time I had to skim past a 8947-word description of the rocks on the path or the clouds in the sky. I got dragged to see the first three movies at the cinema, and they were way too long. Maybe for someone who'd read the books and knew the story, they were interesting, but for me it was just an ass-numbing long time of nothing happening. I have not seen either of the new Hobbit movies, and don't plan to.
I'm not a massive fan of Tolkien's writing either... But I think the universe he created is fantastic. I really struggled reading the books, because they are a bit of a drag as you say, and I found the visual spectrum much better for his universe.

I really like the LOTR movies, I regularly rewatch the extended cuts in one sitting, and I can't get enough. I think they're amazing. More than that though, I think the Hobbit films are masterpieces. I absolutely love them.

When I watched The Desolation of Smaug just a month ago, I sat there with my jaw dropped to the floor and wide-eyed as if I'd seen Jesus himself on screen. Completely enchanted, I don't even know why. My friends give me a ton of crap for it though.

I don't hold it against anyone that can't get into them though, they aren't for everyone. The Hobbit films especially get flak for being too long.

Out of curiosity, and in an attempt to derail the thread even further, do you like fantasy in general? My favorite books are GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, have you read those?
As for non-fantasy books, Generation Kill and 1984 are amazing too.

Last edited by Wimpface : 01-03-14 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Removed cursewords because asterisks are ugly
01-03-14, 09:34 PM   #45
10leej
A Molten Giant

I simply couldn't resist saying that :P

Also: I love those shoes, I wore my ex' for a while. And yeah, those are manly ankles, especially the hairy legs to go with them. I would naturally assume those aren't yours.
I refuse to believe those are not Phanx's ankles, Phanx is the one that linked the picture afterall.
01-03-14, 10:27 PM   #46
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
I refuse to believe those are not Phanx's ankles, Phanx is the one that linked the picture afterall.
I'll let you in on a little secret... sometimes, when it's the middle of winter, some women are lazy, and then after a few weeks that picture might be a fairly accurate representation of said womens' legs.

Out of curiosity, and in an attempt to derail the thread even further, do you like fantasy in general? My favorite books are GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire, have you read those?
Yes, fantasy and scifi are the main genres I read, along with some random thrillers and mysteries (basically, if the movie version would be full of explosions/gunfire/aliens/spies/suspense/adrenaline/testosterone but not too campy/gory, I will probably like it, but I also enjoy some slower-paced mysteries). CS Friedman is my absolute favorite author. I love everything she's written. Dat Coldfire trilogy!

I didn't like Song of Fire and Ice though, and quit before the end... too much politics. Unfortunately a lot of fantasy series tend to fall into this trap. I don't care about how your brother's mother's uncle's seventh cousin is feuding with your sister's lover's brother's nephew, thanks.
01-03-14, 10:29 PM   #47
10leej
A Molten Giant

I'll let you in on a little secret... sometimes, when it's the middle of winter, some women are lazy, and then after a few weeks that picture might be a fairly accurate representation of said womens' legs.
I never knew you were so lazy.
01-03-14, 10:33 PM   #48
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Well, I am too. But only because I epilate, in the winter - I can save myself some pain every now and then

Try it, you'll understand why we moan about it often :P
01-03-14, 10:35 PM   #49
10leej
A Molten Giant

Well, I am too. But only because I epilate, in the winter - I can save myself some pain every now and then

Try it, you'll understand why we moan about it often :P
If you looked at the picture of myself I linked earlier I don't shave.
01-03-14, 11:20 PM   #50
Phanx
Cat.

Like a cat.
01-03-14, 11:29 PM   #51
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Yes, fantasy and scifi are the main genres I read, along with some random thrillers and mysteries (basically, if the movie version would be full of explosions/gunfire/aliens/spies/suspense/adrenaline/testosterone but not too campy/gory, I will probably like it, but I also enjoy some slower-paced mysteries). CS Friedman is my absolute favorite author. I love everything she's written. Dat Coldfire trilogy!

I didn't like Song of Fire and Ice though, and quit before the end... too much politics. Unfortunately a lot of fantasy series tend to fall into this trap. I don't care about how your brother's mother's uncle's seventh cousin is feuding with your sister's lover's brother's nephew, thanks.
I'll check CS Friedman out, I think I have When True Night Falls lying around my house somewhere, but I'd have to pick Black Sun Rising up first.

Interesting how we're on such vastly different ends of the spectrum, do you like Ender's Game? I've not seen the movie, but I thought the book was okay.

Another book I've been reading lately is Into Thin Air. It's really good, if you enjoy biographies.

I've been thinking of picking up The Wheel of Time, but there are so many books in the series, feels like such a huge commitment.
01-04-14, 12:09 AM   #52
Phanx
Cat.

I'll check CS Friedman out, I think I have When True Night Falls lying around my house somewhere, but I'd have to pick Black Sun Rising up first.
While I'd strongly urge you to buy it, because it's awesome, I do have an ebook I can send you if you want to try before you buy. I've already bought 3 hard copies, so I don't feel bad about sharing.

