03-16-09, 08:27 PM   #1
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Another one of those "sites hosting without permission" threads

Copy/paste from this thread on the o.forums...

Warning to my fellow addon authors out there, we've got another site hosting addons without getting author permission first. You might want to check http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Games (and it's pc categories?) and make sure they're not hosting your addons without your consent.

Now, they were so kinda as to email me: http://gist.github.com/80232 I've asked them to take down my addons, we'll see what they do. Note that they marked them as "freeware", but I do not use such a license in my addons, nor do I license them in a means that they could mirror them, with or without contacting me first.

Anywho, just a headsup to y'all, looks like my stuff's not the only wow addons up there.
03-16-09, 10:12 PM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

follow this link for the list of World of Warcraft Addons

none of mine are listed first on the list is RothUI
03-16-09, 10:16 PM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Only 20 pages there, they've not been busy at all. That's not all the results either, mine aren't matching that search, but have not been taken down yet.
03-16-09, 10:29 PM   #4
Sythalin
Curse staff

Wow, thanks for the heads up Tekkub. They've also stolen several of my projects as well. Pisses me off mainly because when I quit WoW for a while I specifically stated that I didn't grant permission to ANYONE to clone/update my work (I knew I'd be back eventually).

Emailed the pricks, let's see what happens.
03-16-09, 10:33 PM   #5
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Yea, I'm quite amused by the "Freeware" label on my stuff. Yes, my code is *essentially* freeware... but I never gave permission for it to be mirrored anywhere.
03-16-09, 10:42 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

382 downloads available, by my count. A lot of names I recognize that have the same point of view about copyright protection, iirc past similar discussions. Hopefully you guys (and ladies) can get this sorted out quickly, without too much headache and drama. Good luck, if there's anything you could use from the community here, let us know. I'd be glad to help in any way I could, as I'm sure others feel the same way.
03-16-09, 10:50 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
DMCA Takedown Request Template for your use. Make sure to change the applicable stuff, this was a template from when people were going after Wowkon.
03-16-09, 10:52 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Hey thanks for the heads up ...

I just e-mailed them to remove my addon too. I also suggested they remove them all but I doubt that would happen.

You have to love this from thier "Copyright Information" page:

The following applies to all content published by Softpedia via electronic means, such as Internet websites, email messages and so on, hereinafter referred to as CONTENT.

Most of the CONTENT is original, created by Softpedia staff and is protected by copyright laws. Any reproduction of these works, without Softpedia's written consent, is strictly prohibited and will be punished according to the laws in effect.
Permission to use parts of the CONTENT may be obtained by contacting Softpedia
Maybe they should practice what they preach.
03-16-09, 11:04 PM   #9
Arrowmaster
An Aku'mai Servant
I'm sure Blizzard will be willing to help us out on this one, I found a WoW Private Server for download on there.
03-17-09, 02:39 AM   #10
Slakah
A Molten Giant

I always feel really left out when all this stuff happens. They never bother with my mods .
03-17-09, 04:41 AM   #11
Ravendwyr
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

My SignOn mod is being hosted there aswell... and sending a feedback results in the website crashing for a few moments. I guess a lot of other authors are flaming the website with their rage.

EDIT: OK I've managed to get through, let's see what they say.

Last edited by Ravendwyr : 03-17-09 at 04:43 AM.
03-17-09, 06:17 AM   #12
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Has the idea making the site a "member only" site been suggested yet?

Maybe make it so you can search and browse the site all you want but to download any mod here you need to sign into your account first.

Just a though.

Would doing this prevent programs like wowmatrix and sites like softpedia (which I'm sure use some sort of program as well) from stealing from his site?

Last edited by Sepioth : 03-17-09 at 06:23 AM.
03-17-09, 07:13 AM   #13
aretziel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Has the idea making the site a "member only" site been suggested yet?

Maybe make it so you can search and browse the site all you want but to download any mod here you need to sign into your account first.

Just a though.

Would doing this prevent programs like wowmatrix and sites like softpedia (which I'm sure use some sort of program as well) from stealing from his site?
It's a good and a bad idea ...
Most people don´t like to have to register to get access to things and mainly go somewhere else to get it then.

I know I am one of them, especially if it´s just a single item I am looking for.
03-17-09, 07:29 AM   #14
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

fSlash
fMap (Haven't uploaded here anymore, and won't update.)
HideStuffNow
wIN_Terrupted (Haven't uploaded here anymore, and won't update.)

These are my addons up on that site, i am going to email them right now about bringing the addons down because this is retarded.

I also posted this on the EU forums here.

Regards,
Wimpface.
03-17-09, 10:01 AM   #15
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
I always feel really left out when all this stuff happens. They never bother with my mods .
Heh don't feel bad. The only addon I'm involved in is QuestHelper, and its LGPL, so I don't get any fun either :-P
03-17-09, 10:17 AM   #16
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
just wanted to let people know my request to remove my mod was accepeted a few mins ago.

From my email response:

Hello,
Following your request to remove Quietcopter addon for Wow, we have blacklisted the item from our database.

--

Best regards,
Ionit Ilascu

I still get in the search results but link goes to a 404 error.

Last edited by Sepioth : 03-17-09 at 01:52 PM.
03-17-09, 01:19 PM   #17
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Huh. I just got a WoWI private message from someone asking me for permission for softpedia to host one of my addons (Overachiever).. I had no contact with them before.

I tried searching for it there by name but nothing came up. However, using the link tinyu provided, I was able to find it in the big list, but clicking the link results in a 404 page.

Last edited by Tuhljin : 03-17-09 at 01:33 PM.
03-17-09, 01:32 PM   #18
Sythalin
Curse staff

My work was removed.

There's no need to shout or use foul language. We apologize for any inconvenience though.

All listed add-ons have been blacklisted and are no longer part of Sofpedia database.

Should you change your mind, follow this link to submit your add-ons.
Sorry, some of us aren't so politically correct about such matters you douchebags.

They also sent me an email before it:

Hello,

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience, but in the archived file there was nowhere stated that in order to host the mod we need to ask for permission. If it is not too late, I would like to officially ask for permission to host you files. We will constantly keep track of the mods progress and whenever it is updated we will do so as well. If you wish, you could also submit the newer versions to us so that we can update it as soon as possible.

Also, is you ever want us to host one of your mods you can use the Submission Panel and in a maximum of 24 hours we will update our website with your software. Whenever you send us a submission via Submission Panel, you will automatically give us permission to host your products.

Best Regards,

Adrian Arsene
Apparently these guys are the only ones who missed the giant red text I posted on my mods during my "vacation".
03-17-09, 01:47 PM   #19
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

in the archived file there was nowhere stated that in order to host the mod we need to ask for permission
Somebody needs to learn how copyright works...
03-17-09, 01:50 PM   #20
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Tuhljin View Post
Huh. I just got a WoWI private message from someone asking me for permission for softpedia to host one of my addons (Overachiever).. I had no contact with them before.

I tried searching for it there by name but nothing came up. However, using the link tinyu provided, I was able to find it in the big list, but clicking the link results in a 404 page.
Wait, what? They used our site to contact you? Mind giving me the name of the account that contacted you, please?

Has anyone else been contacted by them via this site?
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Another one of those "sites hosting without permission" threads