09-17-12, 03:08 PM   #1
cc2150dx
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs down Question to Rythal or Devs

Is anyone at all going to fix the issues with Carbo or is it dead. Rythal...you have been awesome with your fix and it works better tbh. Rythal, please let us know if you can do your own version that would be awesome...as for the Devs.......do something or post one or the other, dont just leave everyone hanging...

09-17-12, 03:22 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by cc2150dx View Post
Is anyone at all going to fix the issues with Carbo or is it dead. Rythal...you have been awesome with your fix and it works better tbh. Rythal, please let us know if you can do your own version that would be awesome...as for the Devs.......do something or post one or the other, dont just leave everyone hanging...
I've been trying to help to the best of my ability.

I've been in contact with Faatal now, and sent him a list of changes the official version needs as he is willing to look at my fixes to get things repaired faster, but that method of fixing things does not work 100% ... like for MoP for example, I would need to find everything I added to make it work, then download 5.041 and redo all those changes again finding the new location (the obfuscation moves stuff every version, so what's on like 1111 in 4.301, will not be on 1111 in 5.041 .. it might be on line 21029 etc) and then send them the change log. Finding everything I changed would be near impossible as I kept no record of every line / variable, I just mowed ahead with fixing it.

09-17-12, 03:59 PM   #3
Twink
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
a more sensible way of doing it would be to roll out your change officially then move on from there :-/

09-17-12, 06:05 PM   #4
Goranth
An Aku'mai Servant
Problem with that theory..... If he posts his own, especially after being told not to, he could get in a lot of legal ****. I am happy to hear that there has been some collaboration with the actual Carbonite team. I have a better idea.

I am still running the last fan update. I was offline for a couple days when the 'official' release came out and after reading up first, decided I would just leave it be. I have ZERO LUA errors so far and things that were never fixed for the whole of Cata are working.

Why not take Rythal's version and fix from there. It sounds to me like half the work that Fataal would have to do is done and if there is to be more collaboration, why not start with something that works instead of a rushed & broken appeasement. I know for one, and I hope the authors take no offence to this, but I am NOT updating **** until I see that Rythal and the rest of the active community have given it the same or better review as the last fan update. Hell from the sounds of it, had the dev patch not come out, we would have a pristine Carbonite localized to every zone by now.

All the best and I hope that the logical, sensible and fan-winning decision to fix this mess up with Rythal's help (or sign-over) continues and exceeds our hopes.

09-17-12, 09:09 PM   #5
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Please read the other threads before posting. This has all been hashed out at least 5 times (though I'm not counting) through the threads.

09-17-12, 10:55 PM   #6
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post

I've been in contact with Faatal now, and sent him a list of changes the official version needs as he is willing to look at my fixes to get things repaired faster, but that method of fixing things does not work 100% ... like for MoP for example, I would need to find everything I added to make it work, then download 5.041 and redo all those changes again finding the new location (the obfuscation moves stuff every version, so what's on like 1111 in 4.301, will not be on 1111 in 5.041 .. it might be on line 21029 etc) and then send them the change log. Finding everything I changed would be near impossible as I kept no record of every line / variable, I just mowed ahead with fixing it.
so glad faatal is willing to look and take the help he need's.
keep up the good work Rythal.
look like carbonite will live for mop.

09-17-12, 11:29 PM   #7
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons

Only Brainstorming.

Can you Talk with Faatal to put Carbonite to Github? So other Users can send Patches (via Pull Request) and maybe so the Community can help with fixing Bugs, without breaking the Licence

09-18-12, 12:50 AM   #8
Meganbtoo
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Please read the other threads before posting. This has all been hashed out at least 5 times (though I'm not counting) through the threads.
But something has changed - the authors are talking to our fixer now, so all the hashing out has been worth it. It may not be approved by all but it would help many of us if they were to collaborate. If we had all just kept silent and not discussed it at any length, nothing would have changed so the talk has helped us.

09-18-12, 01:03 AM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by gOOvER View Post
Only Brainstorming.

Can you Talk with Faatal to put Carbonite to Github? So other Users can send Patches (via Pull Request) and maybe so the Community can help with fixing Bugs, without breaking the Licence
They've always had the option of using our Repository.

09-18-12, 01:09 AM   #10
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
They've always had the option of using our Repository.
Ok, but Does WoWI support the same Features for Git like Github?? In the Past i used Repros from Addon Sites, but for Team Development both don't have the Features for this. I moved all my addon to Github for example.

With the Pullrequest you can easiely merge Patches with one click ^^

09-18-12, 01:57 AM   #11
cc2150dx
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks so much for all the info...sounds like everything is smooth sailing from here I hope...Thanks to Faatal for a wonderful addon and thanks to all those helping out!!!

09-18-12, 03:15 AM   #12
Mfxc
A Defias Bandit
Rythal please help us .... ^^

Rythal, can you post again your previous fix that was getting the job done?