... do you like Ender's Game? I've not seen the movie, but I thought the book was okay.
I liked the book when I read it as a young teen, but when I went back and re-read it as an adult I thought it was just okay. The movie was pretty terrible. Absolutely no character development, and very little world-building, so if you hadn't already read the book I doubt you'd get much out of the movie.

I've been thinking of picking up The Wheel of Time, but there are so many books in the series, feels like such a huge commitment.
This is another one where I thought it was pretty good as a 13-year-old, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it as an adult. I do remember finding all the female characters super annoying. The author was either not very good at writing female characters, or genuinely viewed all women as flighty, shrieky, bossy, hysterical harpies, because that's what the women in his books are. Also, 15+ years later I still groan at the thought of reading yet another variation on the sentence "Nynaeve stomped her foot and tugged on her braid in irritation/exasperation/frustration/annoyance/boredom/anger". I swear, all that character ever did was pull on her braid, stomp her feet, and yell about things. She's supposed to be a grown woman, but she acts like a 5-year-old. I do remember liking one of the main male characters, the one who could channel, but that may have been because he was always described as shirtless and sexy...
01-04-14, 12:20 AM   #53
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

While I'd strongly urge you to buy it, because it's awesome, I do have an ebook I can send you if you want to try before you buy. I've already bought 3 hard copies, so I don't feel bad about sharing.
I prefer hard copies (paperbacks, really) to ebooks, I just can't get into ebooks. Audio books don't work for me either. Thanks anyway! I'm going to go check through our hordes of books to see if I have them, I'm sure I've seen When True Night Falls around and it makes sense that I'd have the first book too.

I liked the book when I read it as a young teen, but when I went back and re-read it as an adult I thought it was just okay. The movie was pretty terrible. Absolutely no character development, and very little world-building, so if you hadn't already read the book I doubt you'd get much out of the movie.
Yeah it did seem like it was aimed more at a slightly younger audience, I didn't think it was as great as many people claim, but I don't regret reading it.

I might see the movie eventually, won't pay to see it in the theatre, most reviews seem to agree with what you say.

This is another one where I thought it was pretty good as a 13-year-old, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it as an adult. I do remember finding all the female characters super annoying. The author was either not very good at writing female characters, or genuinely viewed all women as flighty, shrieky, bossy, hysterical harpies, because that's what the women in his books are. Also, 15+ years later I still groan at the thought of reading yet another variation on the sentence "Nynaeve stomped her foot and tugged on her braid in irritation/exasperation/frustration/annoyance/boredom/anger". I swear, all that character ever did was pull on her braid, stomp her feet, and yell about things. She's supposed to be a grown woman, but she acts like a 5-year-old. I do remember liking one of the main male characters, the one who could channel, but that may have been because he was always described as shirtless and sexy...
I can't stand badly written female characters, because they all seem to fall into this whiny immature image don't they? I'm going to keep passing on it for now then, as that's one of the things I dislike the most about the fantasy genre.

Finding works with good female characters seems a lot harder than it should be, I wonder why that is.
01-04-14, 12:58 AM   #54
Phanx
Cat.

I prefer hard copies (paperbacks, really) to ebooks, I just can't get into ebooks. Audio books don't work for me either.
Oh god, audio books. I don't even know that I could make it though an audio book if it were narrated in song by Till Lindemann (Rammstein) or Geddy Lee (Rush).

I don't really like ebooks either, but because I don't like them, they are actually effective as a "try before you buy" device. I generally don't even finish the ebook... if I like it, I go buy the hardcover, and if not, I don't feel obligated to keep reading since I didn't invest any time or money in obtaining it. Also, ebooks are convenient while traveling.

The same principle doesn't apply to movies or music, unfortunately, since the Pirate Edition is actually a better product than the official version... no, I don't want your crappy 128kpbs MP3, and no, I don't want your useless plastic box and a stupid disk I haven't had a playback device for in a decade! I do make a point of buying albums I really like, but I literally never open the package. I have a box full of CDs still in their factory sealed plastic. (Actually, Bandcamp is great, because you get lossless digital copies. I wish the major labels would get with the program.)
01-04-14, 01:11 AM   #55
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Geddy Lee could sing the local macas menu and if done in Rush style I will listen repeatedly. I could also say the same for Fish and Marillion . Anyone for Ten Years After (Wishing Well)?

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 01-04-14 at 01:18 AM.
01-04-14, 01:23 AM   #56
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
01-04-14, 03:05 AM   #57
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Sorry... feel free to move all the offending posts to a new thread.

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Geddy Lee could sing the local macas menu and if done in Rush style I will listen repeatedly.
I don't even know what macas is/are (and Google was no help, wtf) but I would eat there if Geddy Lee was singing the menu.
01-04-14, 03:07 AM   #58
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Lol, I've been helping derail it. I just thought that I'd point it out. You know, obvious post is obvious.
01-04-14, 07:04 AM   #59
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Lol, I've been helping derail it. I just thought that I'd point it out. You know, obvious post is obvious.
Well, I am afraid we may have scared Icicle...
01-04-14, 11:14 AM   #60
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
I don't even know what macas is/are (and Google was no help, wtf) but I would eat there if Geddy Lee was singing the menu.
Aussie slang for Macdonalds.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Introduction Post