07-26-16, 02:30 PM   #1
zovc
A Defias Bandit
Trying to customize my UI, what do I need?

Hey WoWInterface!

It's been quite some time since I played World of Warcraft. I like a lot of new things in the game and am somewhat hyped for Legion, which honestly isn't a place I expected myself to be in. I played levels 1-20 with some friends to unlock a hero in Hearthstone and now I'm compelled to start playing WoW again.

The problem is, I really can't stand Blizzard's UI. I used Supervillain UI while we were leveling, but 7.x broke it! (For now, presumably.) I decided to take matters into my own hands and try to make my own custom UI, and I might also start playing the game left handed. (But that's another story.)

So, a lot of the stuff I want to do can be covered by the basic Unit Frame addons or Action Bar addons or the Auras addons and I just need to practice hacking away at them. (Any suggestions or guides are welcome!) But I also would like to do some weird things that I haven't seen done anywhere else! Maybe because they can't be done...

"Smart" Color-changing Frames
The launcher/homescreen I use on my Android Phone has a cool aesthetic feature where it matches elements of the interface to the colors in my (changing) background. For example, when my background changes to this picture of Andrew Huang, it colors things greyish and yellowish tones and when my background changes to this picture of Aesop Rock, things are greyish and reddish. (Those aren't the exact pictures but they're from the same shoots.) Basically, it looks at the background and figures out what to color the interface based on that.

I'd like for certain frames/backgrounds on my interface to behave like this if possible. Basically, I would like for the frame at the bottom of my screen to tint itself based on the game environment at the bottom of my screen and I'd like for the frame at the top of my screen to tint itself based on the game environment at the top of my screen. The best suggestion I've had regarding this is to make semi-transparent frames and that could work but it won't give me the same effect I'm looking for.

"Extra" Health and Resource Bars
I'd like to have my player unit frame in a similar place as the Blizzard frame, probably. I may end up removing some elements from it, though because I'd like for my health bar and resource bars placed near my action bars towards the bottom-center of the screen. I really like how Guild Warrs 2 lays out a lot of their interface, but I'm not a fan of "vertical" or "circular" or centered health bars. That's my biggest grip with GW2's interface, probably.

I want to have an action bar with about six skill icons for my corresponding keys 1-6 with my resource bar above that. Above the resource bar would be six more icons corresponding to Control + 1-6 . Above that would be any secondary resource for my class and above that would be a smaller stance bar if my class has one. (Activated Control + Shift + num.) The action bars I already know how to set up using Bartender or some other addon, but the resource bars I do not.

There are almost certainly other aspects of configuring the interface that I'll need help with, but I won't realize that until I start making some progress and these things are the pieces I want to start at. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer!
07-26-16, 02:35 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by zovc View Post
The problem is, I really can't stand Blizzard's UI. I used Supervillain UI while we were leveling, but 7.x broke it! (For now, presumably.) I decided to take matters into my own hands and try to make my own custom UI, and I might also start playing the game left handed. (But that's another story.)
This one is marked for 7.0.3, have you tried it?

Sorry I don't have any comments/suggestions for you. I hope others can help.
07-26-16, 03:02 PM   #3
zovc
A Defias Bandit
Hey, I haven't tried that one yet! Thanks!

I still would like to start working on my own personalized UI, though!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Trying to customize my UI, what do I need?