Wondering if we can get a sign from the devs…
What an impressive sign of respect for those like me who donated to support carbonite development…

09-18-12, 04:06 AM   #13
Livanamako
A Murloc Raider

Survival guide:
While we wait for a more official release I'll list a few solutions (hopefully not enough to be a legal issue):

Quest log problem:

Remove lines ((carbonite 5.041) Carbonite\Carbonite.lua line 7945-7947 (Search for QUEST_LOG_DAILY_COUNT_TEMPLATE)):
if daD1>0 then
daS1=format(QUEST_LOG_DAILY_COUNT_TEMPLATE,daD1,GetMaxDailyQuests())
end

Teleport in/out of instance:

Make macro with this code: /run LFGTeleport(IsInLFGDungeon())
Obviously put macro on bar to use when you need to get in and out (mostly in)

I'll remove this post (or remove code from it) if this temporary solution isn't to everyones liking.

I understand that the people behind Carbonite either are too busy or can't earn enough from Carbonite for it to be worthwhile. In total I think I 'only' have contributed 30$ or so since I began using it in mid 2010. I use a lot of addons that deserve support, but seemed to me like these people originally put in some good work. I'm sorry to hear that they also ran into some personal problems. These days they might be focusing resources more on a job that can pay them and their families.

Keep up the spirit.

Last edited by Livanamako : 09-18-12 at 07:51 AM.

09-18-12, 05:01 AM   #14
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by Livanamako View Post
Survival guide:
While we wait for a more official release I'll list a few solutions (hopefully not enough to be a legal issue):
I don't believe that ^^ Sorry, but i don't Trust the Dev's of Carbonite longer (just my 2 Cents)

09-19-12, 07:58 PM   #15
amkosh
A Murloc Raider

Obfuscation? Seriously?

Copying from the official WoW forums:

"2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public. "

What scares me now is that if I use something that I know (or have a reasonably good idea) that breaks the ToS (and the ToS does include forum info IIRC), then aren't I in violation of the ToS by using it?

09-19-12, 08:27 PM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
It isn't obfuscated and it was cleared by Blizz.

09-19-12, 09:51 PM   #17
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
She is correct, Carbonite has been cleared by Blizzard as in compliance with their ToS. This was something that Carbonite wanted and did as soon as Blizzard released the new ToS compliance requirements.

However, under general comprehension of most people (from what I have heard, I'm not a programmer nor do I look into it) the code is obfuscated because it's renamed (or not named for functions) and the codes move locations each release. Also, the code doesn't have a good commenting about what each part does as a lot of script writers like to do. This does not go against Blizzard because everything is still visible, accessible and given enough time and attention, someone (like Rythal) could go through the whole code and decode it all if they wanted to.

09-19-12, 10:14 PM   #18
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't mean to be contrary, but parts of carbonite are undeniably obfuscated.

The tables Nx.GuD and Nx.ZoC are encrypted, for example. Whatever data they contain is not readable without reverse engineering it.

Nx.Que1 is over a million characters long and also contains encrypted data.

It's not as obfuscated as it was when they sold licenses for it, but to say it's "in no way hidden or obfuscated" would be a bit of a stretch.

The entire script is also clearly still written in a way to make it extremely difficult to figure out what a given function actually does, which if I understand the ToS correctly (and I must not) is not acceptable.

I don't personally care one way or the other whether carbonite or any other addon is obfuscated, but if blizzard cleared this one then the rules are far more lax than they appear.

This does not go against Blizzard because everything is still visible, accessible and given enough time and attention, someone (like Rythal) could go through the whole code and decode it all if they wanted to.
I want to address this point as a programmer. It's literally not possible to write an addon that couldn't be reverse engineered, so that's kind of like saying anything goes. In order for the script to work in-game it has to contain all of the necessary instructions to decode itself.

Last edited by semlar : 09-19-12 at 10:37 PM.

09-20-12, 06:21 AM   #19
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
They don't play anymore

The person that made this does not even play anymore. He fixed it for MOP to help people that liked his program. He works on it in his spare time. Its not a priority . Real life should always come first.

09-20-12, 07:06 AM   #20
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Yes it has been cleared by blizz, so the addon is ok.. no one is questioning that... what we question is blizzards addon policy because they are very inconsistent with it

It is obfuscated tho and I've seen posts from both you personally and folks from curse when people asked why there addon was refused, saying it was for doing the exact things carbonite does. The variables are not clear, in most cases only 1 or 2 letters, all white space removed, functions are all scattered about, and relocated every release so there is no trail to follow, and as mentioned above at least 3 tables are clearly encrypted.

But the addon passes blizz and they say it's ok... it's like the paid for addons, how and why are they still around even tho the policy forbids them, it's not something for us to be asking you guys tho.. you got the ok the addon is fine, it's blizzard who should be answering these questions.

Last edited by Rythal : 09-20-12 at 07:26 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Question to Rythal or Devs