11-26-08, 07:15 AM   #1
Narune
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Raid Icon Variables

I don't know if there is already an addon out there that does this, but it's something I've been thinking about for a while.

I've noticed now that the combat log shows the raid icon of the mobs, and it made me think "wouldn't it be great if you could target a mob based solely on it's raid icon". This is what I propose...

Some talented coder out there create an addon that monitors to see which units have been assigned raid icons, and assign that particular mob to a corresponding variable for use in macros. Then any users of the mod could create simple macros that would ensure proper targeting for assigned tasks, or DPS. All this addon would need to do is create variables for each of the raid icons, and have them dynamically set to the corresponding unit.

Let's say your raid team has a pretty standard DPS order of Skull, then X, then circle, (and so on, but I'll keep it short) you could use a macro similar to this for targeting, and always be on the money for your DPS.

Code:
/targetenemy[nohelp,nodead,exists]
/target[nohelp,nodead,exists]%circle
/target[nohelp,nodead,exists]%cross
/target[nohelp,nodead,exists]%skull
/startattack
or say for example you are a mage and you generally call square as your sheep target. You could have a macro in your book that would always do the trick.

Code:
/cast[target=%square,nohelp,nodead,exists]Polymorph
an addon like this could mean no more split DPS. It could also mean that guild officers could post macros for boss fights where specific DPS order is important, and even tailor specific macros for certain classes. this could also be used in conjunction with other addons that put the skull icon on specific player's when they get a certain debuff during a boss fight. Decursers could have a predefined macro set up for that boss fight to save that player.

I got the idea for this kind of thing back in the days of early BC doing Curator, and Illhoof, after having macros set up for targetting Astral Flares, and Demon Chains, but don't have a lick of programming experience to know what it would take.

Last edited by Narune : 11-26-08 at 07:19 AM.
11-26-08, 10:16 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This is as close as you will get: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...icTargets.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-26-08, 09:15 PM   #3
Narune
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thank you Seerah, but Magic Targets is not quite what I had in mind. I'm not really interested on having more bars on my screen these days, especially if I can't click them. I believe I read something back in patch notes that when they first changed the combat log system, that they made it possible to differentiate between mobs with the same name, and units like totems, and such. If that is the case it should make the kind of addon I'm suggesting possible to create.

11-26-08, 09:25 PM   #4
Akryn
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Narune View Post
Thank you Seerah, but Magic Targets is not quite what I had in mind. I'm not really interested on having more bars on my screen these days, especially if I can't click them. I believe I read something back in patch notes that when they first changed the combat log system, that they made it possible to differentiate between mobs with the same name, and units like totems, and such. If that is the case it should make the kind of addon I'm suggesting possible to create.
However, it does not. There is no way, secure or otherwise, to target by GUID, or directly by raid target. It is definitely not possible for an addon to create variables that you could then use in place of names in your own macros. The only thing that even comes close to what you want is automatic out-of-combat creation of "/target Name" macros when they get assigned a symbol, but that doesn't work for PvE because 2 mobs can have the same name (plus, the addon couldn't update them if the symbols changed in combat).

What you want is impossible, it gets asked all the time. Bliz won't let it happen because addons can arbitrarily assign the raid symbols, which means that if you could make macros based on them you could have an addon pick targets for you.
11-26-08, 10:04 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep - like I said, Magic Targets is as close as you'll get.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Raid Icon Variables